Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2017, 01:49 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
BULL -- I've been to the area many many many many many times.

I suspect there were more Alabamians then Floridians there - especially this time of year.

That still doesn't provide a sensible, reason for holding it in another state.
moneill? We call the panhandle of Florida "lower Alabama" politically and culturally from the rest of the state.

Trump holding a rally for Moore in Miami , Orlando or Tampa wouldn't have gone over that well.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:52 PM

8,499 posts, read 4,552,009 times
Quote:
Please let's not go down the attack or blind support of Trump.

I really am curious and baffled that Trump chose to obviously not go into Alabama to campaign for Moore. He chose to go to Pensacola.

That makes no logical, intelligent sense to me.

If you are campaigning for a candidate shouldn't you do it in THEIR district.

Addendum (I was soaking up some sun, sand, and relaxation this week so I may have missed the story on this one)

Trump may want to help elect Moore but he wants some distance as well. The site of the rally was calculated. Pensacola, FL is close to Alabama and its media market penetrates the state of AL. It allowed Trump to campaign for Moore while not actually being in the state and pictured with Moore. This gives Trump "some" distance from Moore and his issues. If Alabama were actually to go against expectations and elect Jones, Trump will claim he never went to Alabama and campaigned for or with Moore. He will then of course neglect to mention he was near the border campaigning for him, tweeted support, and recorded robo calls. Furthermore, it denies the Democrats the prized picture of the two alleged serial assaulters together for use in other campaigns nationally.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:57 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
There is a difference between visiting there and living in the area, doing business in the area. Media beams from Pensacola, Ft Walton, Tallahassee into South Georgia and South Alabama. Mobile media broadcast signals easily reach into the Florida Panhandle. Same with the print media when that was important. The area is very tight. I ran a project that included the entirety of the Gulf Coast, from New Orleans to Tallahassee because the area is so integrated.

I know. You are supposing.

This explains why Mr Trump is President and not Mrs Clinton.

Quote:
BULL -- I've been to the area many many many many many times.

I suspect there were more Alabamians then Floridians there - especially this time of year.

That still doesn't provide a sensible, reason for holding it in another state.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:58 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Trump may want to help elect Moore but he wants some distance as well. ...
Incorrect.

Trump has fully endorsed Moore and is running campaign robo calls inside the state.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:33 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
I did also acknowledge your scenario was still possible. Just sharing an example of the travel for a recent event.

Let’s see...I do think there was a little light snow off and on, but emphasis on light. It melted away quickly overall and I don’t recall any real freeway problems, etc. Maybe I will view the video of his visit and see if it was even snowing during that window he was here.

I remember being amused at how Raleigh basically shut down when we were visiting and got like 1/2” snow. Here we are ready with snow plows all the time and life goes on. Snow days would only happen in heavy snowfalls. It’s possible it was heavier at Hill, but unknown. Barring that, it would have been about the same experience in either place as far as getting around.

Afterwards he just went back to the WH, I read, so that would have been practically the same from SLC or Hill.
I like living in a place (the Houston metro) where having to worry about road conditions is a rare occurrence. We got some snow last week that 'stuck' overnight. It was the first time we've had over an inch of snow since February of 2010. I've been here since 2008, and I remember noticing snow stick three times....Dec. 2008, Dec. 2009, and Feb. 2010. Sure enough, those were the three time frames (post 2007) that I saw on the news last week. It seems as though 95+% of the people here have no idea how to drive when there is ice or snow on the ground. In places where the road construction includes a 'dig' (below ground level, but still exposed....to help mitigate traffic congestion, to allow trucks to clear old railroad tracks, etc) they often plaster what look like gargantuan rulers (measurement rulers) plastered to the walls....to help people gauge the depth of of standing water. This is a good idea...but it isn't always effective . The dad of a friend of mine got transferred from California to New Jersey right after she got her license at 16. Her parents bought a FWD VW station wagon in New Jersey. Within a few weeks she totaled the VW into a tree re some black ice...not having learned to adapt her still new driving habits to the unfamiliar snowy and icy conditions. I love to ski, but I hate driving in snow or ice (and I love to drive...all over the US and Canada, many places in Europe, and a bit in Mexico (closer to 1.5 million miles now than a million). I don't mind rain at all . I lived in Mammoth Lakes, CA for one ski season, and Incline Village, NV for another....but I never drove when it was icy or could only see snow/couldn't see the road bed..... I just utilized the existing shuttles. I've been to Utah many times, but the only time I've been there on the ground during 'snow season' was on a group trip on a bus with Aspen as the eventual destination.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:43 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
I wondered that, too. Apparently Alabama's news stations are shared by Florida.

So I guess that means he gets the mileage of the publicity in Alabama, while indulging his laziness. He gets to be in his stomping ground in Florida, and won't have to confront potentially angry protesters in Alabama.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:00 PM

46 posts, read 24,275 times
It's smart is what it is

Old 12-11-2017, 04:09 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
It doesn't matter what some poll or another says, that much was shown in the last election. We'll all know for sure who will win tomorrow night.
Either way Alabama loses...

Old 12-11-2017, 04:22 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Well, at least you acknowledge my point about the potential of Air Force One delaying flights at a civilian airport.

You may be right, but I don't think your singular example alone....at least with the information provided...shows that I'm wrong. I had two related thoughts while reading that example:

1. What were the road conditions and weather like when Trump was in SLC? (If the weather and road conditions = enough below ideal....and the SS would have to deal with that....that might outweigh the flight inconvenience issue.

2. Where was he headed next?

---------

I was curious re 'Has Trump held rallies in Mobile, AL' and 'has Trump held rallies in Pensacola FL'. The answer is....both. Trump held one rally in Mobile (August 2015) before he started getting Secret Service protection, and then after getting SS protection held a rally at the same (as 12/8/2017) Pensacola Bay Center in January of 2016, and at Land-Peebles Stadium (same site as August of 2015) in Mobile in December of 2016.

I can think of two reasons off the top of my head that the Pensacola Bay Center might have won out this time:

1. Weather (Land-Peebles Stadium = outdoor venue, the Pensacola Bay Center = indoor venue...and people waited in rain gear to get into the PBC on 12/8)

2 Trump's massive ego (Land-Peebles has 4x the capacity of the Pensacola Bay Center...harder for it to look 'crowded')

-----------

Your point re the promise from two or so weeks ago could be significant. I could see Kelly trying to get Trump to pay attention to that.
Re the bolded, see the copy of Trump's tweet in Immerse's 'inaccurate photo' thread.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:08 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If the people of Alabama elect Jones, it will show that they have more going for them then those who still defend their selection of Hillary.
Why do you refer to the man with his surname, but do not afford the same courtesy and respect for the woman?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies