Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 03:17 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,096 times

Advertisements

Even though healthcare in the U.S. can be expensive, it has the best health care quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 03:22 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Even though healthcare in the U.S. can be expensive, it has the best health care quality.
What do you base that assessment on? My partner and I have been in hospitals in Spain, Italy and Mexico. Even with language issues, our treatment outside the US was superb. Facilities and care were as good or better than what we experienced in the US.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:23 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Oops, not so according to your own org's.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.0e28b52001ff

https://catalyst.nejm.org/medical-er...ntable-deaths/

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-u...ad-oecd-2017-6

700 deaths per day!

Old 11-07-2017, 03:25 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
Here's an interesting list from WHO.
World Health Organization’s Ranking of the World’s Health Systems | thepatientfactor.com

Quote:
Some people fancy all health care debates to be a case of Canadian Health Care vs. American. Not so. According to the World Health Organization’s ranking of the world’s health systems, neither Canada nor the USA ranks in the top 25.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:30 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
some of the best and some of the worst because some have none.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:39 PM

30,995 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
I am a Canadian,I don't deny that there are floated In the medical system (long wait times for certain treatments or tests, sometimes treatments thatHowe not available here) but overall, I would take this any day over some of the horror stories I've heard coming from the US...people who can't afford to be treated, people with no medical coverage being turned away from hospitals. At least in Canada, you will not be turned away from any hospital. You are registered under the province's health system, so as long as you have your health card, you cannot be refused treatment.

Back in 2003 I was diagnosed with cancer. The wait time to get into the system for treatment was long (I wound up waiting 4 months before treatment started), and that can be enormously nerve-wracking, but... doctors do give priority to the most severe cases and will move them to the front of the queue. And when I finished my treatments (seven weeks of intense radiation along with some chemo at the beginning) I didn't owe a cent. We do pay for our health services through our taxes, which can be high, but for most it is still affordable. At the end of the day, I wouldn't trade our health system for the United States', ever.
You waited 4 months for treatment for cancer? No one in my family that has ever waited that long. Superior? Maybe less expensive, but if you die before treatment I can see how it is cheaper.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:40 PM

30,995 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
So 30 and 37. Practically a wash.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:44 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,586,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
legal resident or permanent resident? a permanent resident doesn't have to be a citizen and I stand corrected.
Legal resident. You have to be in the country for a minimum of 90 days before you are covered, but then the coverage kicks in. This pretty much excludes tourists etc. And no, those who have vacation homes in Canada and come up for 91 days, don't qualify - they are not residents, just visitors.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:53 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
These surveys are all over the place, and often contradictory - not much point to them unless methodology is consistent.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:04 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
You waited 4 months for treatment for cancer? No one in my family that has ever waited that long. Superior? Maybe less expensive, but if you die before treatment I can see how it is cheaper.
Aaah yes, there is that delay thing, however:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...cer-treatments

An opinion only, but whereas Canada, a larger country than the U.S. with only one tenth the pop., trying to service a population of 35 million plus all of the other services expected using taxes derived; compared to any similar system were it enacted in the U.S. would result in the immediate elimination of third party intervention such as insurance companies requiring time to review or demand further information before approval of any treatment plan. It would immediately eliminate delay resulting from people deciding they cannot afford their co-pays or deductible ceilings.

Last edited by BruSan; 11-07-2017 at 04:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies