Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 01:26 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

Maybe at the end of the day, it is a kind of protest against "the system" that they no longer can or want to be part of. A bit like survivalists living in the woods, expecting or even hoping for the end of the status quo...

Last edited by Neuling; 11-06-2017 at 01:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 01:33 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Maybe at the end of the day, it is a kind of protest against "the system" that they no longer and or want to be part of. A bit like survivalists living in the woods, expecting or even hoping for the end of the status quo...
Funny you would write that because as I was reading the article and then through this thread I was thinking "if I was homeless simply due to financial reasons, I would live out in the woods as far away from other homeless folks as I could get". Why would I want to live around the dangers of alcoholism, mental health issues, drug addiction and all the rest? Answer: I wouldn't. If money was the issue I'd be away from all that mess as fast as my rickety $200 vehicle could take me.

One other thought: these cities are doing a grave disservice to those who have homes and who are paying ever increasing taxation, while at the same time watching their property values decrease, their streets and parks become increasingly dangerous, and while their kids and dogs play in the public toilets that they disgusting cities have become.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:33 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Natural place to go. Liberals claim to love the homeless, so they should be happy there are so many around. Adds a lot of diversity and multiculturalism too.
Exactly!

I would like to see my backward, southern state give each homeless person a free one-way bus ticket to San Francisco with a $100 cash reward when he arrives with written directions on how to get on California's generous welfare rolls.

Last summer I had a trip to Oakland where I spent a week at the downtown Marriott and what I saw left be reeling. Homeless all over the place and they even had to keep the front door, front entry door, locked to keep the homeless from setting up camp in the lobby.

They would ride the free bus but not to worry, I only rode it one time because the homeless made it unrideable and from there it was Uber everywhere.

Google Oakland Homeless Camps, it is amazing. A Jerry Brown miracle!

Old 11-06-2017, 01:34 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Great idea but who would they steal from to get their drug money?
send the SJW to take care of them.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:35 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
send the SJW to take care of them.
I prefer to go the vigilante route myself.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:41 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Maybe at the end of the day, it is a kind of protest against "the system" that they no longer can or want to be part of. A bit like survivalists living in the woods, expecting or even hoping for the end of the status quo...
Slab city welcomes/waiting for them but just like everyone else, no one wants to live in the boonies. they too want to be where the toniest place is

Old 11-06-2017, 01:42 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
The homeless folks living in the camps I just posted about do not want help. This is CA where lots of help is offered for free. They don't want help. They are very resourceful and only want to do drugs. This combined with mental illness is what's fueling this situation in the Bay Area.

I have talked personally with the officers in this area and they have thrown so many resources at these folks only to be told no we don't want it.

Instead they want to set up camps on pubic land. I am from Texas and this is against the law. You can't just pitch a tent and drag your cooler and trash the land.

Here in CA the bleeding hearts stand in the way of officers trying to clean these camps up. Unheard of!
I hate to say it but yes, this is largely correct.

I don't know what the answer is though. Break up a camp and they just set up a new one. Arrest them and they'll be back on the street in a day or two. Set up housing for the existing population that wants help, and others will flood in to take their place on the streets.

Pushing the problem to another city is fairly easy, but actually dealing with the homeless in a productive way is very, very hard.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:52 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I hate to say it but yes, this is largely correct.

I don't know what the answer is though. Break up a camp and they just set up a new one. Arrest them and they'll be back on the street in a day or two. Set up housing for the existing population that wants help, and others will flood in to take their place on the streets.

Pushing the problem to another city is fairly easy, but actually dealing with the homeless in a productive way is very, very hard.
Lets just remember for all the West coast bashers, that CA alone contributes much more money to the federal government that any one or three of the red states combined-
those "SJW"s are a valuable contribution to our Country's economy-

also why don't we as a country re-evaluate where are federal budget is going? There needs to be a national solution to this issue (de-institutionalizing the severely mentally ill was one bad move, without building any infrastructure in the communities for care, that was nationally funded- as you can see the states have NOT stepped up).
One less FOUR BILLION dollar warship could really go a long way towards this.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:55 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,211 times
Denver is full of bums. Boulder the liberal Mecca loves transients, they started a fire in the foothills and burned 100's of houses down, could have killed people, but the liberals keep them around like pets.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:56 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Denver is full of bums. Boulder the liberal Mecca loves transients, they started a fire in the foothills and burned 100's of houses down, could have killed people, but the liberals keep them around like pets.
And, their solution? Build more shelters to encourage more homeless people and outlaw panhandling laws! Brilliant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies