Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2017, 08:40 PM

56,975 posts, read 25,911,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Florida minimum wage as of January 1 2018, is $8.25. Are you insane to suggest someone should more than double that for menial labor? LOL. People are right when they say liberalism is a disease.
The conversation is regarding Mar-A-Lago, can they not increase wages above $11 an hour to attract American workers. They just increased membership fees $50k but they can’t afford an increase in wages. I thought this was the president that placed Americans first. Rather hypocritical to complain about Carrier sending jobs to Mexico while he imports workers from outside the country.

Last edited by Goodnight; 11-04-2017 at 09:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 08:42 PM

13,389 posts, read 6,394,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
That's your way of admitting you have no response to my showing you that there are many Americans who would be happy to take seasonal jobs. You know it and I know it. And so does everyone else reading this thread.
No that is my way of saying that you refused to answer the legitimate question I asked you with regard to whether or not you would pay people for work they didn't do.;

Old 11-04-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I think there's a lot of people that would take seasonal jobs in Florida. All you would have to do is advertise the jobs in cities all over the eastern U.S. on the big job posting sites.
I think you would be surprised. People cannot survive on seasonal jobs. Further, unemployment rate is less than 5% in most of FL. There are plenty of jobs for people besides seasonal jobs.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Another blind Trump loyalist. Yes, there is hypocrisy going on. Even more so because one of Trumps rants was that illegal's were taking away American jobs. Why are you all so blind to that?

What kind of people want jobs for eight months? People who need to pay their bills until something else comes along. People who need extra money for their kids, holidays, to get their car fixed, pay rent, etc.

Need I go on? It's time for you all to pull your head out of the sand.
Get real. Unemployment rate in FL is less than 5%. There is no shortage of jobs. Why should businesses hire low lifes for seasonal jobs who will only hang out until they can find something year round?

Old 11-04-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Actually some people prefer a job where they only work 8 months out of a year.
Who would that be?

If there were a ton of them in Palm Beach, I'm guessing the resorts there not just Mar-A-Lago, would not have had to resort to foreign guest workers.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
The really amusing part is, that same poster talked about how her own landscaper pieced together seasonal jobs in order to survive. Then she comes back and tries to tell us that NO ONE wants seasonal jobs, right after telling us that she actually knows someone who does.

Hilarious.
Liar.

My landscaper does not depend on or piece together seasonal jobs to survive.
He has two permanent jobs.

He augments his permanent jobs a seasonal job. And in any case, as far as I know, he only did this in the past year.

Someone who augments their current income with extra income from a seasonal job is hardly the same as someone who WANTS a seasonal job to survive. LOL,. Get real.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:57 PM

18,986 posts, read 9,015,185 times
Quote:
Liar.

My landscaper does not depend on or piece together seasonal jobs to survive.
He has two permanent jobs.

He augments his permanent jobs a seasonal job. And in any case, as far as I know, he only did this in the past year.

Someone who augments their current income with extra income from a seasonal job is hardly the same as someone who WANTS a seasonal job to survive. LOL,. Get real.
I'll let your own words be my response:

Quote:
The orchards you speak of rely on FL seasonal workers moving north to pick apples and or other fruits. I know, because my FL landscaper does this. The people picking your apples are people who are piecing together other seasonal jobs for a living.
So either you were lying before or you're lying now.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:58 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,218,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The job description was created to exclude US workers.

One has to be available to work a maximum of 5 hours a day/ 7 days/ wk including weekends and holidays for $11.88/ hr, during split shifts between the hours of 7:00a- 11:00p.

This precludes the ability of a worker to work elsewhere.
You can't say that because you don't know their shifts.

Yet, this is why Americans with jobs & Americans looking for jobs, don't usually want seasonal work.

Like this guy:

Quote:
“I’ve been cooking at a country club most of my life, so I was interested,” Loseille said. But, after learning more about the job, he turned Mar-a-Lago down. “I’m looking for full-time work, not seasonal,” he said.
Quote:
Bottom line, Mar-a-Lago pays the employee $ 3.71/ HR to forgo other employment opportunities in a seasonally tight local labor market. Where exactly does a worker go during down time if he/ she does not agree to pay Mara-a-Lago $50-75 / week for housing, deducted from the low wage? Notice the ad did not offer board. The employee is responsible for their own food.
Where did you find out that an employee is responsible for their own food? I waited tables in college - salad bar (excellent salad bar) was free. Anything off the menu was heavily discounted. Didn't find out about that little perk until I interviewed.

What a Mar-a-Lago employee will be paid, according to this ad: $11.88/hr/35hr wk. $415.80/wk.

Are employers supposed to be worried about their employees "other" jobs or "potential" jobs?

The correct answer is NO.

Quote:
The POTUS, who ran on a campaign to put America first/ make America great again and create jobs, offers prospective employees $3.71/ HR, less housing expenses.
They are seasonal workers who make $415.80/week. Their personal expenses are theirs to worry about, no one elses.

Quote:
Why doesn't Mar-a-Lago participate in the local annual Palm Beach job fair? Could it be that no one in their right mind would apply, when better jobs that pay more are being offered by the competition? How embarrassing.
Which annual PB job fair?

I've been to plenty of job fairs as a rep...never seen a country club looking for seasonal wait staff or potty cleaners.

Quote:
Mar-a-Lago employs serious hundreds of people, in season. They offer better value proposistions to others than the one advertized, else they would be unable to fill any position.
Oh, so Mar-a-Lago isn't so bad, now?

Quote:
Mar-a-Lago GAMES certain job descriptions to exclude American workers in favor of legally importing foreign workers.
How does one GAME a job description?

The job is what the job is, the pay is what the pay is (and what the job is worth to pay ANYONE), the job requirements are what the job requirements are.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I'll let your own words be my response:

So either you were lying before or you're lying now.
What? Lol. Do you really think you fool people with your BS?

Again, I ask you do you pay people for doing nothing?

Old 11-04-2017, 09:35 PM

56,975 posts, read 25,911,628 times
These resorts in Florida and other places game the system to maintain profits, all they need to do is increase wages. They do the same thing in the Hamptons, there are plenty of seasonal workers that will take these seasonal jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies