Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would be the most effective at curbing America’s gun violence?
More guns in the hands of more people 92 41.44%
Less guns in the hands of less people 130 58.56%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 10:06 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,163,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Actually, the founding fathers allowed for private citizens to own, possess, and utilize wmd’s (in addition to assault weapons). Your lack of historical knowledge is telling, and it seriously dampers your credibility in this discussion.
Provide examples of the types of weapons of mass destruction private citizens owned in 1791
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 10:07 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Ahh I see you can only stick to false equivalencies and projection. The only thing a liberal is good at. Tell me when did I advocate or suggest the private citizen shall have a nuke? The second amendment was written for arms relevant to the common marine/infantry soldier. I have alot of friends who were infantry. They didn't have access to nukes...

Oh!

How'd that link work for ya?
Great. 33,000 fire arms deaths a year and you’re cheering it?

You’re the one stating guns are inanimate objects so they should have no culpability. Nukes are also inanimate objects too Einstein. And if you want to go back to the arms that were available when the second amendment was enacted then be my guest. Enjoy your musket.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:09 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,163,233 times
Quote:
Those that don't. That's their decision. Don't like them, don't buy them. Simple as that.
Selfish isn't doing for yourself for your benefit. Selfish is making others do for yourself for your benefit.

Can own firearms or not. That's your choice.

Don't go pushing your will onto others. Simple as that.
I'm pointing out my friend, that in response to your post about fear of firearms, the people living in fear are the ones that own them, not the people that don't.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:10 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,140,824 times
Quote:
That depends on the state. There are states where it is perfectly legal to carry open while walking on a sidewalk.
It's perfectly legal to carry concealed while driving as well.
As I stated, streets are NOT gun free zones, yet many drive bys occur daily.

Explain that???

Old 11-05-2017, 10:12 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
Wrong, when cars are involved they almost always blame alcohol or drugs (which are banned)

People blame car accidents on texting all the time as well, that's why it's illegal in many areas, so you are wrong.

I have a car, I have a gun, and I consume alcohol, but I'm not naive or ignorant enough to think that more of those things don't increase accidents or deaths, that is just common sense man.
Guess you've never driven in the north east (NY VT MA CT) or down here in Florida...
You'd be surprised how many nondrivers are on the roads who legit can not drive nor should they have licenses to drive especially during the winter.

Florida is unique as its one big fluster cluck of drivers from all over.
That and between my generation and younger with cell phones, and old snowbirds stroking out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
Police blame alcohol in 2-car crash: North Olmsted police blotter | cleveland.com

Have no desire to take your guns away, just stating a fact. Stating a fact is not pushing my will.

Ahh the tried and true I don't want to take your guns away... ahh yes, the failed feel good reassurance.

No you don't want to take what I currently have. You just want to restrict future generations and what I have access to at a later time and date because it makes you feel good.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:14 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Countries Compared by Crime > Assault rate. International Statistics at NationMaster.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_..._United_States

First shows assault rates around the world. Scotland 1,655.1. U.S. in the second link at 237.8

Countries Compared by Crime > Robberies. International Statistics at NationMaster.com

This link shows robbery rate in 2006 when Spain was 25% higher. Our rate has decreased from 146.4 to 101.9 in 2015 so unless Spain has followed a similar drop they might be much higher than us.
Nice try, but the first link compares simple assault (the other countries) with USA's rate of aggravated assault (in the second link).

Aggravated assault is far more serious than assault.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:14 PM

10,737 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Provide examples of the types of weapons of mass destruction private citizens owned in 1791
Do a little research on warships and letters of marque.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:15 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
This poll pretty accurately reflects the mood of the nation. A poll taken right after Las Vegas showed that 64% of Americans favored more strict gun laws. The needle is inching up, but I'm not naive. I know it's going to take a lot more slaughter before we find the political will to address this insanity.

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Great. 33,000 fire arms deaths a year and you’re cheering it?

You’re the one stating guns are inanimate objects so they should have no culpability. Nukes are also inanimate objects too Einstein. And if you want to go back to the arms that were available when the second amendment was enacted then be my guest.
LOL this is what it looks like when your argument runs out of steam.

That link worked... this thread is titled firearm violence. I see you dodged acknowledging the numbers from that graph as that is relevant. Not 21k suicides.

Or did you shift goal posts again and now consider suicide violence that is inflicted onto others?

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Nice try, but the first link compares simple assault (the other countries) with USA's rate of aggravated assault (in the second link).

Aggravated assault is far more serious than assault.
Relax. We went over this later on in the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies