Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 07:51 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
China is giving him more elaborate treatment than any other president. In itself that is fine, but I have to wonder why he did a 180 on China....from they're "raping" our Country to being our great trading partner.

It all goes to motivations. What drives Trump? Why the 180? I can understand getting China's cooperation with NK and some deals for US companies, but to completely reverse himself in public like that is unusual for someone that had such a strident position.
I'm no expert, but even I know about the importance in Asian cultures of "face"; of using flowery language to present a façade of affection and goodwill. If you want to be the least bit effective in dealing with an Asian country, the very last thing you should do is embarrass them or humiliate them in public.

I remember back when Clinton's secretary of whatever, Mickey Cantor, went to Japan and publically berated them for some kind of trade violation. The Japanese hung their heads down in shame, and the Clintonistas were high-fiving themselves: "Yeah, we sure showed them!" Of course, as soon as Cantor left the room, they doubled down on whatever it was they were doing, and relations with Japan took a turn for the worse for awhile.

Say what you will about Trump, but he's not that stupid to make the same mistake. Only time will tell what he's doing behind the scenes with China, but out in public, in front of China's leadership, I would expect nothing less than flowery butt-kissing. And if he wants to get anything done, that's exactly what he should do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 07:52 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It's amazing what the combination of sedatives, speech writers and tele-prompters can do.
Is that your best? B/c JFK was taking many sedatives for back pain, and had plenty of speech writers along with prompters...so did every other president....

At least he is trying...I give him credit for that.....

Old 11-09-2017, 07:56 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Did you noticed he left out the city where the Korean Olympics will be held.

Yeah, you're right. And when he talked about his dream of highways connecting North and South, he failed to identify their route numbers. And when he mentioned two particularly impressive skyscrapers in Seoul, he failed to tell us which districts they were located in. Shocking, I tell you!!

Or, maybe it's just a case of deciding that the speech would flow better without adding that information. Gee, could it possibly be? Nah, must be something wrong with the guy.

And in case you're wondering, the Olympics will be held in Pyeongchang. There, happy now?

Old 11-09-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabbedByTheWaldo View Post
"... ask not what your country can do for you...."

ask how many people you can fool into voting for you by....
hmmmmm, is that right? I thought he stole the election by being fraud?

Old 11-09-2017, 08:18 AM

12,969 posts, read 9,651,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well, like I said, I voted for the lessor of two evils....

call it what you like, call me anything, but of course, late to dinner, but, in the long run, I'd never vote for someone who out and out hurt people like the Clintons, she claims on one hand to be for a woman's rights, and on the other hand, continued to live with a corrupt husband that ran around? WHAAAAT? Please?

She lied, for Goodness sake, she stood there and told the American people that Benghazi happened, b/c of a few protesters....protesting some cartoon? Yeah right, protesters carry rocket launchers! And our people died! My son was over there, it could have been him? And what about all the other parents who lost people to her confounded out and out mishandling of it all....
This I personally don't believe. You defending Trump way too much if you just voted for the lessor of two evils. Had I voted for the lessor of two evils, meaning I'm not impressed with either one, I sure as heck wouldn't be going out my way and tit for tat with people over someone who is just the lessor of two evils, two evils mind you. I would just be very low key about my decision, and certainly wouldn't be vigorously defending someone that I probably wouldn't have voted for, had I had a better choice. I just don't see that in your post, you sound pretty all in for the man. If you are, then that's what it is, just don't hide behind I voted for the lessor.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:27 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, I wonder why also, but, it may not be for any other reason, than he is trying to bring good foreign relations with foreign countries....or it could be something else, that we'll never know about....Trump is no body's fool, he may have the lousiest diplomacy when it comes to public speaking on God's green earth, however, he still possesses a kindness, and concern for people...yes, he's rich and powerful and realistically I bet he is a bully, when he doesn't get his way, but, at the end of the day, he still has advisers that have been helping him, and I have seen a change in him since the debates...so....what ever it's worth, he is always saying kind words about people...in public, always....and when someone attacks him, like a big baby he attacks them back, which isn't right....but he does so....

We can't have it all....
for me, the jury is still out, but so far, I like what he's been doing, and sure do enjoy seeing my 401(k) building up, that's for sure, have never seen that happen for so long before...so, he must be doing something right....
How on earth can you post "he is always saying kind words about people" and "like a big baby, he attacks them right back" in the same sentence without your brain not twisting itself into a pretzel? Just like you said "realistically I bet he is a bully", "however, he still possesses a kindness and concern for people". Do you honestly not see how much you are trying to join up two diametrically opposing personality traits? It must be increasingly difficult to fit ruby slippers on your idol's feet of clay.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:28 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
This I personally don't believe. You defending Trump way too much if you just voted for the lessor of two evils. Had I voted for the lessor of two evils, meaning I'm not impressed with either one, I sure as heck wouldn't be going out my way and tit for tat with people over someone who is just the lessor of two evils, two evils mind you. I would just be very low key about my decision, and certainly wouldn't be vigorously defending someone that I probably wouldn't have voted for, had I had a better choice. I just don't see that in your post, you sound pretty all in for the man. If you are, then that's what it is, just don't hide behind I voted for the lessor.
Good observation. What it shows you is that there are some Trump supporters who know deep down that the man is a con and a liar, but they can't even admit it to themselves. So they pretend they are only marginal supporters, even as they out themselves with their zealous defense of everything he does.

You pegged this poster perfectly.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
How on earth can you post "he is always saying kind words about people" and "like a big baby, he attacks them right back" in the same sentence without your brain not twisting itself into a pretzel? Just like you said "realistically I bet he is a bully", "however, he still possesses a kindness and concern for people". Do you honestly not see how much you are trying to join up two diametrically opposing personality traits? It must be increasingly difficult to fit ruby slippers on your idol's feet of clay.
because, in his eyes, he is defending himself....he doesn't go on the attack until someone attacks him...most of us do the same....

and yes, he does still possess a kindness and concern for people....

I do the same, but will in fact, protect my territory and so will you.

you just did....

Old 11-09-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
well, that's you, the difference between you and I are that while I voted for the lessor of two people, I saw good in Trump, always have...he didn't get to where he is today, just on good looks....

the better choice was to NOT vote for a murderer, you can say what you want about Trump, but he never murdered anyone....

Old 11-09-2017, 08:54 AM

2,828 posts, read 824,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Yes! And Obama was excellent at it as well!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjjuE1TtKjo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies