Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 05:48 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,529,947 times

Advertisements

Not really, I think all this statue take downs are childish
But let's see if these statue take downers go by what they are preaching, or if perhaps they are bias and racist?
Doesn't look like Martin Luther King is a Saint after all.
Maybe all the schools that our children go to named after him should be changed too. Schools named after a person who cheated on his wife and had drunken orgies.......

JFK files link MLK Jr. to multiple affairs, say he possibly fathered child out of wedlock

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxne...dlock.amp.html

A dossier on Martin Luther King Jr. claims the civil rights leader possibly fathered a child out of wedlock, and had an affinity for orgies.

The data, part of the JFK files recently released by the National Archives, also includes the assertion that singer Joan Baez was among the multiple women with whom King allegedly had affairs, the New York Daily News reported.

Described in the 20-page report is a "two-day drunken sex orgy in Washington, D.C." that was linked to an event that King attended, the Washington Examiner reported.

The dossier cites information obtained from “a responsible Los Angeles individual,” who was said to be a relative of King’s alleged lover -- who was described as the wife of a prominent black dentist. The source said King may have fathered a baby girl with the woman, the Daily News reported.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:54 AM

26,566 posts, read 15,136,083 times
MLK Jr. said that being gay was a problem that needed the solution of becoming straight.

MLK Jr. said sexist things and made crude jokes - supposedly even at JFK's funeral. Women in the SCLC said they were relegated to getting coffee and left out of discussion and leadership issues.

A woman who was physically abused by her husband asked MLK Jr. for advice and he told her "Are you sure that you have a radiating personality, a pleasant disposition, and that feminine charm which every man admires?" As if it her were her fault she was being physically abused, because she didn't have feminine charm...

I doubt that they will go for him, because doing so would split the left, but if we are judging historical figures based on 2017 morals - then MLK Jr.'s memorial is a legitimate target.

I think we have to look at the net impact and the standards of society at the time.

MLK had some severe flaws. MLK was a sexist and a homophobe by 2017 standards and not a faithful husband. Yet his impact on the country is what put him in history and his sexism, homophobia, and being a poor spouse don't detract from his Southern Christian Leadership Conference. Our nation owes MLK a debt of gratitude for his leadership on Civil Rights.

Last edited by michiganmoon; 11-04-2017 at 06:26 AM..

Old 11-04-2017, 06:33 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,400,671 times
Don't think I heard about the orgies before. Everything else yeah.

Putting up statues is retarded but what's even more retarded is taking them down.

If one comes down all should come down following a logically consistent approach.

I'd much rather the ones that are up simply stay up, MLK included.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
MLK Jr. said that being gay was a problem that needed the solution of becoming straight.

MLK Jr. said sexist things and made crude jokes - supposedly even at JFK's funeral. Women in the SCLC said they were relegated to getting coffee and left out of discussion and leadership issues.

A woman who was physically abused by her husband asked MLK Jr. for advice and he told her "Are you sure that you have a radiating personality, a pleasant disposition, and that feminine charm which every man admires?" As if it her were her fault she was being physically abused, because she didn't have feminine charm...

I doubt that they will go for him, because doing so would split the left, but if we are judging historical figures based on 2017 morals - then MLK Jr.'s memorial is a legitimate target.

I think we have to look at the net impact and the standards of society at the time.

MLK had some severe flaws. MLK was a sexist and a homophobe by 2017 standards and not a faithful husband. Yet his impact on the country is what put him in history and his sexism, homophobia, and being a poor spouse don't detract from his Southern Christian Leadership Conference. Our nation owes MLK a debt of gratitude for his leadership on Civil Rights.
I had not heard he did all these things

I believe he did some good things too as you mentioned as a Christian Leader. A hypocrite he was, yes but some listened to his preach of goodness.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Don't think I heard about the orgies before. Everything else yeah.

Putting up statues is retarded but what's even more retarded is taking them down.

If one comes down all should come down following a logically consistent approach.

I'd much rather the ones that are up simply stay up, MLK included.

Statues have been around since BC dated I believe. If not, they have been around for centuries.
I do like looking at the really old statues that still exist or photographs and drawings of them. It does reflect on the time in history which is interesting to me.

This “movement” to take them down, because of a groups insecurity and power hunger hit off the rocker scale to me.
If a rhetoric was started to take down MLK statues I would bet that these self righteous libs would cry out racism.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:31 AM

7,493 posts, read 6,279,236 times
Taking down MLK statues is one thing. Just contemplate renaming all the MLK streets. That would be a big undertaking.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:15 AM

487 posts, read 546,110 times
When I read the article this morning about Martin Luther King, honestly I was quite surprised about some of the things said. My first thought was let’s see how this will be handled, especially with Mayor DeBlasio in NYC who has a committee set up to look at every statue, picture, etc. displayed within his City. I want to see if he and the Reverend Sharpton are going to add Martin Luther King to their list or just not address it.

For the record, I am not for taking down these statutes. They are part of our history.. Seeing these statutes defaced and damaged is upsetting. Just curious how this will addressed, especially by Mayor DeBlasio.

A

Old 11-04-2017, 09:18 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,067,920 times
From what I have read -- that information in those documents was from unnamed sources. The FBI was trying to discredit King. They never used this information because they couldn't substantiate it.

So the validity of the information is at question.

As for statues. On private land -- let them be - on public -- if they offend take them down.

Last edited by moneill; 11-04-2017 at 09:29 AM..

Old 11-04-2017, 09:20 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,695,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Taking down MLK statues is one thing. Just contemplate renaming all the MLK streets. That would be a big undertaking.
Nah.

The could just rename them to what they were before. The rename streets to MLK has only been around for 20-30 years and confined mostly confined to Democrat plantation cities.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:31 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,067,920 times
Well the problem is that the information in the documents isn't validated.

If you research a little -- you find that this information was dug up by Hoover to be used to discredit King. He never used it because they couldn't 'vet' the information. It wasn't credible.

So -- it's hard to discuss something like this with a bunch of perhaps maybe not information.

As for wanting to take down statues. On public lands if there are enough people in the community who don't want it -- well take it down -- I don't care what statue is -- lol.

On private land -- they can do what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies