Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2017, 04:23 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times

Advertisements

Do children even use Facebook anymore ?

--
The Facebook founders purposefully created something addictive, the social network's first president told Axios in an interview.

“God only knows what it's doing to our children's brains,” Sean Parker said in the interview published Thursday.

With each like and comment, Facebook is “exploiting” human psychology on purpose to keep users hooked on a “social-validation feedback loop,” Parker said, adding that it is “exactly the kind of thing that a hacker like myself would come up with.”

According to Axios, Parker joked that Zuckerberg would block him on Facebook after reading what he said in the interview

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ldrens-brains/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 05:08 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
The founder might be right. Facebook by no fault by owners seems to often be a Fakebook!

Many times I have seen nice and beautiful pictures of people I know. But when I meet with the same people the beautiful pics didn't resemble their feelings or experience they had during the time frame the pictures were posted.

It's a make up world to show others how they want to be

Old 11-10-2017, 05:11 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
I have three children, and I know what social media they and their friends use, and it is not Facebook. They think Facebook is for old people. So while those words may ring true for Instagram and Snapchat, Facebook is irrelevant when it comes to children.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Yep. Neither my daughter or her friends use Facebook. If I was a kid or a teen, I wouldn't either. I wouldn't want all the parents to be able to see what I was doing.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:29 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
I think social media is going to be one of those things that people 20-30yrs in the future will be asking why people were so crazy to get involved in, just like we do in regards to some goofy stuff people decades ago, how could they not have seen the dangers?

Old 11-10-2017, 06:33 AM

128 posts, read 97,943 times
Never mind the children; I've seen what it does to adult's brains.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:39 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,782,671 times
My kids use Facebook to post pictures for their grandmother and aunts and uncles. All the peer interaction is in Instagram, Snapchat and Pinterest.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:12 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Do children even use Facebook anymore ?

--
The Facebook founders purposefully created something addictive, the social network's first president told Axios in an interview.

“God only knows what it's doing to our children's brains,” Sean Parker said in the interview published Thursday.

With each like and comment, Facebook is “exploiting” human psychology on purpose to keep users hooked on a “social-validation feedback loop,” Parker said, adding that it is “exactly the kind of thing that a hacker like myself would come up with.”

According to Axios, Parker joked that Zuckerberg would block him on Facebook after reading what he said in the interview

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ldrens-brains/
Thats exactly right. And like anything sold or marketed, it's explicit purpose is to get you to use it. Facebook is addictive to millions of people, and it's sad but it's completely true. I'm not sure that was their designed purpose, but why wouldn't it be?

Americans need to wake up before it's too late. We (not I) are too busy counting our likes on Facebook instead of watching the news and standing in line to vote. (If you get your news from Facebook you don't know much about anything)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies