Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 05:52 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,909,846 times

Advertisements

GOP incumbents running in 2018...stuck with trump. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Lottsa luck!
VA GOP Rep: Gillespie Loss 'Referendum on Trump Administration, Divisive Rhetoric' | Fox News Insider

Quote:
A Republican congressman from Virginia said that former RNC Chairman Ed Gillespie's (R) loss to Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam (D-Va.) is a "referendum on this [Trump] administration."

"I do believe that this is a referendum on this administration," Taylor said. "Democrats turned out tonight, but I'm pretty sure there were some Republicans who spoke loudly and clearly as well."

"Some of the very divisive rhetoric helped... usher-in a really high Democratic turnout in Virginia," Taylor said.

Taylor added that Trump was incorrect when he tweeted that Gillespie's loss stemmed from the fact he never fully embraced the president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 06:04 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times
One thing that you have to admit is, if nothing else, Donald Trump winning the election was a wake up call to America. The majority of us never thought, in our wildest imagination, that this man, with his horrible track record and character, could EVER win. It showed us all how easily America could fall into the wrong hands, if we were complacent .

I think we need to thank him for making more people involved with talking about, and doing something, regarding who we choose and why we choose them. I bet we don't make the same mistakes in future elections that we made in this one.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:22 AM

17,010 posts, read 12,602,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
One thing that you have to admit is, if nothing else, Donald Trump winning the election was a wake up call to America. The majority of us never thought, in our wildest imagination, that this man, with his horrible track record and character, could EVER win. It showed us all how easily America could fall into the wrong hands, if we were complacent .

I think we need to thank him for making more people involved with talking about, and doing something, regarding who we choose and why we choose them. I bet we don't make the same mistakes in future elections that we made in this one.
The GOP handed the Dems a gimme and they screwed it up by nominating someone even worse.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:05 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
what everyone is failing to note is that the person that opposed trump in the general election is much worse that trump. and the problem that the republicans are going to have in 2018, and even last night, is that they are not getting the things done that they were sent to do. for instance the republican have been running one repeal and replace obamacare ever since 2012, and each time they have said they need the house to do that. then they said they need the senate, so we gave them that. then they said they needed the presidency, so we gave them that as well, and they STILL have not done ANY of the things they promised.

not only are the democrats blocking trumps efforts, but many republicans are also. in 2018 there will be a democrat "revolution" if the current crop of republicans dont start getting the job done, the voters are not going to wait any longer.

everyone talks about trumps low approval ratings, but they forget that congress has far lower ratings, and have had for far longer, yet we still keep putting the same old elites back every election.

i suspect that in 2018, those that hang onto trumps coat tails, whether they be democrat or republican, are going to win elections in 2018. but that would mean that the party extremes are going to have to go away, and more moderate candidates will end up winning. candidates that are willing to compromise.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:07 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,196,360 times
It would hurt them worse. I remember Dems disavowing obama in 2014, didn't help them. I love seeing republicans squirm, get something done or get the boot.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:10 AM

45,238 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
It would hurt them worse. I remember Dems disavowing obama in 2014, didn't help them. I love seeing republicans squirm, get something done or get the boot.
"get something done" = steal money from an unpopular group (the rich) and spread some of it around to a large voting bloc with great fanfare.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
"get something done" = steal money from an unpopular group (the rich) and spread some of it around to a large voting bloc with great fanfare.
Neither party advocates for fair taxation. The only fair tax is a flat tax on ALL income- no exemptions, credits or deductions. Does not get any simpler than this.

No one could win on such a platform because everyone is a special interest.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:27 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Neither party advocates for fair taxation. The only fair tax is a flat tax on ALL income- no exemptions, credits or deductions. Does not get any simpler than this.

actually the only fair tax is a consumption tax. eliminate all income taxes, and payroll taxes, and go to a national sales tax of say 6%. then it wouldnt matter if people work "under the table", you could eliminate a lot of new hire paperwork, and a lot of crap businesses have to go through every time payroll comes up. businesses could save a ton of money because smaller businesses wouldnt have to hire a company to do their payrolls, they could do them themselves.

but no one could win on such a platform either for the reason you listed.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:30 AM

45,238 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Well right off, the term "fair" is a misnomer, nothing fair about coercing money out of someone and giving it away to someone else. And if you actually read up on it, it wont be flat either.
Simple? Sounds dangerous. People quit thinking (more so than they already have) and just let the state take it, because after all its fair, simple and by golly its part of being in a society ( you can almost hear the national anthem playing in the background).
Meanwhile the bombs reign down, cronies are paid off, the deficit spending continues, welfare increases, individual freedom diminishes,our financial and physical health is impacted...You're right no one seems to want any of it addressed. So in the meantime gridlock is our friend, because "getting something done" is just another feel good con to rip us off.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:32 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times
Here is what I wrote in a similar thread this morning: concerning Mr. Trump's post-election tweet about the Virginia Republican candidates loss:

"When I saw President Trump's tweet last night, I certainly thought it ill-advised. Republicans must be thinking to themselves that Mr. Trump is, perhaps, not the best person to have in your corner.

Let us recall when the US House passed that "Repeal Obamacare" bill. Mr. Trump hosted a victory party for House Republicans in the Rose Garden, called it a perfect bill, praised all. Yet, just a few weeks later, after it began to look like the bill would not pass the Senate, Mr. Trump called the House bill 'mean', subsequently affirming that he used the term, and even claimed that Mr. Obama 'stole' the word from him.

For those Trump supporters with a short memory:

Trump confirms he called health care bill 'mean' - CNNPolitics

It was an appalling example of Mr. Trump throwing his party members under the bus. As I said back when this happened, you may be sure that in November 2018 the Democrats will be bringing this up. Since all House Republicans voted for said bill, none can escape that particular tarring.

Republicans will also recall Mr. Trump's tepid endorsement of Mr. Strange, even stating during the rally speech, with Mr. Strange even standing there, that perhaps he was wrong to endorse Mr. Strange.

Yes, those House Republicans running for re-election next year, as well as those Senate Republicans (at least, those that have not recently announced that "I'm out of here") have a difficult choice to make: 'embrace' Mr. Trump and what he (at times) stands for, or distance themselves from Mr. Trump."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies