Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2017, 11:09 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Yes nothing you post about courts makes any sense and I am not sure why you keep bringing it up.

You in your everyday life are responsible for yourself, your thoughts, your actions, you behaviors.

I brought it up because your view that a person is fully responsible for their deeds is not correct, not even in court, for instance:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminished_responsibility

In my country for instance criminal responsibility starts at 16.
In other words, if you commit a crime at 10, you are not held responsible. And why? Because the courts think you ARE NOT responsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 11:35 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I brought it up because your view that a person is fully responsible for their deeds is not correct, not even in court, for instance:
No matter how you want to slice or dice it...you are ultimately responsible for your behavior.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Quote:
In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility. Eleanor Roosevelt
Quote:
In other words, if you commit a crime at 10, you are not held responsible. And why? Because the courts think you ARE NOT responsible.
Well I am not surprised...the country you live in still engages in bullfighting as a form of entertainment.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:44 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,188 times
Quote:

its not the courts, its the law.

crime requires intent. and intent involves intelligence and the law says that a person of certain age, like children are not intelligent enough to know that their actions are criminal.

same for the mentally challenged. so acts committed by these people are not considered criminal because they are considered not to have the intelligence to judge what is right or wrong.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:57 AM

21,121 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Native Americans lived outdoors for thousands of years without problem.

...until white man arrived and tried to “help” them.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
No matter how you want to slice or dice it...you are ultimately responsible for your behavior.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Well I am not surprised...the country you live in still engages in bullfighting as a form of entertainment.
Every country has an age where criminal responsibility starts, not sure what it is in the US, but there certainly is such a thing there as well.

Yes, but most people ignore bullfighting, plus, we do not have the death penalty

I think Eleanor was pretty wrong, it's life that shapes us. Just because people are old or famous doesn't mean what they say makes sense.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
its not the courts, its the law.

crime requires intent. and intent involves intelligence and the law says that a person of certain age, like children are not intelligent enough to know that their actions are criminal.

same for the mentally challenged. so acts committed by these people are not considered criminal because they are considered not to have the intelligence to judge what is right or wrong.
It is not so much about intelligence as such (many teenagers are more intelligent than their parents), but about the region of the brain responsible for morals. Its development is more or less finished in people's early twenties, but the age varies a lot from person to person. It takes a few years longer in men than in women, which might explain some of the crime statistics.

An interesting group in this respect are psychopaths.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I think Eleanor was pretty wrong, it's life that shapes us. Just because people are old or famous doesn't mean what they say makes sense.
Life is our playground...how you play on that playground is what shapes you. Therefore you shape yourself.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post

What was life expectancy back then?
Whites certainly did not want to help Native Americans, to the contrary.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post

Ain't that the truth!

And they did not trash the land, steal from their neighbors, or vandalize and graffiti other folks homes or structures. They worked hard and did not neglect their tribe duties by laying around dazed and confused on meth and or alcohol.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Life is our playground...how you play on that playground is what shapes you. Therefore you shape yourself.
Sounds like voodoo logic to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies