Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2017, 04:24 PM

1,743 posts, read 991,798 times

Advertisements

From various sources (Of which I am posting the link where it was first reported) new information:
(It is not clear if the photos shown are the guy but the name and background are supposed to be correct according to CBS!?)

Texas Church Shooter is in Southerland Springs, TX is Identified as Devon Patrick Kelly

Quote:
Church members seemed to have known the perpetrator, who some call a convert to Islam
Texas Church Shooter is in Southerland Springs, TX is Identified as Devon Patrick Kelly - Santa Monica Observer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 04:26 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Not confirmed but online it goes around as this person being converted to Islam

Old 11-05-2017, 04:26 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,532,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
From various sources (Of which I am posting the link where it was first reported) new information:
(It is not clear if the photos shown are the guy but the name and background are supposed to be correct according to CBS!?)

Texas Church Shooter is in Southerland Springs, TX is Identified as Devon Patrick Kelly

Texas Church Shooter is in Southerland Springs, TX is Identified as Devon Patrick Kelly - Santa Monica Observer
I already responded to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Not clear how accurate that might be. Another article says he was in the Air Force, not the Marines, and that he briefly taught Bible school:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/devin-...-church-killer

Old 11-05-2017, 04:27 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,221,735 times
Church facebook had been monitored for months by Muslims

http://img.4plebs.org/boards/pol/ima...9913321867.png

Old 11-05-2017, 04:28 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
According to CBS, the shooter had a dishonorable discharge from the military and was court-martialed in 2014.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:28 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post

Sounds like an ISIS recruit alright! /s so where's the posters calling this guy a sick, mentally ill vermin that needs to be put down? You know who you are.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:29 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Ex marine who had converted to Islam.
News media is reporting he's former air force, court-martialed:
https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/sta...12251656265728

So far there's nothing to link him to Islam.
People are reporting seeing social media that link him to either Christianity or atheism; there's no reason yet to think these people have correctly located his social media. There are literally dozens of people named Devin Kelley (with various spellings on both names) in Texas, so it's likely many are looking at the wrong people.

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
He posted a picture of his ar-15 to Facebook last week, with the quote " she's a bad b-word"

20,872 posts, read 9,532,948 times
Once again ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Not clear how accurate that might be. Another article says he was in the Air Force, not the Marines, and that he briefly taught Bible school:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/devin-...-church-killer

Old 11-05-2017, 04:31 PM

934 posts, read 402,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
It's a solution to the problem at hand. May not be a popular one. But it's one that would work.

Manipulation via emotion. Emotion is irrelevant.
If you tell someone repeatedly something is inherently evil, enough times over they'll believe it. (Goebbles, Hitler, Goering)

Case in point. My mother is 70 years old. She's never fired a gun in her life until I moved down to florida.
She has a concealed carry permit has 2 pistols and prefers my AR15 over my SKS Mini 14/30 M1A and AK platform rifles.

Same with my sister. She's on her 3rd pistol I built her a pink AR and she wants my Shockwave.

I can remove that instilled fear and empower anyone, if I can get 2 nurses who were terrified of guns owning and shooting.

Its Not a matter of what I like or anyone likes really.

It's a matter of this country has become inundated with feeble weak emotional beings. I for one am not one of the emotionally driven and scared.
I acknowledge there is a threat to my life every time I get behind the wheel of my trucks or behind the handle bars of my harley, no helmet mind you, Florida doesn't have helmet laws... Do I let that threat consume me? Absolutey not.

For others however they see these events happen and are compelled by emotion.
They don't take a logic approach. They'd rather trade liberty for security.
I am not one of them.
Thank you for the reply.
So you say that more guns in the hands of more, even if unwilling, people would be the solution.

Teacher profession is full of ladies like me. We'd shoot ourselves in the foot sooner or later. Litteraly. Not necessarily because we are emotional. We're just not into it.

As an army brat, I had two father's guns at home. Knew where they were stored, had full access to it, and was never interested. Neither was my brother. In high school we had to learn shooting. I forgot all about it as soon as I got my credit. No problem holding a gun, just felt happy not to have to hold it any more. My weapon of choice would be pepper spray.

In the 90s when there was a war here in Croatia, I learned to avoid being shot while being under gun and artillery fire for months, only to confirm what I already knew – how senseless it all is. So, I'm not some sheltered upper class or celebrity schmuk who preaches no guns while being surrounded by armed guards and sheltered by high gates. Their attitude is repulsive to me as it may be to you. Because they are talking from the place of hipocrisy.

It all comes down to where we look for solutions – no matter if we are talking about low intensity „war“ in US or a full force war. I look at it as something that should or should have been prevented or hopefully will be one day. It shouldn't happen. But now it has, what are we to do? There is another thread with good question: more guns to more people or less guns to less people.

Whoever is very protective to 2nd amendment like you are, is all up in arms when there is even a peep about gun control. Now, there are people who are ready to be the change they want to see in the world. They want world with less weapons, so they are ready to live unarmed. Even in places that aren't so safe. It doesn't mean they are cowards, or too emotional, feeble or brainwashed.

Actually, they might be quite the oposite. They may believe in a gradual change in culture, evolution in consciousness and the way people treat each other.

Btw. that helmet might save your armed a$$ while on harley, laws or no laws. There's still more danger of falling off the motorbike than being shot at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies