Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 06:33 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I live in a blue state with NO income tax. This will not affect me.
I know that and it should be quite evident by the question I asked of you that you avoided. What I asked was how you can justify paying more federal income tax than someone in California making the exact same thing you do?

Quote:
But blue states have been subsidizing red states for decades and red states have never complained about that. They are just fine with sucking up all the federal dollars. Here are the states most federally dependent:
This has been gone over numerous times in this forum and debunked each and every time. While the raw numbers you cite may fool the simple minded they aren't going to fool someone that realizes this is a very complex calculation. So complex it may be impossible to do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 06:36 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I know that and it should be quite evident by the question I asked of you that you avoided. What I asked was how you can justify paying more federal income tax than someone in California making the exact same thing you do?

This has been gone over numerous times in this forum and debunked each and every time. While the raw numbers you cite may fool the simple minded they aren't going to fool someone that realizes this is a very complex calculation. So complex it may be impossible to do...
Debunked how? If you say it’s a complex calculation and may be impossible to do so mm

How is a state with low income, low taxes, high unemployment rate, low salaries, are able to fund infrastructure, education, and low income programs on a STATE level?

They can’t because they barely bring money in, yet receive a whole bunch of federal subsidies.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:40 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:

It's not that complex. This seems to a thing where when red states are benefitting, "it's very complex!" so their answer it to "let red states benefit more!" All this while blue state votes count less. It's all a recipe for an eventual civil war.

Republicans like Peter King are saying such a vote is impossible, since he would be voting to penalize his own constituents.

“To me it’s about the most obvious message you can get. I just hope people listen,” he said, imploring GOP leaders to rethink the contours of the tax bill. “It’s just common sense. These aren’t [just] tough votes, they’re votes that go right against our constituents.

GOP’s Election Bloodbath In The Suburbs Complicates Tax Cut Push – Talking Points Memo

Old 11-09-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
Conversely, why should low tax states receive more money than they put into federal taxes?
The problems with these "studies" is they are using a very basic number without accounting for many of the variables as to why that might be. For example NM always tops these lists by a huge margin. Sandia and Los Alamos by themselves add approximately $2600 in per capita federal spending there.

As another example I-80 which runs from SF to NYC has it's longest section going through Nebraska, the conga line of trucks traveling through Nebraska would actually be a drain on their tax dollars.

As another example here in PA a lot of the companies drilling gas are from Texas, the taxes they and their employees pay from Texas are attributed to Texas.

As another example the state of Florida has a lot of retirees move there....

This is the tip of the iceberg, this would be a very complex calculation and you would need to account for these an many other things. As I said it may be impossibly complex.

Last edited by thecoalman; 11-09-2017 at 06:53 PM..

Old 11-09-2017, 06:46 PM

It's like the GOP no does not want to appeal to suburbs:

"...Republicans hold nine of the 20 districts with the most people reliant on SALT deductions, and seven of those who’d be hardest hit by the percentage of their income."

GOP’s Election Bloodbath In The Suburbs Complicates Tax Cut Push – Talking Points Memo

Old 11-09-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
It's not that complex.
Yes it is. How much of the federal funding going to Nebraska to maintain I-80 do we attribute to the benfit of Nebraska, NYC, SF and all the other destinations in between? When you have adequately answered that we will move onto the next variable.

You are still avoiding the question I asked.

What I asked was how you can justify paying more federal income tax than someone in California making the exact same thing you do?

Old 11-09-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Yes it is. How much of the federal funding going to Nebraska to maintain I-80 do we attribute to the benfit of Nebraska, NYC, SF and all the other destinations in between? When you have adequately answered that we will move onto the next variable.

You are still avoiding the question I asked.

What I asked was how you can justify paying more federal income tax than someone in California making the exact same thing you do?
I feel I already pay more than many other states. It's that simple. I already do. Republican Darrell Issa said:

“If we had stuck just to things that generated economic growth and left all the other so-called reforms out we’d have a cleaner bill that’d be easier to pass,” he said. “Once we got into telling people how much we were going to cut their taxes we got into a question of how we’re going to pay for it, and we’re paying for it by raising other people’s taxes, and it happens that it is not evenly distributed by state.”

This will result in blue states having no Republican representatives because voters will say "why vote for the guy that voted to raise my taxes?"

Old 11-09-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I feel I already pay more than many other states.
You are not answering my question, you should be a politician.

Quote:
we’re paying for it by raising other people’s taxes, and it happens that it is not evenly distributed by state.”
LOL, it's not evenly distributed because it wasn't evenly distributed to begin with. They are rectifying a situation where someone in one state was paying more than someone in another state.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:59 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
Quote:
I live in a blue state with NO income tax. This will not affect me. But blue states have been subsidizing red states for decades and red states have never complained about that. They are just fine with sucking up all the federal dollars. Here are the states most federally dependent:

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/

And then we look at how the vote in blue states counts for less, while the blue states contribute more federally than red states:

For complicated reasons — some of which have to do with rural poverty, some of which have to do with the basic physics of supporting infrastructure in low-density regions — a disproportionate amount of per capita federal spending and benefits now flow down to the low-density states. According to a study by the Tax Foundation conducted several years ago, for every dollar New Jersey pays in federal taxes, it receives 61 cents in benefits and other federal spending. For the same dollar of taxes Wyoming spends, it gets $1.11 back.

Why Blue States Are the Real ‘Tea Party’
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/03/o...tea-party.html

People in NJ like to complain about taxes but deep down they enjoy paying them. They just elected a new Governor yesterday that ran on a platform of raising state taxes 1.3 billion dollars more.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:00 PM

Since you suggest this is so easy to calculate who is paying what this is this the next question to answer:

How much of the federal funding going to Nebraska to maintain I-80 do we attribute to the benefit of Nebraska, NYC, SF and all the other destinations in between?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies