Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that conversion therapy can make a gay person straight?
Yes, the power of prayer combined with Christian counseling can make a gay person straight 16 10.81%
No, sexual orientation is unchangeable and conversion therapy is ineffective at best and dangerous at worst 132 89.19%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 02:56 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,545 times

Advertisements

Get on your knees, I'll take out my penis, then you can decide:

1. Hey wow, cool, let me play with it

2. Hmm, I might be curious about it

3. Ewww another man's penis

Therapy isn't going to make you want to suck one. You like them or you don't. Same thing in reverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 03:50 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,589,229 times
I don't understand why people, often those associated with religious groups, would want to impose therapy on homosexuals, to train them to pretend that they're straight. It's much better for them to be out in the open, where others can recognize and avoid them. Their disorder is deep within and they can no more be cured of it, than a drug addict can be trusted to stay clean.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:08 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
No, it doesn't work and never will work. Some people are born that way. Nothing more needs to be said.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:09 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times
Obviously it doesn’t work. Just look at Lindsey Graham or Mike Pence.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:13 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Back in college, I dated a guy that was "cured" by one of these camps. I'm a guy, by the way. He said he finally figured out how to survive as a gay kid, and that was to pretend to be straight so his very holy and righteous Christian parents and pastor would leave him the hell alone.

I advice all gay young people to stay deep in the closet until they can stand on their own 2 feet. This is where my beliefs diverge from the mainstream liberal movement. I believe survival is more important than making a statement.

I stayed deep in the closet until I had a career and my own house. The very first thing that my parents did when they found out I was gay was disown me. My mom went as far as hiring a lawyer to draft up a letter disowning me and formally sent it to me. My fiance came out of the closet when he was 15 and was promptly kicked out of the house for good.

There's something in religion that makes people go crazy like that.
That is so sad.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:21 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I don't understand why people, often those associated with religious groups, would want to impose therapy on homosexuals, to train them to pretend that they're straight. It's much better for them to be out in the open, where others can recognize and avoid them. Their disorder is deep within and they can no more be cured of it, than a drug addict can be trusted to stay clean.
They don't believe it's biochemical but psychological and believe that are helping them.

It's not done out of spite, only ignorance.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:30 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
They don't believe it's biochemical but psychological and believe that are helping them.

It's not done out of spite, only ignorance.
You are partially correct. However, if it were only ignorance, fundamentalists wouldn't cling so hard to the debunked dogma they use to justify conversion therapy and the practices associated with it. They would be teachable and yet they are not. They view anybody who is critical of conversion therapy as either deceived by modern liberalism or the devil himself.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:14 PM

793 posts, read 1,112,290 times
No.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:17 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
You are partially correct. However, if it were only ignorance, fundamentalists wouldn't cling so hard to the debunked dogma they use to justify conversion therapy and the practices associated with it. They would be teachable and yet they are not. They view anybody who is critical of conversion therapy as either deceived by modern liberalism or the devil himself.
They can't accept the possibility they might be wrong because then the entire house of cards their faith is built on risks falling down. Fragile and hard, can't bend - only break.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:30 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
That is so sad.
My folks and I are on good terms now. Took them some time to get used to the idea that I ain't ever bringing home a girl LOL.

Think of it this way. I had a good career going and owned a house when the poop hit the fan for me. For my fiance, it happened at a much younger age but he was able to stay with his grandparents and now I'm paying for his college. What's really sad is think of all the homeless kids that don't have anywhere to go. How do I know they're out there? I got 2 of them sleeping on my couches right now.

Anybody can say wow that is so sad. If you really do think it's so sad, do something about it. I encourage everyone to do something about it. Mentor them, let them sleep at your place, whatever you can contribute.

If christians are as good as they claim to be, they'd be focusing their energy on solving youth homelessness instead of encouraging their members to disown their gay kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies