Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2017, 05:09 PM

26,570 posts, read 14,444,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
And if it was proven that it's 100% not his signature, the left would still say, it's still him, it does not matter because x, y, or z....
it would absolutely affect the credibility of that accuser, there still remains multiple other accusers who wouldn't be affected.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:11 PM

26,570 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You don't even know Roy Moore, ....
this would be an awfully lonely forum if we only discussed people we know.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:20 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Judging from the comments today from the good people of Alabama, you can be a pedophile as long as you're a "good Christian."

Sadly there is a "long" history in the south, especially deep south of older men "abusing" or whatever young girls, though it wasn't always seen as such. Simply as many from that part of the country keep repeating; an "accepted" way of life.

Child rape and or brides while stamped down upon in North East, and West Coasts, was still a time honored custom once you hit Appalachia right on down through the south.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...-s-too-15girls

Imagining Rural Sexuality in the Depression Era: Child Brides, Exploitation Film, and the Winstead-Johns Marriage

This went on for nearly all races; white, black or whatever.

In book and later film Color Purple the young girl Celie is raped repeatedly by her older step-father and gives birth to at least two children. Not covered in the film but well done in book Celie's mother knew about what was gong on, as did members of the local community and church; especially when Celie showed up pregnant twice. But no one did nothing. They also did nothing when after Celie's mother dies her step-father marries off the child as "damaged goods" to middle-aged man (Mister) who adds not just sexual but physical abuse to Celie's life. Meanwhile back at the ranch that step-father has kept Celie's younger sister for himself. She runs away after tiring of fending off the guy only to be set upon by her brother in-law *Mister*. When she turns him down (with a swift kick to the nethers) he throws her out of the house.

When Color Purple was published and certainly film release many in the African American community gave the author strong heat. They claimed she was spreading/airing too much of the dirty linen of the AA community (child rape/marriages, wife beating, etc...) .

Southern culture has long placed females (especially white/European) on a pedestal. Which was fine enough to some extent, but that didn't change their biology and or their overall status in a male dominated culture.

Many seem to forget that this whole "sexual harassments" culture and indeed statues against is a recent incarnation. Laws on federal and or local level didn't begin coming onto the books until 1970's IIRC.

Prior to such laws a man putting his hands on any female say above a child (and that age demographic was rather nebulous), was simply seen as one of the crosses all females had to bear. As Rhett Butler tells Scarlett " it was what you were made for...".

Getting back to the Color Purple book/film; when Sophia makes her famous lines:

"All my life I had to fight. I had to fight my daddy. I had to fight my uncles. I had to fight my brothers. A girl child ain't safe in a family of mens, but I ain't never thought I'd have to fight in my own house!! I loves Harpo, God knows I do. But I'll kill him dead 'fo I let him beat me..."

She spoke of the plight that faced *plenty* of southern, mid-western, and probably all over the USA back then. This has continued really in some form or another in the South well into what we call modern times.

The sad and often disgusting thing is then as now plenty of women really have no sympathy, which explains some of the reactions coming from southern/Alabama females. They simply think " so what?". "What makes you so special? I went through it so did everyone else....".

That is the extension of a belief that females are to be subservient to males in *ALL* ways. After all isn't it written in the Bible? It is no coincidence that popular ditty "Stand By Your Man" was sung by a southern woman, not a Yankee.

Last edited by BugsyPal; 11-17-2017 at 05:46 PM..

Old 11-17-2017, 05:35 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Sadly there is a "long" history in the south, especially deep south of older men "abusing" or whatever young girls, though it wasn't always seen as such. Simply as many from that part of the country keep repeating; an "accepted" way of life.

Child rape and or brides while stamped down upon in North East, and West Coasts, was still a time honored custom once you hit Appalachia right on down through the south.

Imagining Rural Sexuality in the Depression Era: Child Brides, Exploitation Film, and the Winstead-Johns Marriage

In book and later film Color Purple the young girl Celie is raped repeatedly by her older step-father and gives birth to at least two children. Not covered in the film but well done in book Celie's mother knew about what was gong on, as side members of the local community and church; especially when Celie showed up pregnant twice. But no one did nothing. They also did nothing when after Celie's mother dies her step-father marries off the child as "damaged goods" to middle-aged man (Mister) who adds not just sexual but physical abuse to Celie's life. Meanwhile back at the ranch that step-father has kept Celie's younger sister for himself. She runs away after tiring of fending off the guy only to be set upon by her brother in-law *Mister*. When she turns him down (with a swift kick to the nethers) he throws her out of the house.

When Color Purple was published and certainly film release many in the African American community gave the author strong heat. They claimed she was spreading/airing too much of the dirty linen of the AA community (child rape/marriages, wife beating, etc...) .

Southern culture has long placed females (especially white/European) on a pedestal. Which was fine enough to some extent, but that didn't change their biology and or their overall status in a male dominated culture.

Many seem to forget that this whole "sexual harassments" culture and indeed statues against is a recent incarnation. Laws on federal and or local level didn't begin coming onto the books until 1970's IIRC.

Prior to such laws a man putting his hands on any female say above a child (and that age demographic was rather nebulous), was simply seen as one of the crosses all females had to bear. As Rhett Butler tells Scarlett " it was what you were made for...".
great post. I appreciate your taking the time to remind all us what so much of the USA has been like for so long. It is easy to forget what for many of us but a generation or two away.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:38 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:

In book and later film Color Purple the young girl Celie is raped repeatedly by her older step-father and gives birth to at least two children. Not covered in the film but well done in book Celie's mother knew about what was gong on, as did members of the local community and church; especially when Celie showed up pregnant twice. But no one did nothing. They also did nothing when after Celie's mother dies her step-father marries off the child as "damaged goods" to middle-aged man (Mister) who adds not just sexual but physical abuse to Celie's life. Meanwhile back at the ranch that step-father has kept Celie's younger sister for himself. She runs away after tiring of fending off the guy only to be set upon by her brother in-law *Mister*. When she turns him down (with a swift kick to the nethers) he throws her out of the house.

Getting back to the Color Purple book/film; when Sophia makes her famous lines:

"All my life I had to fight. I had to fight my daddy. I had to fight my uncles. I had to fight my brothers. A girl child ain't safe in a family of mens, but I ain't never thought I'd have to fight in my own house!! I loves Harpo, God knows I do. But I'll kill him dead 'fo I let him beat me..."

She spoke of the plight that faced *plenty* of southern, mid-western, and probably all over the USA back then. This has continued really in some form or another in the South well into what we call modern times.

The sad and often disgusting thing is then as now plenty of women really have no sympathy, which explains some of the reactions coming from southern/Alabama females. They simply think " so what?". "What makes you so special? I went through it so did everyone else....".

That is the extension of a belief that females are to be subservient to males in *ALL* ways. After all isn't it written in the Bible? It is no coincidence that popular ditty "Stand By Your Man" was sung by a southern woman, not a Yankee.
Speaking of The Color Purple....

Oprah Winfrey was raped by a cousin at 9 and sexually abused for about five years until 14.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:19 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Speaking of The Color Purple....

Oprah Winfrey was raped by a cousin at 9 and sexually abused for about five years until 14.

There is a *LONG* list of famous women/celebrities who were sexually abused as young girls or boys.

Barbara Stanwyck, Marilyn Monroe, Ella Fitzgerald (IIRC), Billie Holiday, and many more:

https://www.ranker.com/list/celebrit...elebrity-lists

You also have to remember it was *NOT* unheard historically right through the 1950's or even later for parents and or even a mother to "pimp" out their young daughters (or sons) if it would serve a means.

Times were tough and people did what they did to survive I guess. Sexual abuse of children/teens was rampant in the "theater" and or Hollywood. Scores of mothers willingly basically allowed their daughters (or sons) to be raped/abused by this or that Hollywood agent, producer, actor or other "gate keeper". This was for either the money, status and or the belief said person would make their child a "star".

This is covered in book Godfather with detail, but rather glossed over in film:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...es/mXguxIyA04U

https://movies.stackexchange.com/que...of-woltz/66539

Some of this relates to the nearly powerless station of females in society. Many a woman desperate to hold onto any man (for reasons known only to herself) put up with her husband, BF or whatever abusing her daughter/children. Of course if or when things came to light they are there weeping and wailing "I didn't know...." or "What could I do? If I complained I only got it worse..."

It didn't help that then and pretty much still today children are presumed to be lying or making things up when it comes to sexual abuse. Marilyn Monroe promptly informed her foster mother after being raped by one of lodgers (or whoever he was), and the woman simply told her she was lying and otherwise didn't believe.

All this was going on in cities/urban areas. Imagine how much worse it was out on a farm/rural area where there might not be another soul around for miles. So who is or would a child tell?

Finally there is in this country a long held tradition of *NOT* interfering in another household's affairs. This being wife beating right down to child abuse. How a man or parents ran their home was none of anyone else's business. Again many seem to forget late as the 1970's women were still being blamed for being raped, children told they were lying about sexual abuse. Both could be (and were often) accused of "asking for it...."

For children the consequences were dire; bad as the home might be, often the places children were taken away and put into (foster homes, orphanages, work houses, etc...) were just as bad or worse. Rape and abuse of young children and or women in care of state hospitals and institutions was so common it was almost cliché.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:58 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:

Quote:
There is a *LONG* list of famous women/celebrities who were sexually abused as young girls or boys.
Both, actually, are very interesting posts. But we're up to Post #2986. Maybe 1% of the posts are as interesting these, but there's only a limited amount to say about Roy Moore. And 587 posts and counting on Al Franken? Lord have mercy.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:27 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Isn't it amazing they'd rather vote for a child molester theocrat than a man who prosecuted the KKK for murdering 4 little girls, just because the latter has a D by his name? It's not like he's a San Francisco liberal. He's still rather conservative by Democrat standards.

Republican voters just continue to prove they have no morals or integrity. Party is all that matters, no matter how horrible the candidate.
The KKK is quite strong in some areas. They may be part of Moore's base. Of course they would vote against someone who prosecuted them.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:54 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:

Barbara Stanwyck, Marilyn Monroe, Ella Fitzgerald (IIRC), Billie Holiday, and many more:

https://www.ranker.com/list/celebrit...elebrity-lists

You also have to remember it was *NOT* unheard historically right through the 1950's or even later for parents and or even a mother to "pimp" out their young daughters (or sons) if it would serve a means.

Times were tough and people did what they did to survive I guess. Sexual abuse of children/teens was rampant in the "theater" and or Hollywood. Scores of mothers willingly basically allowed their daughters (or sons) to be raped/abused by this or that Hollywood agent, producer, actor or other "gate keeper". This was for either the money, status and or the belief said person would make their child a "star".

This is covered in book Godfather with detail, but rather glossed over in film:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...es/mXguxIyA04U

https://movies.stackexchange.com/que...of-woltz/66539

Some of this relates to the nearly powerless station of females in society. Many a woman desperate to hold onto any man (for reasons known only to herself) put up with her husband, BF or whatever abusing her daughter/children. Of course if or when things came to light they are there weeping and wailing "I didn't know...." or "What could I do? If I complained I only got it worse..."

It didn't help that then and pretty much still today children are presumed to be lying or making things up when it comes to sexual abuse. Marilyn Monroe promptly informed her foster mother after being raped by one of lodgers (or whoever he was), and the woman simply told her she was lying and otherwise didn't believe.

All this was going on in cities/urban areas. Imagine how much worse it was out on a farm/rural area where there might not be another soul around for miles. So who is or would a child tell?

Finally there is in this country a long held tradition of *NOT* interfering in another household's affairs. This being wife beating right down to child abuse. How a man or parents ran their home was none of anyone else's business. Again many seem to forget late as the 1970's women were still being blamed for being raped, children told they were lying about sexual abuse. Both could be (and were often) accused of "asking for it...."

For children the consequences were dire; bad as the home might be, often the places children were taken away and put into (foster homes, orphanages, work houses, etc...) were just as bad or worse. Rape and abuse of young children and or women in care of state hospitals and institutions was so common it was almost cliché.
Ayup, and too many people think Reba McIntyre's song "Fancy" was just a song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zplc4Ienkws

Old 11-17-2017, 10:52 PM

1,349 posts, read 663,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Any links to provide what you say? I'll wait, be very precise....
Would be happy to.

Just you would need to read all posts to find many apologists of rape and child molesting, yours included. Oh no, not in person, just as moore's apologists (it wasn't so bad-back then, you see?), and I'm pretty sure, even internet threads you post on, you don't read. Let's not talk about books, ethics, philosophy, then. Let's keep it simple.

Here is a simple example :

I'll give you an full copy I responded to (don't care if the poster was southern or not)

Originally Posted by .
Considering the fact that Moore's opponent has no problem with killing a child in the 9th month, I would have no problem voting for a guy who would try to stop it even if he did have an attraction for teenagers 40 years ago, he didn't rape them.

In the south at that time, many women married at a very young age, my mom married at 15. My parents had a very happy marriage and my father treated her like a queen. I heard only one argument in 18 years (when I got married). My best memory of their marriage was that every day when my father came home from work he would always put his arms around her and hold her. I remember always hearing him say "I love you Hon."

I didn't quote her/him (I'm not THAT evil) but then, who am I from letting the Lord Google recognize them?

Seriously? How can you lose efforts on such a lost cause ? How can you deal with your morality on such ?

It reminds me of self calling christians who defended the josh duggard case while attacking gay mariage. Get a GROPE, people

Last edited by personne; 11-17-2017 at 11:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies