Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 03:45 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times

Advertisements

Who popularized this term? I've never heard it used so much until recently.

I am posting this question here since its usually used as a political insult from what I can tell. If you plug in "snowflake" into the search box, 90% of threads that contain this are in this Political forum.

So who gets the credit for making this a common insult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 04:26 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post

I am posting this question here since its usually used as a political insult from what I can tell. If you plug in "snowflake" into the search box, 90% of threads that contain this are in this Political forum.

The term evolved to describe the millennial's who have lived very sheltered lives compared to many previous generations. e.g the one distant relative I have that had to be shown how to use a broom at the age of 20.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:14 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The term evolved to describe the millennial's who have lived very sheltered lives compared to many previous generations. e.g the one distant relative I have that had to be shown how to use a broom at the age of 20.
Correct, and now we discover that the Head Snowflake is actually sitting the oval office and his minions are not much better. Whatever, this is where we are now. Good to see the coal industry is Booming again.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:16 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There are whiners and criers in every generation. We just have technology now that makes it so that it is harder to ignore said whiners and criers. This generational nonsense gets a bit old. And, surprise surprise (not), the younger people tend to use that technology more. But man, I have seem some nonsense posted by older people whining on Facebook (or Twitter)...

The millennials are know are too busy to be complaining about this stuff - they are having children, buying homes, or just churning through the corporate world. Like all other generations before them.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:23 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Snowflakes are unique and popularize with “no two snowflakes look alike” compared to how children today are brought up believing that they are unique and special. When they find out they are not special or unique, their immature attitudes cause them to whine... much like the anti-Trumpers when they found out that they lost and are not the center of the universe...

Old 11-03-2017, 06:23 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post

As far as i can tell the origin is from early 90's motivational posters that said something like "you are special and unique just like a snowflake" some variation of that, it might even been an apple thing along that whole "think different" campaign.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:49 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
Keep in mind that no child raises itself. Millennials are the end product of their parent/parents, schools, internet, and television. If you think Millennials are bad wait for the next batch.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:53 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Most of the next batch is being raised by paid strangers.

That can't be good.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:02 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
There are whiners and criers in every generation.
I'd agree but that isn't the point I making. This generation has been brought up by overly protective parents in an overly regimented lifestyle.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:05 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,148 times
The original meaning of snowflake comes from the concentration camps. As the ashes floated through the air from the ovens, the guards referred to them as snowflakes. It is intended to demean whomever they refer to as a snowflake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies