Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2017, 05:29 AM

30,137 posts, read 11,759,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so you are one of those that advocates that every country should be the united states? they should follow the US constitution? that their laws should be the same as our laws?

realize that china has been around as a country for over 6000 years, while the US is barely 241 years old. they are their own country, same with egypt, iran, and every other country in the world. we dont get to dictate to those countries what their laws should be, and they dont get to dictate to use what our laws should be.

why cant people get that through their heads?

it doesnt matter if these kids are elite athletes, or street thugs, they have to follow the laws like everyone else, no ifs ands buts or maybes about it.
Yes I am one of those people who think our constitution is pretty darn special. The communist government in china is not 6000 years old. In fact our government is much older if that is the benchmark you want to use.

And yes I have a right to give my opinion about countries that have laws that are simply wrong.

Go and defend Iran, Egypt and Nazi Germany as well as Communist China. You probably think what Kim is doing in N Korea is fine also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 05:54 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I don't know what's sadder, the stupidity and classlessness of these idiots or the knuckle draggers that will continue to support and admire them.
Shoplifters should be publicly beaten, IMO.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:11 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
The fact our President uses getting these idiots out of trouble as some big accomplishment speaks to the new low standard in our presidential expectations.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I don't know what's sadder, the stupidity and classlessness of these idiots or the knuckle draggers that will continue to support and admire them.
Shoplifters should be publicly beaten, IMO.
I agree convicted shoplifters should be punished. But someone should not be punished simply for being accused of something. At least in America its innocent until proven guilty. Like I said this is communist china we are talking not America or Canada or Western Europe. Remember the Tiananmen Square Massacre? Those people violated Chinese law. Was death a just punishment? I don't trust the Chinese government. Nice that so many here assume they are telling the truth and defend China over America.

And who is admiring the UCLA 3? No one is. Lets see what is said at the news conference. I will suspend judgement until then. Until the players got back no one was talking about it because no one wanted to upset the Chinese government. You don't question the authority in China. Even Trump and Lavar Ball were restrained in their comments.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:30 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I agree convicted shoplifters should be punished. But someone should not be punished simply for being accused of something. At least in America its innocent until proven guilty. Like I said this is communist china we are talking not America or Canada or Western Europe. Remember the Tiananmen Square Massacre? Those people violated Chinese law. Was death a just punishment? I don't trust the Chinese government. Nice that so many here assume they are telling the truth and defend China over America.

And who is admiring the UCLA 3? No one is. Lets see what is said at the news conference. I will suspend judgement until then. Until the players got back no one was talking about it because no one wanted to upset the Chinese government. You don't question the authority in China. Even Trump and Lavar Ball were restrained in their comments.
There is video of them shoplifting.

If you don't believe me, it's easy to find on-line so go watch for yourself.

Once you've seen it, it all clears up. It's not a conspiracy, there is no blustering your way out of it and when you're looking for a FAVOR from the Chinese government you don't blame them for the arrest when the 3 players are clearly caught red-handed.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:34 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times
Quote:
Yes I am one of those people who think our constitution is pretty darn special. The communist government in china is not 6000 years old. In fact our government is much older if that is the benchmark you want to use.

And yes I have a right to give my opinion about countries that have laws that are simply wrong.

Go and defend Iran, Egypt and Nazi Germany as well as Communist China. You probably think what Kim is doing in N Korea is fine also.
You absolutely have a right to your opinion. China also has the right to enforce their laws without regard to the opinion of (elite) (college) ( athletes). As if being an elite college athlete is a measure that should curry any kind of favor or a free pass.
You go to another country you should respect their laws. In this case shop lifting is illegal every where in the world. These elite athletes must have felt entitled. I wonder why they would think that. Just because in this country we tend to treat athletes as heroes or something special, doesn't mean that everyone else does.
Add to this these very special athletes shamed their nation. They made all of us look bad.
I have some advice for all those who feel the laws of other countries shouldn't apply to visiting Americans. Don't leave the United States. Stay home and avoid a lesson in reality. That and spare those of us who do like to travel, and those of us who do respect the rights of other countries, the embarrassment.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There is video of them shoplifting.

If you don't believe me, it's easy to find on-line so go watch for yourself.

Once you've seen it, it all clears up. It's not a conspiracy, there is no blustering your way out of it and when you're looking for a FAVOR from the Chinese government you don't blame them for the arrest when the 3 players are clearly caught red-handed.
Link? I see no video online.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
You absolutely have a right to your opinion. China also has the right to enforce their laws without regard to the opinion of (elite) (college) ( athletes). As if being an elite college athlete is a measure that should curry any kind of favor or a free pass.
You go to another country you should respect their laws. In this case shop lifting is illegal every where in the world. These elite athletes must have felt entitled. I wonder why they would think that. Just because in this country we tend to treat athletes as heroes or something special, doesn't mean that everyone else does.
Add to this these very special athletes shamed their nation. They made all of us look bad.
I have some advice for all those who feel the laws of other countries shouldn't apply to visiting Americans. Don't leave the United States. Stay home and avoid a lesson in reality. That and spare those of us who do like to travel, and those of us who do respect the rights of other countries, the embarrassment.

If you don't realize that college athletes get into all types of trouble all the time then you don't follow college sports. Usually the school and coaching staff decides the punishment with something minor like this. Again Florida St's Winston caught shoplifting in Florida. I believe he sat out the first half of a game as punishment and the won the player of the year (heisman) after that. Look at Cam Newton who stole a laptop. Punishment? Nothing. I could go on and on.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemore View Post
I am so glad they back on US soil.
I'm not. They shamed their nation. Then again why should they care? I mean they are getting a college education simply because they are good at a game. Nothing to be grateful for, right? They go to another country and commit a petty crime of shoplifting. These same athletes will complain about stereotypes and how unfair they are, even though through their actions they re-enforced several stereotypes.
Way to go.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
If you don't realize that college athletes get into all types of trouble all the time then you don't follow college sports. Usually the school and coaching staff decides the punishment with something minor like this. Again Florida St's Winston caught shoplifting in Florida. I believe he sat out the first half of a game as punishment and the won the player of the year (heisman) after that. Look at Cam Newton who stole a laptop. Punishment? Nothing. I could go on and on.
And you think that is acceptable punishment? Good grief no wonder why athletes feel special. Maybe they get into trouble all the time because their are no consequences for their behavior? Thankfully most of us average folks respect the law enough to obey it.
Back to the issue at hand. They went to China. China has a right to enforce their laws regardless to the American standard of issuing free passes to college athletes. I detest China and would never go there by choice. I travel a lot by American standards. I have actually lost count of how many countries I have listed 25 or so. I love traveling. That said I make it a point to respect the native people of those countries and to be on my best behavior. After all I am a guest in their country.
I am saddened that Americans feel that laws only apply to others. I am saddened that some Americans feel that athletes are above the law and that they for what ever reason deserve special treatment.
If I stole a lap top I would be punished and rightfully so. If I were caught shop lifting I would be arrested, charged and held accountable. Why is it wrong to impose the same standards on athletes?
Maybe if we started holding them accountable they would start behaving in a responsible manner?
Where does the dumb jock stereotype come from? Could it be because of how so many of them behave?
I do realize that college athletes get into trouble all the time. That is the problem. They do it because so many are so willing to give them a pass. Such low expectations and accountability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies