Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2017, 09:19 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Not really.

People can learn the error of their ways. Given that law school gooes till at least age 25, he would have been out in the "real world" for a comparatively short time.
And yet, oddly, many states allow older teenagers to be tried as adults - while they're still in high school.

Now if you're saying that Moore is an extreme case of arrested development, then maybe you'd have a point. But it hardly reflects well on Moore.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:27 AM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This may be off-topic but here's my defense of Mormonism from a Jew. For a cult, they're quite high in accomplishments, education and social cohesion and order. A lot like the Jews. They do not seek life savings froooooooooooooooooom people. They have a consistent set of ethics and rules that applies to all people.

They are not a cult.
Even if your post is off-topic, I would like to say that, as a lifelong Mormon, I appreciated it very much. Just a few comments from me...

1. This thread is supposed to be about Roy Moore. Why some people use every opportunity they get to bring Mormonism into the discussion is beyond me, but they seem to do so without fail.

2. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a Christian denomination. Period.

3. Its membership is now just under 16 million worldwide. Warren Jeffs is the leader of an entirely different group of people, the Fundamentalist Church of Latter-day Saints. That church's membership numbers about 10,000.

4. Latter-day Saints (LDS/Mormons), as you have indicated, have assimilated into their societies and cultures around the world. They place a high value on education and community service, and serve in positions of responsibility in government and the private sector. They do not isolate themselves from the rest of the world and demand mindless obedience to nut cases like Warren Jeffs.

5. The FLDS are not the same as the LDS. People need to stop lumping them all together.

End of rant. Now back to our discussion about Roy Moore, who is neither LDS nor FLDS.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:42 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Even if your post is off-topic, I would like to say that, as a lifelong Mormon, I appreciated it very much. Just a few comments from me...

1. This thread is supposed to be about Roy Moore. Why some people use every opportunity they get to bring Mormonism into the discussion is beyond me, but they seem to do so without fail.

2. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a Christian denomination. Period.

3. Its membership is now just under 16 million worldwide. Warren Jeffs is the leader of an entirely different group of people, the Fundamentalist Church of Latter-day Saints. That church's membership numbers about 10,000.

4. Latter-day Saints (LDS/Mormons), as you have indicated, have assimilated into their societies and cultures around the world. They place a high value on education and community service, and serve in positions of responsibility in government and the private sector. They do not isolate themselves from the rest of the world and demand mindless obedience to nut cases like Warren Jeffs.

5. The FLDS are not the same as the LDS. People need to stop lumping them all together.

End of rant. Now back to our discussion about Roy Moore, who is neither LDS nor FLDS.

You mean Christians are not all the same as the Westboro Baptist group? Really?

On second thought, maybe Roy Moore is a closeted member of that group.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:44 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I keep seeing this but is there a source or an interview? I've not seen it sourced.

LOL. You are actually to the point where criticism of Roy Moore means 'you hate all Christians' a phrase you use a LOT in response to any argument.

No one is 'relying on the left wing media'. We are relying on the women themselves and the words coming out of their own mouths. We watched their interviews. Duh.
I searched it yesterday and found it on Breitbart. Snopes has written about it now. https://www.snopes.com/2017/11/17/ro...ng-teen-girls/

Old 11-18-2017, 10:02 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

I had no idea there was a difference. I thought Fundamentalist meant they try to live closer to the basic teachings of the religion.

Thanks for setting me straight.

So the Fundamentalist Church of Latter-day Saints is not associated with Latter-day Saints/Mormons?

Old 11-18-2017, 10:08 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Says she doesn't want to say it, then says she believes Luther Strange is behind this conspiracy to smear Moore's good name.

https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/statu...76051671756800

Old 11-18-2017, 10:17 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Why won't Gloria Allred release yearbook for forensic handwriting analysis?

Old 11-18-2017, 10:32 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I had no idea there was a difference. I thought Fundamentalist meant they try to live closer to the basic teachings of the religion.

So the Fundamentalist Church of Latter-day Saints is not associated with Latter-day Saints/Mormons?
Nope, separate churches. There are other offshoots (also separate). Not considered part of the main LDS church. Broke off.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:39 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Not organizationally. The FLDS claim they practice Joseph Smith's / Brigham Young's original teachings, especially with regard to polygamy and race, which the LDS repudiated years ago. In fact, the LDS church has supported LE in its efforts to rein these folks in.

I believe there are also some (very) small Mormon denominations that are affiliated with neither the FLDS nor the LDS, but I don't know much about them.

And yes, the FLDS believes in marrying off girls as they hit puberty to older men who are powerful figures in the church. Besides being a problem for girls/women, it's also a problem for younger men and men who are not part of the governing circle.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:59 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Here is an explanation of why the yearbook is a forgery.

Did anyone already mention her stepson was interviewed and said she is a liar out for money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies