Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 09:24 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
You do realize people lie on purpose to those polls right?
Or are you insinuating that less people own an average of what 20-50 firearms a piece?

I see more and more women buying guns. Logic would dictate if a woman buys a gun, she increases ownership rate. But may answer no on a poll as it is nobodies business what you own, unless you broad cast it...

I was so close to biting on that reply... but didn't. In the past 5 years I have known many that never owned firearms are now buying them, and also getting their CPL. Here in MI, there was such a backlog on new CPL applications it was taking close to 6 months to get approval. Yeah, many more people are buying them for sure. Same with those evil black rifles. How many new companies have popped up in the past 5-8 years. Only an ignorant person would believe it's just the usual suspects that are already owners , buying more. Although he and others like him will cling to some poll that claims ownership is dropping.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
People shot and killed by the police last year in:

UK: 4

Germany: 10

United States: 957

I'm 100% pro police but our cops are forced to be trigger happy since every single person they encounter has a high probability of being armed. Hence they need to be on high alert all the time, which is extremely stressful and leads to a better chance for mental issues down the road. They also have far more encounters with armed people then any other police force in any other first world nation. They also get killed in the line of duty far more often.

Fair comparison...right

Population of the UK = 66 million

Population of Germany = 80 million

Population of the US = 323 million

Old 11-13-2017, 09:40 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
It definitely could happen. It certainly wouldn't work, but don't underestimate the power of the prison industrial complex in this country, not to mention criminal organizations would greatly profit from it being illegal. There seems to be some sort of will to ban things that's part of the national DNA.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:09 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
"There are far less suicides in homes without guns?" think that is a rather blithe assumption that people don't check out via other means. Last I checked, swallowing a whole bottle of pills was a popular method and accounts for a lot of suicides. As is hanging and jumping off of high places. Then there's the old firing up the car in the garage and..well you get the point.

Firearms don't cause people to kill themselves by their mere presence. They are just another method among many.
Firearms are the easiest and quickest way to commit suicide. Do you not understand what the word impulsive means?

Old 11-14-2017, 04:31 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Firearms are the easiest and quickest way to commit suicide. Do you not understand what the word impulsive means?
And again, someone freely choosing to end their life by their own action is worlds apart from someone dying at the hands of another. Apples and oranges. Should we make available assistance to those who are depressed and may consider suicide? Absolutely. Should we force them to accept it? Impossible. Should we seek to disarm all because some may use weapons upon themselves in a way we find distasteful? Never.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:22 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Is it possible some are taking the following a tad too literally?

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Particularly the part about 'defending to the death'.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:

It seems like so many like to compare our country with others when debating firearms. So , you brought up suicide. Again, what does firearms have to do with it ? Look at Japan, their suicide rates are off the charts, and have been a huge issue with their country. Isn't Japan pretty much firearms free ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_Japan

Old 11-14-2017, 09:26 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Have you ever actually read up on suicides? Most women, for vanity or whatever, don't use a gun for suicide. Women usually use pills, slit wrists or hanging. So, how would controlling guns have any impact on them? And my local coroner says that females are most of the suicides.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
My God - how many repetitions of the facts do you need before you change a neuron in your brain?

Car deaths and injuries PER MILE DRIVEN are down 30-40% - BECAUSE OF LAWS and "car control".

States with sane gun laws have 1/4th (more or less) the violence of those without.

Louisiana Photo - These 10 states have high rates of domestic violence and lax gun control laws | Revelist

I guess the tactic here is to not listen to ANY facts, any reason, any statistics, any experiences and keep on repeating the same BS - no matter how little truth it contains.

A 40% drop in motor vehicle deaths and bad injuries is something BIG - that means MILLIONS of families over the decades who have been not affected (or less so)....

A 50% or 80% (LA compared to MA for example) reduction in violence also means more happy humans.

Again, the summary is simple - some people seem to truly believe that tens of thousands of dead people - even school children and women - are worth it as opposed to them taking another hour in application time and following some basic common sense rules.

We could call such folks murderers - but the FBI just calls them "Regions with much more violence" - which includes domestic violence (often leading to gunplay)....

In my world if one want to debate something completely contrary to common sense...they may say it once and then be quiet once they learn the facts. In Right Wing World it appears that people think the more they lie, the more they create the truth.

Okay, you have shown proof that "car control" has helped save lives. Now show that gun control has. Have "gun free" zones worked ? Have background checks worked ? Have "ammo taxes" worked ? Have bans on certain types of firearms worked ? Has registration worked ?

You can't. And that is why firearms owners are not going to budge.
It's interesting you bring up the domestic abuse and lax firearms laws... google what kind of abuse is the highest in the country so many anti gun people like to bring up, Australia. Pretty strict firearms laws there. Now you are probably going to say what does Australia have to do with this... and your right. Now you know how we feel every time some tries to say..."but Australia did it"

Now I and pretty much everyone I know that is a firearms owner has no problem with filling out a form, dealing with the NICS phone call, or having to be licensed to carry concealed. It is probably because we are just used to how Michigan's firearms laws are.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:37 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Okay, you have shown proof that "car control" has helped save lives. Now show that gun control has. Have "gun free" zones worked ? Have background checks worked ? Have "ammo taxes" worked ? Have bans on certain types of firearms worked ? Has registration worked ?

You can't. And that is why firearms owners are not going to budge.
It's interesting you bring up the domestic abuse and lax firearms laws... google what kind of abuse is the highest in the country so many anti gun people like to bring up, Australia. Pretty strict firearms laws there. Now you are probably going to say what does Australia have to do with this... and your right. Now you know how we feel every time some tries to say..."but Australia did it"

Now I and pretty much everyone I know that is a firearms owner has no problem with filling out a form, dealing with the NICS phone call, or having to be licensed to carry concealed. It is probably because we are just used to how Michigan's firearms laws are.
So if gun laws don't work why have any?

Why ban people who have served time for rape or murder from owning guns? Gun regulation doesn't work

Why ban 12 year olds from buying guns, gun control doesn't work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies