Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2017, 10:25 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Which is why I can accept home weapons for self-defense. Not weapons that can wipe out an entire church in 15 seconds.
An AR-15 is appropriate for self-defense and protecting the homestead in a disaster situation.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:26 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
An AR-15 is appropriate for self-defense and protecting the homestead in a disaster situation.
No it isn't.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:27 AM

39,205 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
That is Correct AR-15-platform rifles are among the most popular firearms being sold. They are today's modern sporting rifle. The AR in “AR-15” rifle stands for ArmaLite rifle, after the company that developed it in the 1950s. “AR” does NOT stand for “assault rifle” or “automatic rifle.”
Thanks Too bad I can't rep you again.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:27 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Actually, literally speaking, that IS all it protects. A "well-regulated" militia. Yes, the Supreme Court extended that to individual gun ownership... but they also for over 50 years considered slavery acceptable, so they are not infallible.

That being said, the 2nd Amendment in no form - even the expanded definition - grants anyone the "right to own whatever weapons they want," nor is the right to own a gun somehow exempt from the limitations on all other rights, that being that your actions may cause you to forfeit those rights. I have the "right" to freedom and to walk freely up and down my street whenever I want. Does that mean we should free all the criminals in prison because they no longer have that right? Same fail logic.

No, the 2nd Amendment does NOT grant you the right to own any and all weapons no matter how irresponsible, violent, drugged-up, or insane you may be. Nothing does, and even if something did, such a law would be so mind-mindbogglingly stupid that nobody could with a straight face defend it.
I think you need to educate yourself on the very nature of the 2nd amendment, and just why it was installed in the Bill of Rights. If your read the papers by the founding fathers on the nature of the right to bear arms, means that the PEOPLE (who are the militia) should be equipped in the same manner as the federal troops. Agreed, that the founding father could not foresee the weapons of today, however, that does not dismiss the the citizens of this country to protect their, Life, Liberty and Property from any intrusion by foreign or domestic government troops. It is the Citizen Militia that is the bulwark against tyranny, disarm the citizens of a country and tyranny will follow.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:30 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
I didn't say all hunting rifles, although I oppose hunting in general on moral grounds.

I'm talking about semi-automatics, assault rifles, large magazine capacity, etc. Any weapons that can cause mass casualties should not be allowed by civilians. It's not the purpose of the 2nd Amendment, and it's destroying the country.
The church shooter had a captive, unarmed group of victims in a small enclosed building with limited exit paths.

He could have done as much damage with a shotgun and a revolver.

So, say we ban "high capacity" magazines.......

What will you want to ban next when that has ZERO EFFECT on mass shootings?

This is why we don't trust gun grabbers when they call for "common sense restrictions"

Because we know that if we give an inch, you'll want to take another inch and another and another.........

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
No it isn't.
Why not?

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
The first such type weapons started 1944 - via WW2- with laws banning them for public hands in 1994

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle
https://www.ammoland.com/2016/04/ar-...cal-time-line/

Assault Weapon Truth: The Facts about Assault Weapons

personally- really not needed by most individuals living in the US -
A 2011 survey by the Shooting Sports Foundation found 49.1 percent of gun owners who bought that gun did so for target shooting; 22.8 percent bought id for hunting; and 28.1 percent for protection.
More than 3 million Americans now own an AR-15.

gun enthusiast
"Thomas Jefferson’s “Assault Rifle” – The Girardoni Air Rifle

The Girardoni air rifle was 22-shot, magazine-fed, nearly silent .46 caliber repeating rifle adopted in 1780 by the Austrian Army. Thomas Jefferson purchased two of these rifles, which he sent west with Lewis and Clark.

Is it capable of firing 22 aimed shots in a minute? Got it!
Is it a military weapon? Got it!
Was it manufactured during the American Revolutionary War? Got it!

Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-08-2017, 10:32 AM

29,442 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
No it isn't.

How about a Ruger mini 14 ?

Old 11-08-2017, 10:32 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
There is no such thing as an "assault rifle." The term has been assigned by the Leftist anti-gun lobby, for effect.

Just because a gun looks scary, doesn't make it an "assault weapon."
And just because the company called it "AR", doesn't mean it stands for "Assault Rifle".

Old 11-08-2017, 10:33 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
it is absolutely NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS as to why i might want a particular firearm. but lets not make this about firearms, lets make it about cars. why would you care if i decide to buy bugatti veyron to drive as opposed to say a ford fusion? i dont need a veyron because i dont need a car with a top speed of 250+ mph.

do i need an AR15? no i dont, d i want one, yes i do. but if you eliminated all AR15s from the planet, it wouldnt matter because there are other firearms out there that use the same round, hold the same capacity magazines, and have the same rate of fire as the AR15, but they are not scary looking black rifles, the ruger mini 14 comes to mind.

you seem to hate the NRA, why? because gun hating democrats have demonized the company? the NRA does not sell guns, they do not pay arms manufacturers, they do not spread hate a fear in our country.

what they DO, do however is teach gun safety, and they support the second amendment rights, and they do support keeping guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill, AFTER they have gone through proper due process.

perhaps you should stop listening to the gun grabbers, and go to an NRA meeting and talk to NRA members, and go through an NRA gun safety course, and find out what they are really about. you might actually learn something.
"go through an NRA gun safety course,"

Just the sight of guns would probably make her pee he pants!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies