Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2017, 09:03 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
What's a revolution but large-scale assassinations and political purges?

Scalise's shooter tried to kill a politician bc he was sick of his politics. How is a revolution going to unfold differently?
A revolution is the forcible overthrow of a governing system, not just individuals.

(And revolutions often don't stop with just getting rid of the politicians).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 09:04 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Eh, when the majority of the people you talk to on a day to day basis have had 2 meals in the past 5 days, then you will be close to the point of change that you seem to desire.
Very, very few colonists were starving or near-starving, in 1776.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:16 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
True, their issue was non-representation, and people could not feel they are in that situation today, could they ............

Old 11-09-2017, 09:33 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Hey, if guys like Bill Ayers can actually ATTEMPT a Revolution and gain fame, fortune and mentorship of a future President, I guess I'm not TOO worried.
And by the way, the feds gather everything that everybody says....didnt you know that?
Now go back to the other sheep and be good.
Yes the feds gather everything, but why call attention to yourself. People think they are somehow anonymous on the internet. Not at all.

Personally needlessly violating federal law seems like a dumb thing to do. Like people who send threats to the president. If you want to be on a watch list somewhere or get a knock on the door be my guest keep talking.

Bill Ayers got out of his charges on a technicality. And the left loves criminals. He lucked out.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:43 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
What if the people in the colonies never resorted to violence or breaking laws, and other major disobedience...where would we be today?

Strangely we celebrate all these patriots and the violence they engaged in, every July 4th. Couldnt that be twisted into a celebration of violence/ terrorism (depending on where you live of course) To anyone in England, their actions were definitely on the level of terrorism, so..?

Old 11-09-2017, 09:52 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Quote:
Yea, pretty big difference between then and now as well. Hint: it has to do with the locations of the respective centralization of power between the 2 factions and the logistics involved in bringing that power to bear.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:08 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
It is only our prosperity that protects us from civil war. We are one economic shock away from the two radically different sides in this country tearing each other and the nation apart. We have not been this polarized in 150 years and it is extremely dangerous. The fact that our last election came with riots and political violence should scare anyone. We used to brag to the world about our elections and the peaceful transition of power. We are losing that, not long and we may look like Syria or Ukraine.
I don'think so. Conflict like this needs a large segment of the population to get on board, otherwise it's nothing more than civil unrest and rioting. The most dangerous opponent is one who has nothing to lose.
you or I or anyone on this board may hate Hillary to Trump with all their might, but we all have too much to lose to get into an open conflict over it.

Let me put it another way, how many here have given of their time and talents to volunteer for a political candidate or party? I don't just mean a little, but a super commitment that cuts into your time and income and makes you choose between that other things you may enjoy or even need?

Once you know that percentage....maybe 10 at most? Ask then, how many are willing to go to the next step and potentially sacrifice their lives and that of their families, and the loss of most of their material possessions to engage in armed conflict?

Finally, why do that when you can simply vote and encourage others to do so and get the same result which would be a change in government?

Old 11-09-2017, 10:13 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I don'think so. Conflict like this needs a large segment of the population to get on board, otherwise it's nothing more than civil unrest and rioting. The most dangerous opponent is one who has nothing to lose.
you or I or anyone on this board may hate Hillary to Trump with all their might, but we all have too much to lose to get into an open conflict over it.

Let me put it another way, how many here have given of their time and talents to volunteer for a political candidate or party? I don't just mean a little, but a super commitment that cuts into your time and income and makes you choose between that other things you may enjoy or even need?

Once you know that percentage....maybe 10 at most? Ask then, how many are willing to go to the next step and potentially sacrifice their lives and that of their families, and the loss of most of their material possessions to engage in armed conflict?

Finally, why do that when you can simply vote and encourage others to do so and get the same result which would be a change in government?
Its like people who complain about their job but do little to look for something else and certainly don't hate their job enough to quit and be without an income.

People are all talk. Sure we want better elected leaders and a better government but outside of some crazy people like the unibomber who is going to devote their life to really make real change?

Old 11-09-2017, 10:21 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
What if the people in the colonies never resorted to violence or breaking laws, and other major disobedience...where would we be today?

Strangely we celebrate all these patriots and the violence they engaged in, every July 4th. Couldnt that be twisted into a celebration of violence/ terrorism (depending on where you live of course) To anyone in England, their actions were definitely on the level of terrorism, so..?
Exactly. People have become domesticated, and they're disconnected from that mindset. I think a big reason why people understood individual liberty back then is because they were starting from scratch. They didn't have all that historical precedent, and it was just clear to see - the natural state of a human is freedom, and people become more and more controlled and domesticated over time, and they weren't having it.

When you've lived in a place your whole life, and you're one of many generations living there, it's easy to just say "well I don't see the problem...I'm free...it's not perfect, but I'm relatively happy" and complacency sets in. Many can't even imagine life without everything being micromanaged by the government, which is why so many view it as an attack on THEM to say they should be free.

One of my favorite quotes ever, from Sam Adams to the colonists...

Quote:
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your councils or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands that feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
That's the rift - the domesticated vs the freedom-oriented. They see people who want freedom as terrorists for undermining that "hand that feeds them".

Old 11-09-2017, 10:23 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
And to add to my post above, I don't think violent revolution will do much in the end if most people think the way they think now. It needs to be a revolution of ideas. That's the only way it can last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies