Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 03:20 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times

Advertisements

Trump says he was surprised there are 'so many countries'

Why am I shocked and dismayed by this?

I should be accustomed to these types of revelations by now ...

Old 11-08-2017, 03:40 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,459,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
There's not a single person on this forum who could say how many countries there are. Not without looking it up. Nor could a single person on this forum name them.

I'm constantly amazed at the stupid people who call Trump stupid, dotard, and other truly dumb things.

Yo, idiots: Trump is President. He sure the heck outsmarted you and your candidate!
there's not a single person on this thread that ran for President..

Old 11-08-2017, 03:42 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Fun to watch the Trump defenders on this after they spent eight years going on and on about Obama's 57 states quip.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
If Trump’s last name were Johnson, he’d be a janitor.

He’s fallen upward since the day he was born with his platinum spoon planted firmly in his ass kisser.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:51 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Fun to watch the Trump defenders on this after they spent eight years going on and on about Obama's 57 states quip.
I'd bet everybody here (even you and the OP) knows how many states there are. I'd also bet at least 75% of us know how to pronounce "corps".

When your President doesn't know how to pronounce the title of the people he's in charge of, well...

And when your President doesn't know how many states there are in the country he's President of, well...

There's no reason for you, me, or President Trump to give a rip how many countries there are.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:52 PM

23,983 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
But you no doubt find it telling, then, that Obama couldn't even name the 57 states he claimed to have visited. Your failure to condemn this intellectual deficit on Obama's part is something you have yet to adequately explain, even while you sanctimoniously decry the fact that Trump actually admitted to being surprised at the number of countries in the world, something that isn't really an earth-shattering revelation, and isn't particularly remarkable in any event.

Which is more surprising to you: A) somebody who says "I was surprised there were so many countries in the world," or B) a candidate for president of the United States who thinks there are a total of 59 states in the American Union, and that he has visited 57 of them, with two to go.

If you answered "B," then you may be in need of a brain transplant, since the one you're trying to get along with now clearly isn't working very well.

Here's a bit of hardcore reality you apparently fail to grasp: any sniveling complaint about Trump you may choose to offer is automatically going to invoke comparison to his predecessor, because frankly, both are eaten up with human frailty.

Sort of like everybody else, don'cha know?
see post 12

Old 11-08-2017, 03:58 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,599 times
Okay, I dislike Trump as much as the next sane person, but I am not seeing an issue here??? It seems to me that he was saying it in jest. You know, "Oh my God! I did not know how hot it was out here until I came outside!", even though the person just watched the weather man tell them it is 98.

I think it was one of those exaggeration type things. I don't think he was legitimately surprised, he was just saying, "Holy crap I got a lot of calls!".

Although it wouldn't surprise me if he were surprised...

Old 11-08-2017, 04:25 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Really. All people should know the 195 countries in the world.
Yes, I had to look it up.
and oh, wait this web site isnt sure 192-247?

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...iZmU9d6Kk2cZk-
But I bet you can name all of them it being basic stuff anyone should know.

What I find exasperating is that people take every single utterance from his mouth and take it either to the literal extreme or twist and contort its significance and context.
He makes a joke that he didnt realize how many countries there actually were until he became president and they all started calling him and you label him ignorant. Yet he is a millionaire and the president of the United States.
I think there is a segment of our population that has a comprehension and communication deficiency.
I do not think it is stretch to know, very roughly, how many countries in the world there are if you to be the President of the USA. And to not be "surprised" when you learn the exact number. I know the rough amount - I do not know the exact name of every country, but I do know many. And when I look up the number of countries, it is not surprising when I see that number.

Geography has always been a big interest for me, so perhaps it is a bit extreme for me to say this should be "general knowledge" - although I don't think I am asking for much here to expect the President to have a good geography knowledge base.

To me this is just another illustration of Trump's inability to think deeply about things. Comments like "who would have thought that healthcare would be so complicated" come to mind - uh, yes, of course it is freaking complicated, Mr. President. Many people have known that for a long time...

The disconnect from his simple-fix promises that he made during his campaign to the reality of governing are highlighted in these instances.

And you talk about "comprehension and communication deficiency" - that is actually the EXACT critique I'm applying to our President. It is possibly his biggest weakness. His articulation can very much be all over the place, very often (it'd be one thing if this was an uncommon occurrence...but there are many examples in his first ~11 months in office)...and it concerns me.

There are a lot of complaints about the President that I will freely admit are pretty irrelevant or silly...but this is a very valid one, and one area he REALLY needs to improve. Driving the vision for the country is perhaps one of his most important roles - and if he can't properly articulate points clearly and consistently, that is a problem.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:44 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

see post 12
I rightly discarded that submission as off-point, inasmuch as Obama clearly referred to having visited 57 states. He did not mention (and, on the basis thereof, obviously was not contemplating) the number of primaries in which he may have participated.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:46 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
There are a lot of stupid people in America, but I can't think of any instance where someone trumpeted his own stupidity to the extent that Trump does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies