Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 12:28 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It's stupid to go after the ARs anyway, they're the weapon of choice for mass shootings, but that's not where the death numbers are.

Americans kill each other with handguns over dumb arguments that would be settled with a screaming match or a half-hearted fistfight in most other countries. American criminals use handguns because concealability (sp?) is a useful feature in criminal undertakings. American law enforcement kill American citizens in very high numbers because, among other things, there's a high risk of a handgun being part of a law enforcement scenario.

The militia roleplayers love their ARs and peace be upon that, their silliness really is very low on the list of things to worry about.
This. Years ago when I lived in Sacramento I was in bar and fight broke out when one guy stepped on another guys shoes. Things got ugly and continued to escalate until punches were eventually thrown. The bouncers got involved and tossed both men out along with their buddies. Once outside, one the friends of the two men went to their car grabbed their gun and walked up and open fired on the other group. One man was killed, two others wounded.

This would not have happened in Europe, Australia, Japan or any other first world nation. The last thing people need when they are in a rage and have lost control of their emotions is access to guns. In a country like Denmark the worst that could have happened was somebody might have got punched or kicked. While not an optimal result, its still far better then being shot dead.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:31 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I lost all my guns in a canoeing accident.
I thought my two would be taken away by Obama during his eight years in office. I guess I dogged the bullet on that one!

Old 11-10-2017, 12:55 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It's stupid to go after the ARs anyway, they're the weapon of choice for mass shootings, but that's not where the death numbers are.

Americans kill each other with handguns over dumb arguments that would be settled with a screaming match or a half-hearted fistfight in most other countries. American criminals use handguns because concealability (sp?) is a useful feature in criminal undertakings. American law enforcement kill American citizens in very high numbers because, among other things, there's a high risk of a handgun being part of a law enforcement scenario.

The militia roleplayers love their ARs and peace be upon that, their silliness really is very low on the list of things to worry about.
Law enforcement kills americans in high numbers???

Is it a liberals nature to lie?

Old 11-10-2017, 12:57 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Slavery was once completely ingrained into our culture as well and we got rid of that. Segregation was once ingrained into our culture and we got rid of that. Both resulted in a massive backlash and both were worth the suffering in the long run. Not doing what is right by the people due to fear of a backlash is nothing more then cowardice.
People are willing to die to free people

People are willing to die to give equal rights to Black people

Are people willing to die to ban guns? Hmmm, doubt you'll find many

Old 11-10-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Not really. From the very beginning, Abolitionists such as Roger Williams preached slavery as a sin, and the majority of white people in the US always viewed it as sin.

It's erroneous to say "completely ingrained into our culture." That was never true. The percentage of whites owning slaves was less than the percentage of persons today owning horses.
So you deny that slavery was not a part of southern life in the period before the Civil War? Not only was it a huge part of southern culture it was the main component of their entire economy. The effects of ending slavery was a far more massive change then installing hard gun control could ever be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
In both cases, you're talking about continued injustice against human beings. Putting someone in chains, beating, raping, murdering--sorry, that's not the same moral act as having a gun merely sitting in a nightstand.
Except a great number of guns are not just sitting on nightstands they are in the hands of gangbangers, political and religious fanatics and socially deranged nutjobs.

Going back to 2001, if you combine all deaths from 9/11, the Iraq War, the War in Afghanistan and all Islamic terrorism committed on US soil and all American deaths abroad from terrorism.

Total deaths: 9,894 (roughly)

Going back to 2001, if you were going to combine all firearm related homicides for each year based on the yearly average of 8,500 a year. Keep in mind this does not include accidents or suicides. Then the total number of people that have been shot and killed on US soil since 2001 is:

Total deaths: 136,000

This is more people dead then if you combine all war deaths from all the wars we fought since the end of WWII. We spend billions upon billions on defense and surveillance to stop terrorist attacks when our own gun problem kills more people by a factor of 45 to 1!!!!!. Sorry but this is a very very very serious issue that we are simply not coming to terms with.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
People are willing to die to free people

People are willing to die to give equal rights to Black people

Are people willing to die to ban guns? Hmmm, doubt you'll find many
Are you willing to die to keep an inanimate object made of wood, metal and plastic? I hope not.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:11 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
So you deny that slavery was not a part of southern life in the period before the Civil War? Not only was it a huge part of southern culture it was the main component of their entire economy. The effects of ending slavery was a far more massive change then installing hard gun control could ever be.

Except a great number of guns are not just sitting on nightstands they are in the hands of gangbangers, political and religious fanatics and socially deranged nutjobs.

Going back to 2001, if you combine all deaths from 9/11, the Iraq War, the War in Afghanistan and all Islamic terrorism committed on US soil and all American deaths abroad from terrorism.

Total deaths: 9,894 (roughly)

Going back to 2001, if you were going to combine all firearm related homicides for each year based on the yearly average of 8,500 a year. Keep in mind this does not include accidents or suicides. Then the total number of people that have been shot and killed on US soil since 2001 is:

Total deaths: 136,000

This is more people dead then if you combine all war deaths from all the wars we fought since the end of WWII. We spend billions upon billions on defense and surveillance to stop terrorist attacks when our own gun problem kills more people by a factor of 45 to 1!!!!!. Sorry but this is a very very very serious issue that we are simply not coming to terms with.
Oh stop your nonsense.

Car accidents average 33k per year since 01 I don't see you grandstanding the banning of assault vehicles.

Do the math of 33k per year since 01 to 17

8500 x 16=136,000
33,000 x 16= 528,000

I'd say your priorities are emotional leftist drivel.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Are you willing to die to keep an inanimate object made of wood, metal and plastic? I hope not.
I'm not willing to die to ban them or keep them.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Oh stop your nonsense.

Car accidents average 33k per year since 01 I don't see you grandstanding the banning of assault vehicles.

Do the math of 33k per year since 01 to 17

8500 x 16=133,000
33,000 x 16= 528,000
Considering how many and how often cars are used, it's not a high number.

If "assault weapons/rifles" (call em whatever you want) were used as often as cars where, you'd see much more than 33K deaths a year, that is for sure

Old 11-10-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Law enforcement kills americans in high numbers???

Is it a liberals nature to lie?
People shot and killed by the police last year in:

UK: 4

Germany: 10

United States: 957

I'm 100% pro police but our cops are forced to be trigger happy since every single person they encounter has a high probability of being armed. Hence they need to be on high alert all the time, which is extremely stressful and leads to a better chance for mental issues down the road. They also have far more encounters with armed people then any other police force in any other first world nation. They also get killed in the line of duty far more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies