Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 11:26 AM

18,720 posts, read 7,601,368 times

Advertisements

Guns are so ingrained in our culture, anyone who thinks the 2nd will be overturned or guns confiscated is a fool

I agree. Unfortunately, many of these fools are legislators with the power to enact their foolishness into law.

And worse, an established record of doing exactly that.

"Banning guns is an idea whose time has come." - then-Senator Joseph Biden; quoted by AP, 1993-11-18

"Yes, I'm denying you your rights." - Tom Bradley (Los Angeles Mayor), on constitutional rights at a "Save the Brady Bill" rally; from article by Steve Comus, Western Outdoor News, 1992-09-04

"We must be able to arrest people before they commit crimes. By registering guns and knowing who has them we can do that .... If they have guns they are pretty likely to commit a crime." - Mary Ann Carlson (Vermont state Senator)

"We need much stricter gun control, and eventually we should bar the ownership of handguns except in a few cases." - William L. Clay (US Representative, D-MO, St. Louis); "NRA-Backed Measure May Derail Brady Bill", by Robert L. Koenig, St. Louis Post Dispatch, p. 1A, 1993-05-08

"And we should - then every community in the country could then start doing major weapon sweeps and then destroying the weapons, not selling them." - Bill Clinton (US President)

"If it was up to me, no one but law enforcement officers would own handguns ...." - Richard Daley (Chicago Mayor); Federal gun legislation press conference in Washington, D.C., 1998-11-13

"You know I don't believe in people owning guns, only the police and military. And I'm going to do everything I can to disarm this state." - Michael Dukakis (Massachusetts Governor); in conversation with Mike Yacino (Massachusetts Gun Owners' Action League) and Roy Innis (Congress of Racial Equality), 1986-06-16

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them ... 'Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in,' I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here." - Dianne Feinstein (US Senator, D-CA); 60 Minutes, 1995-02-05

"Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State". - Heinrich Himmler

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms." - Adolf Hitler; Edict of March 18, 1938.

"Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal. - Janet Reno (US Attorney General), 1993-12-10

Old 11-10-2017, 11:29 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Guns are so ingrained in our culture, anyone who thinks the 2nd will be overturned or guns confiscated is a fool

I agree. Unfortunately, many of these fools are legislators with the power to enact their foolishness into law.

And worse, an established record of doing exactly that.

"Banning guns is an idea whose time has come." - then-Senator Joseph Biden; quoted by AP, 1993-11-18

"Yes, I'm denying you your rights." - Tom Bradley (Los Angeles Mayor), on constitutional rights at a "Save the Brady Bill" rally; from article by Steve Comus, Western Outdoor News, 1992-09-04

"We must be able to arrest people before they commit crimes. By registering guns and knowing who has them we can do that .... If they have guns they are pretty likely to commit a crime." - Mary Ann Carlson (Vermont state Senator)

"We need much stricter gun control, and eventually we should bar the ownership of handguns except in a few cases." - William L. Clay (US Representative, D-MO, St. Louis); "NRA-Backed Measure May Derail Brady Bill", by Robert L. Koenig, St. Louis Post Dispatch, p. 1A, 1993-05-08

"And we should - then every community in the country could then start doing major weapon sweeps and then destroying the weapons, not selling them." - Bill Clinton (US President)

"If it was up to me, no one but law enforcement officers would own handguns ...." - Richard Daley (Chicago Mayor); Federal gun legislation press conference in Washington, D.C., 1998-11-13

"You know I don't believe in people owning guns, only the police and military. And I'm going to do everything I can to disarm this state." - Michael Dukakis (Massachusetts Governor); in conversation with Mike Yacino (Massachusetts Gun Owners' Action League) and Roy Innis (Congress of Racial Equality), 1986-06-16

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them ... 'Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in,' I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here." - Dianne Feinstein (US Senator, D-CA); 60 Minutes, 1995-02-05

"Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State". - Heinrich Himmler

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms." - Adolf Hitler; Edict of March 18, 1938.

"Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal. - Janet Reno (US Attorney General), 1993-12-10
A saddening collection of statements.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:32 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,240,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
This applies to both sides. Anti gunners who actually propose this are delusional, as are gun nuts who think this would actually happen.

If for whatever reason the government would attempt this there would be such a backlash that the government would abandon such attempts.
Slavery was once completely ingrained into our culture as well and we got rid of that. Segregation was once ingrained into our culture and we got rid of that. Both resulted in a massive backlash and both were worth the suffering in the long run. Not doing what is right by the people due to fear of a backlash is nothing more then cowardice.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:35 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Only 36% of households in the US own guns as of June 2016. The rate of gun ownership is dropping from a high of 53% in 1994:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a276bcc2e586

I personally have never felt the need to own a gun and kinda feel sorry for people who do, unless they use them for sport only. Most gun deaths in the US are from suicide, more than homicide.
Depends on polls and surveys. Some still have the figure as high as 49%.

But 36% certainly is not a percentage to sneeze at. For instance, African-Americans are less than half that, and you can't pass a law against African-Americans.

There will not be a law passed that suddenly makes 36% of Americans criminals. Nor is America going to live with the Draconian police measure it would take to confiscate all the guns in the country. That would take the War on Drugs to an exponential level, particularly since pretty serviceable guns are much easier to manufacture in a basement workshop than mixing meth or growing marijuana.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:36 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,495,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Thats strange, I've owned many trucks that I operated only on private property, and I didn't need any of that to own or use them.
They're gone. It's going to be interesting seeing them refute this one.
The belief that polls are infallible.

Using the myth/lie of the NRA selling guns. (I've yet to see an AR15 or bolt action or pump or lever action or pistol NRA branded)

And if they want to be that intellectually dishonest and contribute the NRA no Obama was responsible for gun and ammo sales, does he believe that Trump and the NRA is responsible for women, minorities, gays, buying firearms too?

Funny thing those things called rights. They're there for everyone. Their ignorance is only middle aged, white guys, are NRA members buying guns...

Once again, letting their closeted racism stay. Because blacks, latinos, gays, and women don't find firearms to be a hooby...
Only white guys... with NRA stickers on their trucks...

Rriiigghttt....

Old 11-10-2017, 11:40 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Slavery was once completely ingrained into our culture as well and we got rid of that.

Not really. From the very beginning, Abolitionists such as Roger Williams preached slavery as a sin, and the majority of white people in the US always viewed it as sin.

It's erroneous to say "completely ingrained into our culture." That was never true. The percentage of whites owning slaves was less than the percentage of persons today owning horses.

Quote:
Segregation was once ingrained into our culture and we got rid of that. Both resulted in a massive backlash and both were worth the suffering in the long run. Not doing what is right by the people due to fear of a backlash is nothing more then cowardice.

In both cases, you're talking about continued injustice against human beings. Putting someone in chains, beating, raping, murdering--sorry, that's not the same moral act as having a gun merely sitting in a nightstand.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:47 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,376,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You just did!
no I didn't. LOL

Old 11-10-2017, 11:51 AM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Thats strange, I've owned many trucks that I operated only on private property, and I didn't need any of that to own or use them.
A valid point. No need to go overboard. Go nuts on your own property and let those who enter assume the inherent risks. See? - compromise!

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 11-10-2017 at 12:05 PM..

Old 11-10-2017, 12:02 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,633,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
This applies to both sides. Anti gunners who actually propose this are delusional, as are gun nuts who think this would actually happen.

If for whatever reason the government would attempt this there would be such a backlash that the government would abandon such attempts.
what seems impossible today may look inevitable some years from now. there is little point me expanding on this because "today" most people think this is fixed in stone.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:20 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
I lost all my guns in a canoeing accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies