Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2017, 07:43 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times

Advertisements

The thing that I think I'm the only one seeing - the one moment in time that seems to be the tipping point - is at the years 1999/2000 that before that period (when Columbine happened and rocked the country) few households had the Internet in their home, and after that year EVERY home got a computer.

Am I the only one who notices this as the biggest, most obviously contributing factor for these shootings: The INTERNET?

It seems so apparent and clear to me. For whatever the reason(s) - ability to look anything up, the fact people live on forever in their infamy on the Internet, the fact you can research so much easier from the Internet in your home - the Internet/computer in persons home, is the reason why since Columbine was on Time magazine, it now happens like clockwork.

STOP GIVING THESE PEOPLE FAME!!! We all need to stop giving them the fame they want...or this is going to continue on...and on...and on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 07:58 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
A good third of my firearms were Private Purchases, many gun owners are the same. No one in the government knows everything I own, and there is nothing illegal in it, as it should be.
I'm not sure how that contradicts anything that I said...

Old 11-08-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
The thing that I think I'm the only one seeing - the one moment in time that seems to be the tipping point - is at the years 1999/2000 that before that period (when Columbine happened and rocked the country) few households had the Internet in their home, and after that year EVERY home got a computer.
Am I the only one who notices this as the biggest, most obviously contributing factor for these shootings: The INTERNET?
It seems so apparent and clear to me. For whatever the reason(s) - ability to look anything up, the fact people live on forever in their infamy on the Internet, the fact you can research so much easier from the Internet in your home - the Internet/computer in persons home, is the reason why since Columbine was on Time magazine, it now happens like clockwork.
STOP GIVING THESE PEOPLE FAME!!! We all need to stop giving them the fame they want...or this is going to continue on...and on...and on...
So..when 500 people are shot in Las Vegas, or 50 in Texas we just shouldn't talk about it? And how exactly would you make that happen?

Old 11-08-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
So..when 500 people are shot in Las Vegas, or 50 in Texas we just shouldn't talk about it? And how exactly would you make that happen?
What I'm saying is that to me that is clearly the driver of this copycat trend. Absolutely without a doubt.

I didn't propose how we would go about dealing with it, just that it's twofold: Internet (for several reasons) and nutter wanting fame (and getting it via the media and the Internet).

How do we stop it? I don't think we can stop the Internet in any way; this is the new world, so we all better get used to it. The 2nd Amendment isn't negotiable.

The only way I think we could minimize the events of the future that are sure to occur (in my opinion) lie here:

1) The mainstream media needs to stop publicizing these events like they do, and 2) mental health needs to be dealt with more proactively, and 3) follow the law and punish people who commit guns crimes, and 4)
allow law abiding citizens to carry more easily

Never going to end these crazies altogether, but we can make less of them happen.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:20 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
What I'm saying is that to me that is clearly the driver of this copycat trend. Absolutely without a doubt.

I didn't propose how we would go about dealing with it, just that it's twofold: Internet (for several reasons) and nutter wanting fame (and getting it via the media and the Internet).

How do we stop it? I don't think we can stop the Internet in any way; this is the new world, so we all better get used to it. The 2nd Amendment isn't negotiable.

The only way I think we could minimize the events of the future that are sure to occur (in my opinion) lie here:

1) The mainstream media needs to stop publicizing these events like they do, and 2) mental health needs to be dealt with more proactively, and 3) follow the law and punish people who commit guns crimes, and 4)

Never going to end these crazies altogether, but we can make less of them happen.
Both parties are to blame for the mental health problems. The liberals wanted the mental hospitals closed and push for light sentences. The conservatives don't want to spend the money for mental health care and for more jails.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well Sleepy, there is this....
Ok then let's get rid of all government databases, SS can handwrite your checks, IRS can do the same for your refunds, DOD can keep all records of service members in ledger books, same with VA.
Since I haven't heard you screaming that we should shut down those databases I'm guessing that the only data breach that you are really worried about are the sacrosanct records of gun purchases

Old 11-08-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Both parties are to blame for the mental health problems. The liberals wanted the mental hospitals closed and push for light sentences. The conservatives don't want to spend the money for mental health care and for more jails.
I agree with this. Liberals have given mentally unstable people far more leeway in their own health diagnosis and methods of dealing with those diagnoses.

A number of these shooters got out of dealing with their mental health because of liberal policies. I think Jared Loughner (Gabrielle Giffords) was out on the streets because of wishy washy liberal mental health policies, for example. Seung Cho was totally insane as well and might have been on the streets because of liberal policies. The Fort Hood shooter was a liberal (left wing) agenda hire - never should have been in the position he was in.

On the other hand, I can see eye-to-eye with you on the funding to some extent as well. Though I do believe conservatives are probably more proactive in dealing with mental health.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Or maybe we can't blame lack of treatment for mental health issues, maybe that's just an excuse..

"If mental health made the difference, then data would show that Americans have more mental health problems than do people in other countries with fewer mass shootings. But the mental health care spending rate in the United States, the number of mental health professionals per capita and the rate of severe mental disorders are all in line with those of other wealthy countries. A 2015 study estimated that only 4 percent of American gun deaths could be attributed to mental health issues. And Mr. Lankford, in an email, said countries with high suicide rates tended to have low rates of mass shootings — the opposite of what you would expect if mental health problems correlated with mass shootings."

At the end of the article, the author speculates as to the reason why we have this problem:

“In retrospect Sandy Hook marked the end of the US gun control debate,” Dan Hodges, a British journalist, wrote in a post on Twitter two years ago, referring to the 2012 attack that killed 20 young students at an elementary school in Connecticut. “Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/w...?smid=tw-share

Old 11-08-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
1) The mainstream media needs to stop publicizing these events like they do, and
welcome to North Korea where the news you hear is the news that the Government has decided you can hear

Old 11-08-2017, 09:02 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:

I vehemently disagree. The root issue is mental health problems compounded by lazy enforcement of present laws and lack of stronger laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies