Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2017, 12:04 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
I agree with you completely that god(s) do not exsist. I never understood how people believed in the bible wholeheartedly and without question. It just made no sense to me.

I guess I can see why people choosing to believe in a book and how it tells them to live their lives affects us if those are the people who make the laws and rules of the land. Then sure it does affect me there. I don't agree that our land should be ruled by the bible and I'm thankful that there are others who also think church and state should be seperate.

But people praying to a god to find comfort in a time of need is not delusional. It helps them and it gives them peace. I still see nothing wrong with that. Their wanting that hope doesn't affect me.
I was raised in it, in my early teens I found the sermons boring so I started reading the Bible from the pew instead. By the time I got to the end of it I didn't believe anymore.

Seems like in church there tends to be a focus on the feel good parts and a tacit avoidance of some of the nastier parts of the Bible, you get stuff like John 3:16 multiple times a year, but they never hit Numbers 31 the whole time I was there, so you can imagine my surprise coming across it as a youth.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:10 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
You are confused on when the cell phone came in. The two in Johhnie’s truck called the police while they were chasing Kelley.

Here is a more detailed chain of events for you: And you can see the interview from Johnnie also saying this

Hero describes how he tracked down church shooter after attack - San Antonio Express-News

"I pulled up to the intersection where the shooting happened and I saw two men exchanging gunfire," Langendorff said, noting the shooter and another local were shooting at each other.
Once the gunman fled the church grounds in his vehicle, Langendorff said the other man came to his car.
"The other gentleman said we needed to pursue (the shooter) because he shot up the church," he said. "So that's what I did. I just acted."
The pair chased the man down FM 539 headed North before the shooter lost control and ran off the roadway. Langendorff said the other man with him jumped out othe car and drew his rifle on Kelley.
"He didn't move after that," Langendorff said.

This is were the cell phone came in
The pair were able to lead law enforcement authorities to where Kelley was. The 26-year-old was found dead in his vehicle. It is not immediately clear how he died.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
You claimed divine intervention then contradicted yourself. Someone inside the church called 911. I had read an earlier report that someone showed up at the church because of a cell phone call.

Texas shooter yelled, ‘Everybody die, motherf–ker!’ | New York Post

The gunman opened fire some time after 11:20 a.m., according to officials. By 11:30 a.m., Ramirez had crawled out of the line of fire and called 911, the station reported.

One observation:

Solis, who suffered a gunshot wound to her shoulder, said her only option was to play dead.

“I shouldn’t have gone to church that day,” she remembers thinking as she huddled under the pew.

While this person was calling 911, someone else could of just been praying to god for help

Old 11-07-2017, 12:15 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
While this person was calling 911, someone else could of just been praying to god for help
The point is that the individuals in the church didn't get any help, did they? The shooter had completed his shooting, and was exiting the church on his own. He didn't exit the church because of the good samaritan who it turned out was nearby.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:18 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
WALSH: If You're Responding To A Massacre At A Church By Mocking Prayer, Please Shut Up | Daily Wire

"I have never in my life been more disgusted than I am right now. Of course I'm disgusted first and foremost by the evil, pitiful coward who slaughtered so many innocent Christians while they worshiped on Sunday. But I'm nearly as disgusted by the reaction from so many people. A reaction that has included the gleeful mockery of faith and prayer.

Moments after the bodies hit the church floor, there were people -- including prominent people -- on social media practically gloating about it. "See? Prayer doesn't work!" "Prayer isn't enough!" "This is where prayers get you!" Etc.

There is never a good time for this ridiculous anti-prayer nonsense, but right after 25 Christians were murdered at a church is the worst possible time imaginable. So please, sincerely, from the bottom of my heart, shut up: "

Well I guess we don't need to look very far to see where this evil starts. Many people out there are evil to begin with. Disgusting to comment the way they do.
Are comments like these tacky? Absolutely. Should they be publicly said? Probably not. Do we need real, concrete policy action? You bet.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:31 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I wonder what Looney Leftists would be saying if the victims were Muslims.
This one would be saying the same thing I am saying now: that it was a tragedy, and would never have happened if that monster had been locked up for good when he fractured a baby's skull.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:38 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Prayer can help

Agnostic here, former Sikh, not Christian, but I can easily acknowledge the value of Prayer in Religion, just as I can see the value of meditation, modern Psychiatric therapy, and non- religious communities coming together in times of need.

Not that hard to figure out, people coming together in prayer provides hope and support, and will aid in their recovery. The continued ridicule by "Supposedly" Liberal people against people who believe in prayer, or just find it helpful, proves how un-Liberal these people are.
I can agree with most of your sentiment. What I think most secular people are mocking, however, were the comments made by the Texas governor, who said said the answer to these shootings was “prayer”, or something to that effect.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So when doctors screw up and a patient dies, that's on God too, right?
That's not what I said or implied. Not sure why you are picking a fight with me.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Stephen King calling for legislation?? That sicko has probably influenced more people to kill and torture than anyone..............
How do you figure that? The lines between good and evil are pretty clearly drawn in his books.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:48 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
That's not what I said or implied. Not sure why you are picking a fight with me.
I'm not picking a fight. I'm reiterating the fallacy of the God is Good trope. People will say God is so good when something good happens, yet when something bad happens it can't possibly be God's fault.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:50 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
How do you figure that? The lines between good and evil are pretty clearly drawn in his books.
Excellent point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies