Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 10:48 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
removing guns wont do anything about suicide. Japan has NO guns and their suicide rate is double that o the USA.
People find a way. They had to install gates on every subway stop in Seoul, where I lived for 5 years, to keep people from jumping in front of the trains. Now, they mostly just jump off buildings.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:52 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
You do realize people lie on purpose to those polls right?
Or are you insinuating that less people own an average of what 20-50 firearms a piece?
If you had the nerve to look facts in the eye, it's an interesting trend, isn't it?

Old 11-10-2017, 10:55 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If you had the nerve to look facts in the eye, it's an interesting trend, isn't it?
Seems I struck a nerve LOL

So are you too under the impression only 25% have 80% of the firearms in existence? Surely you can't be that feeble. Especially when there are plenty of states reporting concealed carry licenses are going up. Pistols are firearms are they not?

You are another one who puts faith in polls I see...

Old 11-10-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Liberals operate from fear...
People who carry loaded firearms to Home Depot don't?

Old 11-10-2017, 10:59 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
People on bicycles getting mowed down by home depot assault trucks...
I see Cuomo didn't add assault trucks to the Safe Act. Nor pressure cookers following the Boston Marathon bombing...
Proof positive liberals are compelled by fear only pertaining to firearms...

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Do people who wear seatbelts do so out of fear? People who have fire extinguishers? Smoke alarms? First aid kids? Being prepared is not the same thing as being afraid.

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Sure it could happen, but the only people who would go along with it, other than law enforcement agencies, would be those gun owners who already are law abiding.

Just like happened in the UK and Australia.
I opine "that" flies in the face of all evidence to the contrary. Even they would turn.

U.K. and Australia were, to my knowledge, not indoctrinated with a couple of hundred years of their freedoms expressed by the presence of something like a 2nd amendment expressly mentioning firearms, but rather through pieces of more ancient articles of legislation stipulating the rights of citizens such as those mentioned in the 1200's Magna Carta and 1600's Bill of Rights.

Americans of all stripes would view what they deem an abrogation of the "shall not be infringed" part, which has been variously interpreted to mean anything and everything up to nuclear weapons, being unrestricted for the ownership by individuals.

Even law abiding Americans would in great number resist any attempts to claw back those rights already exercised in the form of having purchased something now being called erroneously "assault weapons" such as the AR variant. Should that legislation have the magical capability to pass the house, the hue and cries for tar and feathering of both houses would be heard round the world.

There would indeed be gunfire by previously deemed "law abiding citizens" if LEO's started arriving at the homes of registered AR owners demanding they hand them over.

The U.S. is riding this train all the way to the end of the line whether they want to or not.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:01 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Only 36% of households in the US own guns as of June 2016. The rate of gun ownership is dropping from a high of 53% in 1994:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a276bcc2e586

I personally have never felt the need to own a gun and kinda feel sorry for people who do, unless they use them for sport only. Most gun deaths in the US are from suicide, more than homicide.
I would caution you that the perception of safety and actual reality can vary.

My friend never thought they'd have to shoot a career felon attempting to rape\rob\possibly murder them in their rural home one night but it turns out their precaution saved their lives.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Seems I struck a nerve LOL
Nah, keep ignoring what doesn't suit your worldview.

Quote:
So are you too under the impression only 25% have 80% of the firearms in existence?
Trend. Do some underreport? I'm sure they do. (Not out of fear, though. Only liberals run on fear.)

Quote:
Especially when there are plenty of states reporting concealed carry licenses are going up.
Certainly not having to do with fear, either.

For 8 years, the price of firearms and ammo went straight up on the NRA feeding the fear that the scary black guy would be coming for your guns, and for 8 years, firearms enthusiasts gave in to that fear.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Even law abiding Americans would in great number resist any attempts to claw back those rights already exercised in the form of having purchased something now being called erroneously "assault weapons" such as the AR variant. Should that legislation have the magical capability to pass the house, the hue and cries for tar and feathering of both houses would be heard round the world.
It's stupid to go after the ARs anyway, they're the weapon of choice for mass shootings, but that's not where the death numbers are.

Americans kill each other with handguns over dumb arguments that would be settled with a screaming match or a half-hearted fistfight in most other countries. American criminals use handguns because concealability (sp?) is a useful feature in criminal undertakings. American law enforcement kill American citizens in very high numbers because, among other things, there's a high risk of a handgun being part of a law enforcement scenario.

The militia roleplayers love their ARs and peace be upon that, their silliness really is very low on the list of things to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies