Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2017, 09:34 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I didn't say all hunting rifles, although I oppose hunting in general on moral grounds.

I'm talking about semi-automatics, assault rifles, large magazine capacity, etc. Any weapons that can cause mass casualties should not be allowed by civilians. It's not the purpose of the 2nd Amendment, and it's destroying the country.
AMAZING! the 2nd was the best defense against tyranny! Remember the old quote, "When a people fear their govt there is tyranny, when a govt fears its people there is liberty"?

An armed public is still the best defense, although slowly we have allowed the Govt and law enforcement to get the upperhand, the founding fathers wanted the people/ militia, to always have same type of weapons as Govt did, so if the people ever needed to remove Govt from power, they would stand a chance of succeeding...how long do you think the people or a militia would last today if this happened...about a day? LOL See why we need these weapons?

Old 11-08-2017, 09:38 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Actually, hunting is probably the number one reason people, at least in my area, own guns. Target shooting would be second and self-protection would be third.
Those reasons are justification to owning a gun, they are the cost and money justification to buying one and tradition to the American way, when hunting was part of survival for food. Passed down from generations of survival and hunting for food and providing. But the reality is we don't need to hunt for food in America in 2017, we dont need it for target practice either. In the end you need the gun so that if some day you ever need it for any reason, food and or protection of life and property when the government isnt doing its job, you have that right to do it. The 2nd amendment is actually a protection not a right.
It protects your life and option as "the people" to do something the government or society might one day corrupt and or destroy. Example food supplies are poisoned, natural disasters, hunting might be a good food option. But without the gun, it will be that much harder to find food. Or if the government decides to take over all food supplies and limits your intake. :-)

Old 11-08-2017, 09:38 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
I didn't say all hunting rifles, although I oppose hunting in general on moral grounds.

I'm talking about semi-automatics, assault rifles, large magazine capacity, etc. Any weapons that can cause mass casualties should not be allowed by civilians. It's not the purpose of the 2nd Amendment, and it's destroying the country.
You oppose hunting on moral grounds? You would rather see animals like deer, overpopulate and starve to death? Not to mention the dozens, maybe hundreds or more people who would be killed or injured in car-deer collisions? As it is, In my state, hunters can't keep the deer population low enough to keep the herds as small as they need to be.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:40 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Those reasons are justification to owning a gun, they are the cost and money justification to buying one and tradition to the American way, when hunting was part of survival for food. Passed down from generations of survival and hunting for food and providing. But the reality is we don't need to hunt for food in America in 2017, we dont need it for target practice either. In the end you need the gun so that if some day you ever need it for any reason, food and or protection of life and property when the government isnt doing its job, you have that right to do it. The 2nd amendment is actually a protection not a right.
It protects your life and option as "the people" to do something the government or society might one day corrupt and or destroy. Example food supplies are poisoned, natural disasters, hunting might be a good food option. But without the gun, it will be that much harder to find food. Or if the government decides to take over all food supplies and limits your intake. :-)
Many people in rural areas still need to hunt for food. Some of the hunters donate deer to the food pantries to feed the poor.

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
AMAZING! the 2nd was the best defense against tyranny! Remember the old quote, "When a people fear their govt there is tyranny, when a govt fears its people there is liberty"?
No longer applicable since civilians can never stand up to the US military. We've built it up with trillions and trillions of dollars and no amount of civilian guns will ever protect ourselves from the unlikely takeover of the military. The 2nd Amendment was for armed militias to protect their own states before the Federal military gained massive power. Technology has destroyed the entire principle behind the 2nd Amendment.

Now the 2nd Amendment is nothing but an excuse for mass murder of civilians. Nobody is using guns to defend the state against the government. They're using it to slaughter innocent civilians.

4,481 posts, read 2,283,655 times
Quote:

You need those types of weapons to defend yourself against the government. By the way, the majority of hand guns and rifles out there are semi auto. Also, I can't think of a mass murder shooting where an assault rifle was used, maybe the 90s LA bank robbery but that wasn't a mass shooting.

But by your logic we should ban cars.

Man drives truck a mile through crowd in France, kills 84
At least 84 dead after man drives truck through crowd in Nice, France | abc13.com

8 dead in New York City truck attack
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-yor...-live-updates/

Let's ban knives as well

19 Killed, 25 Injured in Japan Stabbing Spree
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/1...-spree-n616491

We should also make bombs illegal.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
You oppose hunting on moral grounds? You would rather see animals like deer, overpopulate and starve to death? Not to mention the dozens, maybe hundreds or more people who would be killed or injured in car-deer collisions? As it is, In my state, hunters can't keep the deer population low enough to keep the herds as small as they need to be.
Maybe it should be on a state by state basis. I realize overpopulation is an issue with animals, but I still generally oppose hunting in most cases. That bill that Republicans passed to allow the killing of baby bears and wolves in their dens is disgusting.

Some place like Alaska I could see being more lenient with hunting weapons. Overall though, it's not necessary.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:44 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
No longer applicable since civilians can never stand up to the US military. We've built it up with trillions and trillions of dollars and no amount of civilian guns will ever protect ourselves from the unlikely takeover of the military. The 2nd Amendment was for armed militias to protect their own states before the Federal military gained massive power. Technology has destroyed the entire principle behind the 2nd Amendment.

Now the 2nd Amendment is nothing but an excuse for mass murder of civilians. Nobody is using guns to defend the state against the government. They're using it to slaughter innocent civilians.

Interesting, tell that to those that are over in the sandbox fighting. Those goat herders are doing pretty good with IED's, and out dated firearms.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
You need those types of weapons to defend yourself against the government. l.
No you don't, because you will NEVER defend yourself against the most powerful military on Earth. That may have been true in the 18th Century when the 2nd Amendment was ratified. It's no longer applicable. The 2nd Amendment has become a justification for the slaughter of innocent civilians, not for State-wide defense from the Feds.

And for a nation that touts itself as Christian constantly, it's ironic that guns are so loved seeing as Jesus would absolutely oppose the ownership of any weapons.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:45 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:

Seems like the 1st has been doing a lot to promote violence and some deaths. Maybe we should get rid of that one as well, before it gets out of hand ? You game ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies