Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 10:53 AM

50,108 posts, read 46,707,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
This philosophy has even been advocated by large , urban police agencies. "Give them what they want." The theory being if you just submit a criminal won't hurt or kill you. The hole in that are glaringly obvious and I've gone into to to many times.

I have seen posters here say that there is nothing that you possess that is worth taking a life for or risking your own life by fighting back. There's even been threads on it remember. Get's me to thinking.
Scary story. Before I moved to SD I got a job at a convenience store to ensure I could transfer here and hit it running with a job. I had the night shift. Right after I moved my boss had to cover my shift until another employee was trained. She ended up getting robbed and the guy took her in the back and shot her in the head.

I never would have went in the back room with a gunman. NEVER. I also would have had my piece on me too regardless of what policy was.

My point being, just give them what they want, doesn't always go well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 10:59 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,488,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
If the bad guys can't get guns they will simply rent a truck.
True, but they will always have access to guns regardless of our laws.

Gun laws will only stop law abiding citizens from getting guns.

Laws are to describe unacceptable social behavior and prescribe punishment.

Owning a gun is not unacceptable social behavior.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:26 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,511,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
He didn't this time. You seem to miss the point. If I walk into a crowded restaurant and take 10 shots, missing everyone inside, then I either purposely missed, or it was luck. In the store owner/clerk/whatever situation, it was clearly luck. I mean, you do realize that bullets go through things, right? There could have been people in the parking lot, street, or nearby building struck. It isn't just about "getting the bad guys".

Yes, it does. Brandishing the weapon or firing one shot would have done the same thing as shooting all over the store though.

You are either VERY naïve, straight up lying to yourself, or not very bright. If you truly believe the lines above, you should really seek help, because you are living in fantasy land.

I may be a liberal, but I have no issues with gun ownership. I own one myself. A nice little .22 with a concealed carry permit to be exact. My family is filled with responsible gun owners as well.

So, class, what have we learned? That painting with as broad a brush as "texan2yankee" does is ignorant, and shows you know nothing about a topic.
You carry a .22 for self defense? Why?

Old 11-13-2017, 11:51 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,691,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
shot placement is more important than the caliber of the weapon. also i will note that most people crap their pants at the sight of a gun being pointed at them, even if they have a gun of their own.

as a line in a movie goes, "nothing makes a man more nervous than someone standing their ground when they should be running like a scalded a$$ed ape".

Old 11-13-2017, 11:53 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,591,410 times
Quote:
It fits in my purse and isn't too heavy.... I go into some pretty bad neighborhoods by myself sometimes, and like to be prepared in case. Never had to even think about using it though, so that is a plus. We have something a little more powerful at home.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:57 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,691,502 times
Quote:
the other thing i might point out is that most gun experts will tell you that the best caliber weapon for self defense is the one you have.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:07 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,638,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
General store owner unleashes a hail of gunfire on three would-be robbers who try to hold him up
Louisiana store owner shoots at would-be robbers in video | Daily Mail Online

Father grabs his gun and chases gang who tried to abduct his daughter, 17, before cops stop the fleeing kidnappers on the highway and find guns, a knife and roll of tape inside their vehicle
Florida dad foils kidnapping of his daughter | Daily Mail Online

When seconds count, the Police are minutes away!
When someone owns a gun the gun is more likely to kill someone the gun owner knows either by accident, by the gun owner shooting an acquaintance in a argument, or by another family member using the gun to commit a homicide or commit suicide. And women who live in a home with a gun are 2.7 times more likely to be murdered than women living in a home with no gun.
Dangerous Gun Myths - The New York Times

"According to FBI data, nearly eight times more people were shot and killed in arguments than by civilians trying to stop a crime."

"The odds of an assault victim being shot were 4.5 times greater if he carried a gun. His odds of being killed were 4.2 times greater."

"For every time a gun is used in self-defense in the home, there are 7 assaults or murders, 11 suicide attempts, and 4 accidents involving guns in or around a home."

"More than 5 times more women were shot by husbands, boyfriends, and ex-partners than murdered by male strangers."

10 Pro-Gun Myths, Shot Down – Mother Jones

Old 11-13-2017, 12:09 PM

24,297 posts, read 17,014,286 times
It should be up to an individual if they want to buy into the responsibility of owning a gun. Some people flat out should not be allowed because they are nuts, others have no interest so should not be forced, others are afraid of them and concerned that they or a member of their family will be shot. With all that being said people that want to own a gun should be able to as long as they follow the laws.

I wonder if the you know what hit the fan if the anti gunners would turn to their gun toting neighbors for protection?

IN 2013 the Boston Marathon was bombed by 2 terrorists. They fled and a huge manhunt chased them and caught up with them outside Boston in Watertown where the terrorists had a gun battle with the cops and used pipe bombs to try to get away. This all took place on a quiet suburban street meaning it can happen anywhere.
Imagine hiding in your house with nothing but a locked door to keep the murdering terrorists from killing you and your family?
I think on that day even the anti gunners who were told to shelter in place wished they had a firearm just in case.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:01 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,511,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
shot placement is more important than the caliber of the weapon. also i will note that most people crap their pants at the sight of a gun being pointed at them, even if they have a gun of their own.

as a line in a movie goes, "nothing makes a man more nervous than someone standing their ground when they should be running like a scalded a$$ed ape".
Unfortunately the movies are fiction, I agree, shot placement is important, but don't tell me a .22 has more stopping power than a larger caliber weapon. The bad guy may be high or just full up on adrenaline, they might not even feel the shot, and if it doesn't drop them, they are going to continue their attack. As most experienced gun owners will tell you, especially as it relates to this thread, the real world isn't the range, if you can get 40- 50% of your accuracy and technique in a real street situation, you're good, that's about the best cops get and they train all the time. So maybe you can shoot a 2" group in the best of conditions, when you have to draw and fire within seconds while under attack, ............................... So the next time you go to the range, holster your .22, start a timer, pull it and fire in 3-5 seconds, put one right between the eyes or right in the middle of the chest, if you didn't do that, you are in trouble. Now, do the same with a 9mm, get within about a 6" circle around the chest, it's much more likely going to stop the perp.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:04 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,469,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
It fits in my purse and isn't too heavy.... I go into some pretty bad neighborhoods by myself sometimes, and like to be prepared in case. Never had to even think about using it though, so that is a plus. We have something a little more powerful at home.
Terrible place to keep a weapon. Never ever leave a pistol in a purse! Someone snatches it you are screwed, big time.

Why do women carry in purses? Ya'll have more options available for carrying than a purse...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies