Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2017, 06:51 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Sadly there is a "long" history in the south, especially deep south of older men "abusing" or whatever young girls, though it wasn't always seen as such. Simply as many from that part of the country keep repeating; an "accepted" way of life.

Child rape and or brides while stamped down upon in North East, and West Coasts, was still a time honored custom once you hit Appalachia right on down through the south.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...-s-too-15girls

Imagining Rural Sexuality in the Depression Era: Child Brides, Exploitation Film, and the Winstead-Johns Marriage

This went on for nearly all races; white, black or whatever.

In book and later film Color Purple the young girl Celie is raped repeatedly by her older step-father and gives birth to at least two children. Not covered in the film but well done in book Celie's mother knew about what was gong on, as did members of the local community and church; especially when Celie showed up pregnant twice. But no one did nothing. They also did nothing when after Celie's mother dies her step-father marries off the child as "damaged goods" to middle-aged man (Mister) who adds not just sexual but physical abuse to Celie's life. Meanwhile back at the ranch that step-father has kept Celie's younger sister for himself. She runs away after tiring of fending off the guy only to be set upon by her brother in-law *Mister*. When she turns him down (with a swift kick to the nethers) he throws her out of the house.

When Color Purple was published and certainly film release many in the African American community gave the author strong heat. They claimed she was spreading/airing too much of the dirty linen of the AA community (child rape/marriages, wife beating, etc...) .

Southern culture has long placed females (especially white/European) on a pedestal. Which was fine enough to some extent, but that didn't change their biology and or their overall status in a male dominated culture.

Many seem to forget that this whole "sexual harassments" culture and indeed statues against is a recent incarnation. Laws on federal and or local level didn't begin coming onto the books until 1970's IIRC.

Prior to such laws a man putting his hands on any female say above a child (and that age demographic was rather nebulous), was simply seen as one of the crosses all females had to bear. As Rhett Butler tells Scarlett " it was what you were made for...".

Getting back to the Color Purple book/film; when Sophia makes her famous lines:

"All my life I had to fight. I had to fight my daddy. I had to fight my uncles. I had to fight my brothers. A girl child ain't safe in a family of mens, but I ain't never thought I'd have to fight in my own house!! I loves Harpo, God knows I do. But I'll kill him dead 'fo I let him beat me..."

She spoke of the plight that faced *plenty* of southern, mid-western, and probably all over the USA back then. This has continued really in some form or another in the South well into what we call modern times.

The sad and often disgusting thing is then as now plenty of women really have no sympathy, which explains some of the reactions coming from southern/Alabama females. They simply think " so what?". "What makes you so special? I went through it so did everyone else....".

That is the extension of a belief that females are to be subservient to males in *ALL* ways. After all isn't it written in the Bible? It is no coincidence that popular ditty "Stand By Your Man" was sung by a southern woman, not a Yankee.
Interesting insights here, appreciate. There are very obviously differences in the regional cultures of the United States of America. Acceptance of violence as a valid or legitimate or justifiable response to a perceived insult to a man's honor is much more a part of the Southern regional culture.

Quote:
In the United States, the homicide rate in the South is consistently higher than the rate in the North. In this brilliantly argued book, Richard Nisbett and Dov Cohen use this fact as a starting point for an exploration of the underlying reasons for violence.

According to Nisbett and Cohen, the increased tendency of white southerners to commit certain kinds of violence is not due to socioeconomic class, population density, the legacy of slavery, or the heat of the South; it is the result of a culture of honor in which a man’s reputation is central to his economic survival. Working from historical, survey, social policy, and experimental data, the authors show that in the South it is more acceptable to be violent in response to an insult, in order to protect home and property, and to aid in socializing children. These values are reflected not only in what southerners say, but also in the institutional practices of the South, the actions of Southerners, and their physiological responses to perceived affronts. ...
Culture of Honor: The Psychology of Violence in the South
https://westviewpress.com/books/culture-of-honor/

Old 11-18-2017, 06:58 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
How often do political candidates pull out a gun at a campaign rally & to the cheers of many in their audience?

Alabama runoff candidate Roy Moore pulls gun out at campaign rally

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...lly/703313001/

How is it acceptable & taken as part of one's heritage to lionize, celebrate, & honor those who took up arms against the United States of America?

Old 11-18-2017, 07:01 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
In contrast: Have any royboy staffers even opened their mouth to defend him? Answer is NO! One former asst DA said everyone in the office knew he chased young girls.

Al's staff defends him. ALL women.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/female-...o-his-defense/

Old 11-18-2017, 07:03 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Judging from the comments today from the good people of Alabama, you can be a pedophile as long as you're a "good Christian."
Try to stay between the lines. No one has accused Moore of that crime which is a psychiatric aberration.
If you are confused look it up. I recommend the wikipedia article.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:10 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This may be off-topic but here's my defense of Mormonism from a Jew. For a cult, they're quite high in accomplishments, education and social cohesion and order. A lot like the Jews. They do not seek life savings froooooooooooooooooom people. They have a consistent set of ethics and rules that applies to all people.

They are not a cult.
I'm an atheist, loud and proud, but in my part of the world there is a large Mormon population. I think their religion is bat... you know what... crazy, but I have a ton of respect for the way they live their lives.

They are family centered, contribute to the community in real ways, not just platitudes, have a great work ethic, in addition to the attributes you listed. My interactions with them have always been respectful, and that goes both ways, even though they know of my strong atheism.

I agree, I slot them in with "the good group" of humanity. If they are a cult as was suggested, please, I wished more cults were like them.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:11 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
In contrast: Have any royboy staffers even opened their mouth to defend him? Answer is NO! One former asst DA said everyone in the office knew he chased young girls.

Yes, I noticed that also. Good point.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:17 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post

Sure. They're getting a paycheck! What do you think they're going to do?

Old 11-18-2017, 08:46 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Sure. They're getting a paycheck! What do you think they're going to do?
Some of them don't work for him anymore. Why is roy's staff NOT defending him likewise? They are getting a paycheck as well.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:05 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Yes, I feel that leaning heavily on the handwriting analysis proving anything will be a waste. It's a stretch and this is all they've got? As mentioned, with Graphology, one's handwriting can change over time. Those feeling theirs "is the same as always" doesn't matter, since people are not identical and there can be changes in pressure, slant or letter formation. But this is not what should be relied upon as proof in this case, anyway.

I think it's funny that, despite other information given regarding many events and his known proclivities, that there can even be doubts, persisted by those who would rather choose to look away from the truth, despite their religious beliefs. I wonder, if only God himself could indicate the truth to these folks, if they would get it, then? (Think of all the time that would not be wasted, if only visual proof could be provided in this way, regarding these wrongdoings).
I beginning to think Roy Moore's defenders are trying to convinced themselves to vote for him by introducing every conceivable theory that what he did was normal.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:12 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
The man who managed the mall during that time frame has given a stmt that Moore was never banned from the mall.
I keep seeing this but is there a source or an interview? I've not seen it sourced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
And, what's your excuse?

You really do hate Christians, don't you? And you are quick to believe anything anyone says against them. You don't even know Roy Moore, except for what you have read in the biased Left Wing Media.

We don't have to "kneel in front of the cross" to be forgiven. God forgave our sins when we first believed, and he does not withdraw his grace ...his forgiveness ...ever. We are justified through faith by his grace.

Roy Moore has no history of having "a taste for underaged kids." That has been manufactured by the Left. His lawyer says he has know Roy for 20+ years and has never known him to act in an inappropriate way around any women.

Are we to believe you, who has never met the man; never known him personally? What you have said is libelous. You have no proof. You are just repeating what has been said by other liars.

I believe these women are liars, and the more people like you continue to smear Moore, the more I distrust them and the Democrats who have engineered this attempt to destroy this man completely and ruin his life. The Democrats have a long history of this.
LOL. You are actually to the point where criticism of Roy Moore means 'you hate all Christians' a phrase you use a LOT in response to any argument.

No one is 'relying on the left wing media'. We are relying on the women themselves and the words coming out of their own mouths. We watched their interviews. Duh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies