Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should assault rifles (e.g. AR-15) be removed from the marketplace?
Yes 40 24.10%
No 126 75.90%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 10:26 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times

Advertisements

No. What people ignore is that it was also a man with a rifle that stopped the shooter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 10:26 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
You're conflating assault rifle and assault weapon.

Assault rifles date from the StG 44 (Sturmgewehr 44) loosely meaning assault rifle 44. It's an official designation meaning a rifle of intermediate caliber with selective fire, and between SubGuns and Battle Rifles in general lethality.

Assault weapon means a rifle with an arm thing that goes up, bayonet lugs, or barrel shrouds. A media friendly term that is vague and demonized certain weapons to appear more dangerous than Fudd guns (even though Fudd guns come in calibers that can pass entirely through 10-15 people lined up).

The thing I find interesting is what's the purpose of banning rifles? Let's ignore the 2nd and just look at data. Do rifles kill more than any other firearm (civilian use clearly not in combat)? No they don't, they kill less than hands and feet. So why be concerned, you're more likely to be beaten to death than shot and killed by a rifle. Handguns amount to about 70+% of all fatal firearms use (ballpark from memory), but someone thinks rifles are the issue. Some think semi-automatic rifles are the issue (a subset of rifles the FBI doesn't even track, as it's statistically irrelevant).
I think the concern stems solely from the "number of people one can kill very quickly with this firearm" more than anything else. I actually think that on a daily basis, handguns are way more of a concern.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
No. What people ignore is that it was also a man with a rifle that stopped the shooter.
Nope. He didn't. The shooter was done killing. What he did was follow him until the shooter realized he was being followed, pulled over, and shot himself.

You could do that without a gun if you wanted.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:28 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm sure you're incorrect.
Rights, liberty and freedom.
You pick one, I pick all 3.

Explain what your liberties are?
Explain what my liberties are?

I bet money this is going to be funny!

Old 11-09-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You seem to be contradicting yourself from previous posts saying you are Pro 2A. How many guns should we be allowed to have? I bird hunt, so I have a few shotguns for different types of birds. I deer hunt, so I have a few rifles of various calibers, for terrain, and ranges I hunt. I small game hunt so I have .22's, and smaller caliber rifles. I have competitively target shot in the past so I have target rifles, and target oriented hand guns for competition. I keep some hand guns, and rifles for self, and home defense, in various calibers.

Which ones should I give up? They all have a niche. Who gets to decide which ones I have to turn in?
I wasn't really addressing the ones you own. I was addressing your assertion that once you are vetted, you be allowed unfettered access to as many guns as you can afford to buy.

I think people need to be vetted for each gun they buy. I'd rather the number of guns a person buys be tracked.

I think that tracking like this could have helped flag the shooter from Las Vegas as a potential danger, since he was amassing larger quantities in a short amount of time.

That's all.

I get that people own multiple guns. I just don't think they should be buying them bulk, like a Costco special.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Rights, liberty and freedom.
You pick one, I pick all 3.

Explain what your liberties are?
Explain what my liberties are?

I bet money this is going to be funny!
There's really no point. You have your opinion. I have mine. I'm attempting to be reasonable. I don't really know what you're doing. I do know I'm done talking about it with you, though.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:31 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I agree on the AR-15. However Rifles should be allowed as long as the background check comes back OK.
But the AR-15 is a rifle, eh?
"I can't define an assault rifle but I know one when I see it."
Just like Potter Stewart on obscenity, "But I know it when I see it"

Old 11-09-2017, 10:33 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Nope. He didn't. The shooter was done killing. What he did was follow him until the shooter realized he was being followed, pulled over, and shot himself.

You could do that without a gun if you wanted.
Actually he shot the shooter at the church. The shooter then dropped his weapon and fled. You must have missed that on the news. They chased the shooter at speeds of over 100 mph. I think he knew he was being followed.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:33 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Oh I know it. But I like to test the waters of the feeble minded from time to time to get their definition of compromise. Afterall they shot down the Grassley Cruz bill because in addition to mandatory instant reporting of federal employees to NICS, keeping schools safer, property seizure of the attackers to fund programs, it contained pro gun legislation that would have been a fair compromise.

I like to give out enough rope for them to hang themselves. There are 2 definitions of compromise.
1. A fair give and take 1 hand washes the other agreement.
2. Weakening integrity through gradual depletion or all at once effort.

Color me shocked the feeble choose weakening integrity through gradual depletion.
Example.
The hull of the titanic was compromised by an ice berg. The spy's location had been compromised. That's the only compromise they are interested. That's the common sense mantra they spew.

Live in NY fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, absolutely not.

That bill just compromises and infringes the 2nd amendment further. As does any legislation concerning the peoples arms has, since the Civil War. All arms legislation is an infringement on the peoples liberty and is illegally placed upon the people, by definition of the 2nd amendment. Shall not be infringed part, sure has been ignored.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:35 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
I think the concern stems solely from the "number of people one can kill very quickly with this firearm" more than anything else.
How many people can you kill, and how quickly, with a government authorized to restrict its subjects' firearms?

Far more than with an AR-15. Or even several of them. Or a bump stock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies