Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 10:12 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Only 36% of households in the US own guns as of June 2016. The rate of gun ownership is dropping from a high of 53% in 1994:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a276bcc2e586

I personally have never felt the need to own a gun and kinda feel sorry for people who do, unless they use them for sport only. Most gun deaths in the US are from suicide, more than homicide.
You do realize people lie on purpose to those polls right?
Or are you insinuating that less people own an average of what 20-50 firearms a piece?

I see more and more women buying guns. Logic would dictate if a woman buys a gun, she increases ownership rate. But may answer no on a poll as it is nobodies business what you own, unless you broad cast it...

Old 11-10-2017, 10:13 AM

5,038 posts, read 7,417,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Or are you insinuating that less people own an average of what 20-50 firearms a piece?

I see more and more women buying guns. Logic would dictate if a woman buys a gun, she increases ownership rate. But may answer no on a poll as it is nobodies business what you own, unless you broad cast it...
Why would they lie more now than 15 years ago?

Old 11-10-2017, 10:14 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I am a law abiding gun owner, but would not give up my guns.
You wouldn't have to "give" them up. The first step is universal registration (and don't think for a minute we don't de facto have that now with the 4473. A gun is seized after a crime, law enforcement contacts the manufacturer to see where it was sent for retailing and then the retailer is visited and his records are searched and the purchaser is then visited. If the gun was stolen some states can now charge the person it was stolen from if the theft wasn't reported within a certain time frame).

Once universal registration is achieved then certain firearms are outlawed. You keep them and you're an instant felon (see recent laws in CT, NY and CA) with the guns subject to seizure.

Also, anyone that thinks that law enforcement won't go along with it needs to reexamine their ideas. I know enough cops to know if they're given an assignment to seize guns every single one of them will get wood.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:15 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
since we clearly have folks here who don't read but say things that are just not factual lets put in perspective just how close we are to the day the second amendment becomes a curious artifact of history.

The following is an excerpt from Justice Stevens dissent in the District of Columbia vs. Heller case.
Justice Stevens spens 46 pages explaining that the second amendment extends NO rights to individuals at all. Rather the amendment extends a right to the various STATES to maintain a state level militia whose job it is to stand as a bulwark against the potential of a standing army installing a dictatorial regime.

I assume since we either have state level national guards, that satisfies the 2nd amendment, or more simply the federal government cannot prevent such from existing. in any case, Stevens (joined by Bryer, Stevens, and Ginsburg) outlines a clear indication that there is no value left in the 2nd amendment.

It should be noted that had Hillary Clinton become president, this group would have been joined by a liberal judge to form the majority opinion of the court, thus ending the second amendment.
http://www.scotusblog.com/wp-content.../06/07-290.pdf

The Second Amendment was adopted to protect the
right of the people of each of the several States to maintain
a well-regulated militia. It was a response to concerns
raised during the ratification of the Constitution
that the power of Congress to disarm the state militias
and create a national standing army posed an intolerable
threat to the sovereignty of the several States. Neitherthe text of the Amendment nor the arguments advanced
by its proponents evidenced the slightest interest in limiting
any legislature’s authority to regulate private civilian
uses of firearms. Specifically, there is no indication that
the Framers of the Amendment intended to enshrine the
common-law right of self-defense in the Constitution.

Justice Breyer added another 44 pages further laying out arguments that limit the Second amendment.
1 member of the SCOTUS is all that is required to turn the second amendment into a curious artifact of history.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:19 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Only 36% of households in the US own guns as of June 2016. The rate of gun ownership is dropping from a high of 53% in 1994:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a276bcc2e586

I personally have never felt the need to own a gun and kinda feel sorry for people who do, unless they use them for sport only. Most gun deaths in the US are from suicide, more than homicide.
removing guns wont do anything about suicide. Japan has NO guns and their suicide rate is double that o the USA.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:26 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
This applies to both sides. Anti gunners who actually propose this are delusional, as are gun nuts who think this would actually happen.

If for whatever reason the government would attempt this there would be such a backlash that the government would abandon such attempts.

Sooooo, the attempts need to just stop then. The systematic chipping and all. "Saturday night specials" "assault rifles", what have you that "have to go" for some inane reason or another. If "compromise" s settled on, and one type of gun goes, others will soon be on the list. Lets just stop this nonsense already. I agree.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:28 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,523,421 times
Liberals operate from fear, and they’ve got an entire routine about people supposedly shooting family members and not being able to stop criminals, But people who want to take away your rights under the pretense of safety and security are really just laying the groundwork for tyranny.
In the end, the only form of gun control that works is taking aim before pulling the trigger.

Quote James Madison

“Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.”

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:29 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post

I've never answered any of many telephone polls on gun ownership honestly. As you say, it's nobodies business. I don't broadcast ownership in any way. When I leave home with my guns for the range they are cased in a manner that says anything but "guns."

Old 11-10-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Why would they lie more now than 15 years ago?
Same reason us millenials lied to pew polls on the favorability of Donald Trump and his chances becoming president

To be a surprise given the climate.
Shock and awe.

It's quite amusing how much faith one puts into a poll...

Old 11-10-2017, 10:44 AM

Slats kind of has a point.

Liberals confiscation is a wet dream that would be tragic if an attempt at confiscation were to take place.

However truth of it is, liberals know they can't do door to door seizure due to 4th amendment, however, what they push for is to further restrict access to weapons of a certain flavor via legislation, infringing on current and future generations rights to bear arms.

Case in point, NY state Safe Act. Firearm must be registered. Once it's registered with the state, it may never be sold or passed down to another resident of the state. Forfeit weapon to state police or sell out of state. You can keep it you can't sell it.

That is what the goal is. Keep what's currently possessed but place a ban or restriction to prevent more of a certain flavor from current and future generations.

I would troll Cuomo so hard if I had Trump's money, I'd rent a bunch of 747 cargo planes load them with cases of ARs and magazines fly over and parachute them into the state by the crate full. What would Cuomo do then with millions of rifles flooding the state in an air drop? Same with California Massachusetts and Connecticut? Massachusetts made it a felony to be in possession of a bump stock. Well. I'd air drop millions of them here ya go. See what your ban did? Got you trolled hard and an undesirable outcome.

What now? Ban billionaire firearm enthusiasts and air planes from flying over state?! LOL.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies