Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 08:14 PM

57,232 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Restricting gun access to the law abiding won't stop criminals from finding other ways to kill. I see a much bigger problem. We have a society with many violent people. No one seems to address that so easily.
So we should ignore the problem we have with guns because they may use other means. Yes we are a very violent society, solutions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 08:18 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So we should ignore the problem we have with guns because they may use other means. Yes we are a very violent society, solutions?
Stop accepting as well as promoting the violation of the non-aggression principle.

For the millionth time.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:22 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I'm saying if we take away guns, the violent will find other ways. Tim McVeigh used a fertilizer bomb. The terrorist in New York used a truck. Even though he had a gun, the truck running into a crowd was just as deadly. A mall stabbing in St. Cloud, Minnesota. A steak knife used. Not a bowie knife, not a hunting knife, but a kitchen knife.

Limiting guns has not helped the cities of Baltimore and Newark, which have some of the worst murder rates in the USA. New Hampshire and Vermont, on the other hand, have some of the lowest murder rates in the USA, and those states are gun friendly.

The problem is violence. Violent people will use what is available to them to kill people. Taking away guns might take away their ability to kill via the gun. And even that isn't guaranteed. The violent live and die by violence. They live according to the ideal of "Disrespect me and you will be killed". I don't know a solution to the violence problem, because that problem does to culture, to mentality.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:33 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Stop accepting as well as promoting the violation of the non-aggression principle.

For the millionth time.
It's too easy.
Liberal logic don't you dare demonize the person. Person has rights. Implements. All bets are off...

Old 11-06-2017, 08:48 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
Quote:
I'm saying if we take away guns, the violent will find other ways. Tim McVeigh used a fertilizer bomb. The terrorist in New York used a truck. Even though he had a gun, the truck running into a crowd was just as deadly. A mall stabbing in St. Cloud, Minnesota. A steak knife used. Not a bowie knife, not a hunting knife, but a kitchen knife.

Limiting guns has not helped the cities of Baltimore and Newark, which have some of the worst murder rates in the USA. New Hampshire and Vermont, on the other hand, have some of the lowest murder rates in the USA, and those states are gun friendly.

The problem is violence. Violent people will use what is available to them to kill people. Taking away guns might take away their ability to kill via the gun. And even that isn't guaranteed. The violent live and die by violence. They live according to the ideal of "Disrespect me and you will be killed". I don't know a solution to the violence problem, because that problem does to culture, to mentality.
Yep, I 100% agree. I don't know why exactly, and I'm sure there are a lot of factors going into it for each person, but it's definitely the people. It's been said that guns haven't changed, but the population has.

Ever since I learned about the effects of parenting, I've been a pretty firm believer that good, non-abusive, non-neglectful parenting would solve so many problems. I think that may be a big factor, and there are all kinds of places where parenting is bad...and it makes sense that as the population grows, the chances increase of damaged/dangerous people being produced.

My best shot at a solution isn't easy, but it's to get people to pay attention to those around them, and especially treat kids well. It just makes it so much easier for someone to do horrible things to others when they feel like no one cares about them, no one pays attention to them, and they have emotional trauma from their past.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:50 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Do phones really need text capability? How many children die a year because of texting and driving? Phones should make phone calls period. What you can say in a text you can say on the phone...with your eyes on the road. Unbelievable texting, any texting,has been aloud to go on this long
How long will we sacrifice our children in the name of texting?

Old 11-06-2017, 08:59 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:

We are dealing with types of criminal predators today that Dante' himself could not imagine dwelling in the innermost ring of the Inferno. Their aim is to take far more than things of material value. They desire to control, twist and torture their victims to feel this rush of power that for them is heavier and more addicting rush than the strongest IV opiate.

Totally without conscience. Colder than any reptile. Devouring like piranha. They are eaters of souls. More and more women are joining the ranks of armed citizens because of these predators. Refusing to be their food. This is the best option for dealing with this class of criminal. Severely limiting or flat denying that option only makes these bipreds hungry.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:12 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
How many more times does the media have to sensationalize these events and provoke tensions?

Ever think the national coverage of these events with inflammatory language to play everyone by their emotions has something to do with it?
The media reported what happened. How did they sensationalize it. It's not like they made up the events. Let's call it like it is....it was a terrorist act. When Isis claimed responsibility for killing 8 people in New York. Trump took advantage of this by saying this is why we need to close our borders, change the visa system...ect. Yet when 25 people are murdered in a church, no less....many being children. His response was our thoughts and prayers are with them and said it was too early to talk about gun control. The las vegas terrorist attack had 59 fatalities and more than 500 injured, same response. He blamed it on mental health but that's not good enough. Let's do something about it then. This keeps happening yet we are so desensitized to it that's is just becoming the norm for us now. Why do we live like this.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:25 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The media reported what happened. How did they sensationalize it. It's not like they made up the events. Let's call it like it is....it was a terrorist act. When Isis claimed responsibility for killing 8 people in New York. Trump took advantage of this by saying this is why we need to close our borders, change the visa system...ect. Yet when 25 people are murdered in a church, no less....many being children. His response was our thoughts and prayers are with them and said it was too early to talk about gun control. The las vegas terrorist attack had 59 fatalities and more than 500 injured, same response. He blamed it on mental health but that's not good enough. Let's do something about it then. This keeps happening yet we are so desensitized to it that's is just becoming the norm for us now. Why do we live like this.
But the law was already in place to keep him from buying a gun legally, problem is the government, in this case the Air Force, did not do their job and report is conviction to the FBI, hence he passed the background checks. More laws would have not changed the scenario that took place in Texas, following the law might have, though where there is a will there is always a way.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:46 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
But the law was already in place to keep him from buying a gun legally, problem is the government, in this case the Air Force, did not do their job and report is conviction to the FBI, hence he passed the background checks. More laws would have not changed the scenario that took place in Texas, following the law might have, though where there is a will there is always a way.
Our country has one of the highest rates of death by guns in a developed world. But it's ok and just accepted. I don't have the answers but we don't try and do anything about it. We just chalk it up to someone else who is mentally ill and just move on. And then the next time it happens, we do the same. We can't just sit around and accept this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies