Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 12:35 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,736,490 times

Advertisements

Do we know what trimester these abortions are taking place? I don't know how Iceland's laws work in this regard.

I could care less about the reason why a woman is getting an abortion. It's the when.

Last edited by Valhallian; 11-09-2017 at 01:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 12:37 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,366,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
And that would be the humane thing to do. The kid would face a lifetime of bullying, low-wage work, and misery.
So I guess it would be OK if it was just killed after birth, just in case the test missed the diagnosis. It does happen on occasion.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:50 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
Do we know what trimester these abortions are taking place? I don't know how Iceland's laws in this regard.

I could care less about the reason why a woman is getting an abortion. It's the when.
It's dependent on the genetic test. I'm an older mother and was tested for all three of my pregnancies. In 2011 the earliest test was conducted at 17-18 weeks - early second trimester. For my later pregnancies, the test was available at 10 weeks with just a pinprick of blood, first trimester.

The first test was very expensive, the pinprick version was much cheaper - all covered by insurance.

My OB-GYN did not push the test, but simply informed me of the availability. I received phone calls for all the results.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:52 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,366,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
At camp? Well, I tried as best I could. No results.
German League of Girls (Bund Deutscher Mädel)

Old 11-09-2017, 01:24 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,135,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Yes, she made the choice to be pregnant.
Ok.

Enjoy having your taxdollars going towards disabled kids abandoned by women who were completely unprepared to handle the kids' disabilities but forced to birth them anyway.

Sounds good to you?

Old 11-09-2017, 01:38 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Abortion is legal as long as is in the no questions asked time window it is what is. Are you saying that you can abort past the first trimester if the fetus has DS. I dont know that i would be ok with that.
On the bold, yes you can.

The fact that many of the genetic tests and the "big" ultrasound usually not being done until the 2nd trimester is the reason why I am pro-choice for families who may chose to terminate a pregnancy where the child has a handicap or defect that they may not feel they can effectively deal with or that is terminal to the child.

People should not be in the business of other people's family planning. It is none of your business. There are plenty of people in the US and worldwide who have Down Syndrome that you all could support instead of worrying about those who haven't even been born yet.

On the story, I have seen it in various media outlets and even watched a documentary about Iceland's abortion rates of fetuses with DS. I think it said only 4-5 people in the whole country toady have DS and two of them are siblings in the same family.

They do not push the women to get an abortion and the families are left to decide for themselves so it is not nazi-ish.

Personally, I also would more than likely terminate a pregnancy if the child had DS. I would not want to burden my other children with caring for a handicapped sibling for the rest of their lives. I have a very good friend who takes care of her sibling with DS and though the sibling is well loved, it is still stressful for them to look after their sibling and their ailing parents. The parents are no longer able to care for the adult with DS and the DS adult cannot live by themselves. Contrary to what people believe DS has varying degrees and not all people with DS are like those we see on TV who are high functioning. They also have various other medical problems besides the genetic condition.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:04 PM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times
I got get this liberal outrage straight. It’s ok to murder a baby before he or she is born because the mother isn’t in the mood to be a mother but not ok to murder a baby due to a birth defect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies