Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2017, 09:53 AM

4,796 posts, read 2,801,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You know why charter schools work well? Not everyone gets in.

It's a lottery system based on a selective process.
Yah. The jury's still out on charters. They tend to suck up public education funds, but they're exempt from most of the controls & rules & regs that surround public education. From what I've seen, a handful of charters do well, most do average or worse (compared to public schools in their area), & another handful abscond with the money & close down, no forwarding address.

The process issues - discipline, parent input, who the charters respond & are responsible to - are big problems, & they're not going to go away. My feeling is that if charters truly want to be free of all the constraints on public education, they need to self-fund or otherwise not touch public funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 10:37 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Yah. The jury's still out on charters. They tend to suck up public education funds, but they're exempt from most of the controls & rules & regs that surround public education. From what I've seen, a handful of charters do well, most do average or worse (compared to public schools in their area), & another handful abscond with the money & close down, no forwarding address.

The process issues - discipline, parent input, who the charters respond & are responsible to - are big problems, & they're not going to go away. My feeling is that if charters truly want to be free of all the constraints on public education, they need to self-fund or otherwise not touch public funding.
We have a charter school here. It is a public school. There is no selective process. They just hold a lottery every year. They are not exempt from controls, rules and regs that surround public education. Furthermore, they have a bit more criteria to meet in order to maintain their charter school status.

I live in Pennsylvania FWIW

Old 12-01-2017, 10:38 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Again, had you read ANYTHING about KIPP, you'd see that not all of the kids there have "parents who care" which was my whole point in posting about it.

Wow.
In order to even get into a Charter School, parents and students have to do a number of things to qualify to enter the lottery. It's a self-selecting group. Parents that don't care wouldn't bother with this.
Parents who do care, take the time and do whatever they must, and then keep their fingers crossed hoping their child is selected.

You may think the parents at this school don't care, and the article may state as much, but the fact that they even wanted their children to go to a Charter school in the first place, and then took the steps to give them a chance to get in, means they care.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:40 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
In order to even get into a Charter School, parents and students have to do a number of things to qualify to enter the lottery. It's a self-selecting group. Parents that don't care wouldn't bother with this.
Parents who do care, take the time and do whatever they must, and then keep their fingers crossed hoping their child is selected.

You may think the parents at this school don't care, and the article may state as much, but the fact that they even wanted their children to go to a Charter school in the first place, and then took the steps to give them a chance to get in, means they care.
That's absolutely false.

As a matter of fact, I think its against the law for a charter school to be self-selecting. No, you fill out a form and your name goes into a lottery. That's the only "selecting" that is done at charter schools.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:44 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Would it bother wealthy people for poor school districts to get better funding?

Old 12-01-2017, 12:12 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Would it bother wealthy people for poor school districts to get better funding?
They'd be happy if the money weren't going down one or both of two ratholes.

Rathole #1 - Corruption

Rathole #2 - Students who are not pressed by parents to work at school. Some of those students even enjoy attacking other students and teachers.
Examples:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
12 year old boy from Elgin, Illinois (a Chicago suburb) was beaten in school by another classmate when he accidentally bumped into him! Injuries were so bad that he had to be put into a medically induced coma! Truly sickening! My question is, where were these teachers during all of this? The other boy had a history of reckless behavior.

Chicago boy Henry Sembdner wakes from coma, back home after school hallway beating - CBS News
2) 16-year-old Milwaukee student arrested after punching teacher in the head
3) 16 year old high school student boxes his teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Philadelphia student caught on camera in a violent fist-fight with his teacher | Daily Mail Online

This stuff is getting old. And I'm sure the teacher is going to get fired over this. I would have knocked that kid unconscious. I don't know what is wrong with our youth these days. Well I do people with no right to have kids keep having kids
4) Principal brutally beaten after telling teen to remove headphones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This is exactly the reason why many don't want to get involved or won't say anything in these types of situations. Unless you're like 6 foot 6 and 300 pounds of pure muscle, or all tatted up looking like a hardcore gangbanger.

Principal brutally beaten after telling teen to remove headphones | New York Post
5) Black Mob Attacks Non POC Temple Students.
6) 12 yr old Boy beaten in school by classmate` Chicago suburb

Old 12-01-2017, 12:37 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
That's absolutely false.

As a matter of fact, I think its against the law for a charter school to be self-selecting. No, you fill out a form and your name goes into a lottery. That's the only "selecting" that is done at charter schools.
Not to speak for that poster, but in the inner cities of NJ, and even in some of the suburbs, we have many public schools that use a merit based selection process for admission. I think most people here consider them to be charter schools, though they may technically be categorized as something else. Here is an example...

McNair Academic H.S. - Learning Community Charter School

Old 12-01-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
That's absolutely false.

The group of people interested in sending their children to Charter Schools is self-selecting. You misinterpreted what I wrote.

You also ignore what I wrote when I said it's a lottery system based on other requirements. And those requirements will not be met by people who don't care about their child's education or students who don't care about school.

Some requirements might be meeting with parents, grades, an essay written by the student, etc.

Charter Schools use a lottery system but the pool of applicants aren't 'all student's, nor are they the disruptive students found in the public school system. Those students wouldn't have the grades, they wouldn't care enough to write an essay and they probably don't have parents who care enough to take the time to go to a mandatory family meeting along with filling out a lot of paperwork.

My statement stands - there will never be equality in education because not all parents care about education and not all children are raised to respect authority.

You pointing to Charter School does nothing but prove my point. Those parents care about education and so do their children. Otherwise, they wouldn't bother to jump through the hoops to get their kid in those schools and those students wouldn't gain admission without the grades or passing the assessment exam or writing an essay, etc.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
That's absolutely false.

It's not a matter of filling out a form and having your name go into a lottery. Do some reading before spouting your opinion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2712671fbcfb

Old 12-01-2017, 01:35 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
It's not a matter of filling out a form and having your name go into a lottery. Do some reading before spouting your opinion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2712671fbcfb
Absolutely none of the nonsense cited on that link happen in California or Nevada, those requirements are prohibited by state law so the "author" of that article is full of it. Even public schools ask for a commitment of time from parents but there is no enforcement mechanism, and there is none in charter schools either- what do you think they do, expel the kid if mom doesn't show up on her 'volunteer day'?

Try to find a decent source because that one is just made up crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies