Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2017, 08:21 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The GOP tax plan is a tax increase for many middle-class and upper middle-class.
And it ADDS to the debt by trillions of dollars and adds to the defiticit.

It's a lose-lose situation for America, unless you're a billionaire.
It's what the people have voted for over many elections. Nothing unusual about getting what you vote for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 09:38 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times
What leaves me scratching my head and wondering is why they're trying to pass tax reform behind closed doors without bipartisan support? Why are they trying to rush it through without a CBO score? Maybe it's me but doesn't this seem like the same sketchy pattern used x3 to repeal the ACA? The tax bill is still in the early stages, but, the secretive, underhanded, sketchy way in which it's being formed makes me distrust that this for the good of the American people.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:41 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The "crumb" for the middle class is actually the additional tax we must pay to finance the cuts for people like Trump, who is getting a $31 million cut.
Having not seen his tax returns how did you arrive at that number?

Old 11-07-2017, 09:47 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's what the people have voted for over many elections. Nothing unusual about getting what you vote for.

A "tax cut for billionaires" with a "tax increase on many middle-class" was not on the ballot, so it's impossible that people voted for this. Most people don't support this tax plan unless they are billionaires or owners of C-corporations.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...rgin/23266457/
Americans oppose Republican tax plan by 17-point margin

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/31/trum...poll-says.html
25 percent of the public calls the Trump tax plan a good idea

Poll: Fewer than a third of Americans support Trump
28 percent of those surveyed in the Reuters/Ipsos poll said they would support the "tax reform plan recently proposed by congressional Republicans,”

Old 11-07-2017, 09:52 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,167,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I'm really wondering what there is to like about this tax plan. It marginally fiddles with rates and shifts some tax burden around within the middle class and offers substantial tax relief to the wealthy. I suppose a phaseout of SALT may compel some tax reform in NY, NJ, and CA, but is that really such a laudable goal for the party that controls the executive and legislature?

Fox News ran an interesting OP piece on this yesterday: I'm Conservative and I hate the Republican tax plan

The people who are going to be crushed most by this plan will be small business owners owners and middle-class families in high cost of living states. The main gains will be felt by big business and the most wealthy. And all this while adding $1.5tr to the deficit? I just don't get it.

I would love to see a broad simplification of the tax code, a reduction in marginal rates for businesses while putting special-interest loopholes on the chopping block and/or imposing a business-deduction limit (like an AMT). This plan just seems like a bunch of aimless jiggery-pokery that will benefit those who least need the benefit.
I'm middle class , perhaps upper middle and I don't live in a high COL state and it hits us too. No one seems to notice that a big chunk in the former 33% bracket is moving to the 35% bracket. I don't mind paying s little more in taxes but not to subsidize tax cuts for millionaires and corporations who are already flush with cash and haven't raised wages in years.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:54 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,637,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I'm really wondering what there is to like about this tax plan. It marginally fiddles with rates and shifts some tax burden around within the middle class and offers substantial tax relief to the wealthy. I suppose a phaseout of SALT may compel some tax reform in NY, NJ, and CA, but is that really such a laudable goal for the party that controls the executive and legislature?

Fox News ran an interesting OP piece on this yesterday: I'm Conservative and I hate the Republican tax plan

The people who are going to be crushed most by this plan will be small business owners owners and middle-class families in high cost of living states. The main gains will be felt by big business and the most wealthy. And all this while adding $1.5tr to the deficit? I just don't get it.

I would love to see a broad simplification of the tax code, a reduction in marginal rates for businesses while putting special-interest loopholes on the chopping block and/or imposing a business-deduction limit (like an AMT). This plan just seems like a bunch of aimless jiggery-pokery that will benefit those who least need the benefit.
comment section: the rich are the party of the rich...

Old 11-07-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
What leaves me scratching my head and wondering is why they're trying to pass tax reform behind closed doors without bipartisan support? Why are they trying to rush it through without a CBO score? Maybe it's me but doesn't this seem like the same sketchy pattern used x3 to repeal the ACA? The tax bill is still in the early stages, but, the secretive, underhanded, sketchy way in which it's being formed makes me distrust that this for the good of the American people.
It doesn't worry me as it can't be done.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
A "tax cut for billionaires" with a "tax increase on many middle-class" was not on the ballot, so it's impossible that people voted for this. Most people don't support this tax plan unless they are billionaires or owners of C-corporations.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...rgin/23266457/
Americans oppose Republican tax plan by 17-point margin

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/31/trum...poll-says.html
25 percent of the public calls the Trump tax plan a good idea

Poll: Fewer than a third of Americans support Trump
28 percent of those surveyed in the Reuters/Ipsos poll said they would support the "tax reform plan recently proposed by congressional Republicans,”
This is the way it always goes. People say they do not support this or that but yet they continue to re-elect those who push this or that.

Hence, they support it.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:58 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is looking horrible for $200K S-Corp owners. Massive tax hikes for them, because this bill will force them to take 70% of income as salary.
OMG they force people to take income as salary for people who WORK.. the horrors..

Old 11-07-2017, 09:58 AM

20,758 posts, read 8,559,342 times
Rich people and special interests fighting hard against this tax reform bill. Gosh, I wonder why?

Nothing is final yet but I recommend people look at the comparison charts for old and new rates to get a sense of their savings. Make sure you are looking at articles on business websites because they actually understand finance, unlike mainstream media presstitutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies