Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 04:32 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I’m fixing to move to rural Texas, which is the only place I’ve ever heard someone say they were “fixing to” do something.
Sounds like you need to get out of upstate NY more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 06:36 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,700,609 times
I've been watching this train wreck coming since 1992. Looks like it is pretty close now. Hats off to the OP for raising the issue. He's right; Lebanon looks like it is about to host the first round of the next Sunni-Shia boxing match.

Funny how history can turn on tiny decisions made decades ago. Twice the Shah of Iran was offered the opportunity to 'dispose' of Ayatolla Khomeini. Twice he refused, only to have Khomeini's followers oust the Shah. Khomeini returned to Tehran in February 1979 and immediately went about decimating the Iraninan government. Conservatively, they killed 35,000, many by firing squad on the very roof of the girls' school Khomeini commandeered as his home and office. Iran, by way of Hezbollah, has been the world's biggest exporter of terrorism ever since.

By 1983, Hezbollah actually existed, but its official name wasn't released until 1985. In 1983, its suicide bombers blew up the Marine Corps barracks on a Sunday morning in Beirut. Then the French barracks six minutes later. 241 and 58 dead, respectively. By 1985, Hezbollah gave up suicide bombings in Lebanon for a much more lucrative terror tactic: kidnapping. Up to and including the CIA Station Chief in Beirut, and that poor guy died after months of torture - and pneumonia. (Other groups continued the suicide bombing gig, but none with the success Hezbollah enjoyed. In fact, Hezbollah taught the others, including al-Qaeda, how to do them.)

Hezbollah went on to become a Lebanese political party - but it was always, and still remains, a wholly owned subsidiary of Iran. It launched two wars against Israel from Lebanese soil, propped up Syria's dictator and killed hundreds of US troops in Iraq with its EFPs. All were acts perpetrated by Iran in furtherance of its own foreign policy, carried out by its covert arm, Hezbollah.

That's the Readers Digest version. For a more complete accounting, read Chapter 2 of my forthcoming book.

What Iran has managed to do now is geopolitically surround Saudi Arabia. Get out a map and look at where Lebanon, Syria, southern Iraq, Iran and Yemen are vis a vis Saudi Arabia. Hezbollah has wormed its way into the Lebanese government, is propping up the Syrian government, has militias defending the Shia dominated Iraqi government, and is the Houthi rebels' primary source of support in Yemen. Sunni Saudi Arabia is effectively surrounded from the northwest to the southeast. A newly installed, 32 year-old crown prince is all it takes to call a spade a spade and decide to reenact Karbala all over again. After all, the Sunnis prevailed in October 680 AD. Youthful vigor unbridled by too many of life's experience is exactly why you don't let a kid in his early thirties run a major country. (Memo to North Korea...)

On the other hand, Iran's 'Islamic Revolution' is not at all about Islam, it is about Shia dominance of the region under Iran's leadership. Always has been. Even though Shi'ites make up a mere 6% of the House of Islam, Iran's 'Islamic Revolution' sure is about to stir up one really dangerous s***storm for the region.

Think also about all the rockets (50,000, last time I was there) Hezbollah has in Lebanon pointing at Israel. The history of the Middle East is replete with instances of diversion and distraction. Saudi pressures Hezbollah in Lebanon, which in turn launches yet a third war against Israel as a diversion. Iran then paints the House of Saud as being on the same side as Israel, which will upset many on the Arab street. I've heard rumblings about Israel becoming more concerned about Hezbollah of late. Maybe their intel - and their intel is usually first rate - read these tea leaves before we did.

On the domestic front, what's the price of oil these days...?

Yup, I think we live in interesting times. Glad I don't live there anymore.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:25 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
I've been watching this train wreck coming since 1992. Looks like it is pretty close now. Hats off to the OP for raising the issue. He's right; Lebanon looks like it is about to host the first round of the next Sunni-Shia boxing match.

Funny how history can turn on tiny decisions made decades ago. Twice the Shah of Iran was offered the opportunity to 'dispose' of Ayatolla Khomeini. Twice he refused, only to have Khomeini's followers oust the Shah. Khomeini returned to Tehran in February 1979 and immediately went about decimating the Iraninan government. Conservatively, they killed 35,000, many by firing squad on the very roof of the girls' school Khomeini commandeered as his home and office. Iran, by way of Hezbollah, has been the world's biggest exporter of terrorism ever since.

By 1983, Hezbollah actually existed, but its official name wasn't released until 1985. In 1983, its suicide bombers blew up the Marine Corps barracks on a Sunday morning in Beirut. Then the French barracks six minutes later. 241 and 58 dead, respectively. By 1985, Hezbollah gave up suicide bombings in Lebanon for a much more lucrative terror tactic: kidnapping. Up to and including the CIA Station Chief in Beirut, and that poor guy died after months of torture - and pneumonia. (Other groups continued the suicide bombing gig, but none with the success Hezbollah enjoyed. In fact, Hezbollah taught the others, including al-Qaeda, how to do them.)

Hezbollah went on to become a Lebanese political party - but it was always, and still remains, a wholly owned subsidiary of Iran. It launched two wars against Israel from Lebanese soil, propped up Syria's dictator and killed hundreds of US troops in Iraq with its EFPs. All were acts perpetrated by Iran in furtherance of its own foreign policy, carried out by its covert arm, Hezbollah.

That's the Readers Digest version. For a more complete accounting, read Chapter 2 of my forthcoming book.

What Iran has managed to do now is geopolitically surround Saudi Arabia. Get out a map and look at where Lebanon, Syria, southern Iraq, Iran and Yemen are vis a vis Saudi Arabia. Hezbollah has wormed its way into the Lebanese government, is propping up the Syrian government, has militias defending the Shia dominated Iraqi government, and is the Houthi rebels' primary source of support in Yemen. Sunni Saudi Arabia is effectively surrounded from the northwest to the southeast. A newly installed, 32 year-old crown prince is all it takes to call a spade a spade and decide to reenact Karbala all over again. After all, the Sunnis prevailed in October 680 AD. Youthful vigor unbridled by too many of life's experience is exactly why you don't let a kid in his early thirties run a major country. (Memo to North Korea...)

On the other hand, Iran's 'Islamic Revolution' is not at all about Islam, it is about Shia dominance of the region under Iran's leadership. Always has been. Even though Shi'ites make up a mere 6% of the House of Islam, Iran's 'Islamic Revolution' sure is about to stir up one really dangerous s***storm for the region.

Think also about all the rockets (50,000, last time I was there) Hezbollah has in Lebanon pointing at Israel. The history of the Middle East is replete with instances of diversion and distraction. Saudi pressures Hezbollah in Lebanon, which in turn launches yet a third war against Israel as a diversion. Iran then paints the House of Saud as being on the same side as Israel, which will upset many on the Arab street. I've heard rumblings about Israel becoming more concerned about Hezbollah of late. Maybe their intel - and their intel is usually first rate - read these tea leaves before we did.

On the domestic front, what's the price of oil these days...?

Yup, I think we live in interesting times. Glad I don't live there anymore.

I do have my sources.

Yemen is already getting hammered and taken over by US backed forces.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:47 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
You wouldn't want to put any money on Breitbart, would you?
Alex Jones, dude gets most of his news from him.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:47 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Hariri in 1st TV Interview
Hariri in 1st TV Interview since Shock Resignation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies