Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 10:41 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
One thing that you have to admit is, if nothing else, Donald Trump winning the election was a wake up call to America. The majority of us never thought, in our wildest imagination, that this man, with his horrible track record and character, could EVER win. It showed us all how easily America could fall into the wrong hands, if we were complacent .

I think we need to thank him for making more people involved with talking about, and doing something, regarding who we choose and why we choose them. I bet we don't make the same mistakes in future elections that we made in this one.

When Japan's Admiral Yamamoto was congratulated for having carried out the devastating attack on Pearl Harbor, he replied, "I'm afraid all we may have done is to awaken a sleeping giant". Those voters across the country who were sleeping on election day in 2016, have certainly come awake.

We were handed a bitter lesson, but we have learned better. Now we can just hope that Trump, realizing that his time is ending, doesn't do anything desperate and damaging, on his way out. I fear that he would just as soon trash our country, as give up his power gracefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 12:45 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Said this before, and am doing so again; this is all a huge ego trip for DT. Politics is *NOT* his entire life nor a major part of same. He can drive this country into the ground, leave office and go back to being a very wealthy man and or whatever else it is he does. No one can take away from him that he won the WH, was POTUS and all that goes with it; he can brag on that and shove it into everyone's faces both while living and from beyond the grave. His portrait will hang in the WH, his Wikipedia page will reflect, school children will learn his name and so forth.

OTOH senators and congressmen live with one fear; being driven from office before they wish. As such few will directly contravene wishes of their districts.

GOP was handed a golden opportunity, and so far have blown it. They could have risen above petty nastiness and hatred of Obama (which is nothing more than blatant racism against a black man who got into the top remaining all white male club in the USA), and chose to govern in a way that leads this country forward.

Instead they have chosen to cater to the most common and vile elements of society and drive this country back to the 1950's or even 1930's. Worse the GOP continues with their time honored and failed policies of "if we give the rich *more* money (via less taxes) the economy overall will be better".

People can say what they will; but time and demographics are *NOT* on the GOP's side. The cranky and angry white male and their bitter frustrated female counter parts are aging and dying off. Behind them is a huge population of young non-white, non-Christian and or very religious.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:53 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Said this before, and am doing so again; this is all a huge ego trip for DT. Politics is *NOT* his entire life nor a major part of same. He can drive this country into the ground, leave office and go back to being a very wealthy man and or whatever else it is he does. No one can take away from him that he won the WH, was POTUS and all that goes with it; he can brag on that and shove it into everyone's faces both while living and from beyond the grave. His portrait will hang in the WH, his Wikipedia page will reflect, school children will learn his name and so forth.

OTOH senators and congressmen live with one fear; being driven from office before they wish. As such few will directly contravene wishes of their districts.

GOP was handed a golden opportunity, and so far have blown it. They could have risen above petty nastiness and hatred of Obama (which is nothing more than blatant racism against a black man who got into the top remaining all white male club in the USA), and chose to govern in a way that leads this country forward.

Instead they have chosen to cater to the most common and vile elements of society and drive this country back to the 1950's or even 1930's. Worse the GOP continues with their time honored and failed policies of "if we give the rich *more* money (via less taxes) the economy overall will be better".

People can say what they will; but time and demographics are *NOT* on the GOP's side. The cranky and angry white male and their bitter frustrated female counter parts are aging and dying off. Behind them is a huge population of young non-white, non-Christian and or very religious.
The GOP has shackled themselves to Trump's message that Mexicans are rapists, Blacks are committing White genocide, POW's are not to be liked, and that Neo Nazis are fine people

For better or worse, Trump is the Republican party. They need to own it because they built it

Aint no turning back

Old 11-09-2017, 01:45 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
One thing that you have to admit is, if nothing else, Donald Trump winning the election was a wake up call to America. The majority of us never thought, in our wildest imagination, that this man, with his horrible track record and character, could EVER win. It showed us all how easily America could fall into the wrong hands, if we were complacent .

I think we need to thank him for making more people involved with talking about, and doing something, regarding who we choose and why we choose them. I bet we don't make the same mistakes in future elections that we made in this one.

Don't be silly Don, you're making all the same mistakes right now.

Today, like so many other people, I'm working for just 54% of what I was making in the late 1990s-early 2000s.

In 2008, Democrats, Clinton and Obama, promised to renegotiate our ****ty trade deals, but they never followed through, and we all know why they didn't.

They support open borders, chain migration and amnesty at a time when US workers are at a disadvantage to their employers in aspects of their employment.

Again, the motives for this need not be detailed.

In order to lose to Republicans, as they have done for the past decade, Democrats had to be even worse for working Americans than the party of the 1%.

That's a tall order, but Democrats found a way to pull it off.

What they did was to ally themselves with the hedge fund managers, just like Republicans, but they went a step further to demonize whites, and particularly white males.

I guess it never occurred to anyone at the DNC that white women, the demographic they clearly had their eyes on, have no interest in seeing their white husbands, fathers, uncles, brothers, etc. further marginalized, insulted, mocked and blamed for all the world's problems.

Of course there really doesn't seem to be a way back for Democrat that have painted themselves into an anti-white, anti-male corner.

White males will likely never come back, and that means Democrat will have to continue doubling-down on the same racist identity politics that have made them unpalatable to working whites, both male and female.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:54 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
When Japan's Admiral Yamamoto was congratulated for having carried out the devastating attack on Pearl Harbor, he replied, "I'm afraid all we may have done is to awaken a sleeping giant". Those voters across the country who were sleeping on election day in 2016, have certainly come awake.

We were handed a bitter lesson, but we have learned better. Now we can just hope that Trump, realizing that his time is ending, doesn't do anything desperate and damaging, on his way out. I fear that he would just as soon trash our country, as give up his power gracefully.

The giant is the white working class...you know, the deplorables.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The giant is the white working class...you know, the deplorables.
Many deplorables are retired or close to it, so I wouldn't use the word working class to describe them.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:06 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
" More and More GOP Incumbents Will Disavow trump "

Oh brother, they do so at their own risk. Nobody is going to vote for the old guard anymore, the party has changed.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post

Oh brother, they do so at their own risk. Nobody is going to vote for the old guard anymore, the party has changed.
Embracing the Alt Right is also risky

Anyone associated with Trump has painted themselves into a corner

Old 11-09-2017, 07:39 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post

Yet the new guard might find itself unelectable except in strongholds. I may not like Kelli Ward but i think anyone but Kristen Sinema would lose too her for Jeff Flake's current seat in the Senate.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:04 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
It would hurt them worse. I remember Dems disavowing obama in 2014, didn't help them. I love seeing republicans squirm, get something done or get the boot.
The biggest enemy Trump has is not the democrats but the entrenched GOP establishment with people like McCain and the Bush family who would rather see democrats win because a Trump win threatens their very existence.

The Bush/McCain wing of the republican party has alienated the Trump base who will stay home in 2018 causing a virtual republican slaughter. Jeb gets the revenge he desires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies