Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2017, 06:20 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,189,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Police is the job of the government.

The rest existed long before government existed.

It’s a fundamental moral issue. We may need to agree to disagree. You believe it is acceptable to murder others for their money. I don’t.
Oh dear God. Give me a break.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 06:34 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,480,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Money is not property for starters. And second off, the government BY LAW has a right to the tax money it collects. So the tax cheat is the bad guy even though you see him as some Noble hero

You don't like it, try to get the laws changed or lead a coup to destroy the government. Until then, you are the odd man out
Money is not property???

Old 12-03-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I do like hyperbolic canard. Filed away for each time the loopy libertarians use it.

But in fact when cornered the libertarians agree they will use physical force to protect the liberty of the individual from an aggressor. They actually have no other solution to handling those who violate the rules.
All libertarians agree that the aggressor must be stopped by violence. What’s the problem?

Old 12-03-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Oh dear God. Give me a break.

Wow, you just won the argument!

Old 12-03-2017, 06:45 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,771,086 times
Why not just let kids from bad school districts go to schools in good school districts? Say, the kids from Albany or Rochester go to Bethlehem or Irondequoit? Or why not open other schools in bad school districts that are run by different people?

Old 12-03-2017, 06:51 AM

43 posts, read 23,436 times
um, the local govt makes people pay property taxes and if you don't pay they will come a Ste your house from you

my understanding about property tax is that it is to pay for schools, since it's taxes it should be evenly distributed to public schools. there fore at minimum the "buildings" that houses the students and the books should be the same (fairness)

If the school is private or the school gets additional funding from big ballers in the community then yes I can see why a certain. area might have "amenities" etc

but no reason. tax money should be distributed disproportionately.

this is when you will hear about things like systemic racism

I have never seen "equal* buildings or schoolbooks... the state of Texas has some board of invisible people that decides what is in the school books

that extra money that the "community" may donate generally goes to stuff like gyms/stadiums or special curriculum outside the scope of readin-writin-rithmatic

Old 12-03-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Why not just let kids from bad school districts go to schools in good school districts? Say, the kids from Albany or Rochester go to Bethlehem or Irondequoit? Or why not open other schools in bad school districts that are run by different people?
when they come up with things like school voucher programs and stuff , many folks be against it

The truth is people like segregation and in some cases it makes sense

we all live in different worlds. if you grow up in the ghetto your life and the way you see things is not even fathomable to someone who grown up in the suburbs never needing, not around constant crime, etc. and vice versa

send somebody from the low income side to an affluent school in white ville and they will really be out of there element. noone over in that neck of the woods ever heard of thing called "free lunch" or a "lunch card".

I can go on and on ..

Old 12-03-2017, 07:02 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,731,580 times
Modern conservatism: Oligarchy, a good thing or great thing?

Old 12-03-2017, 07:15 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,771,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mouf View Post
when they come up with things like school voucher programs and stuff , many folks be against it

The truth is people like segregation and in some cases it makes sense

we all live in different worlds. if you grow up in the ghetto your life and the way you see things is not even fathomable to someone who grown up in the suburbs never needing, not around constant crime, etc. and vice versa

send somebody from the low income side to an affluent school in white ville and they will really be out of there element. noone over in that neck of the woods ever heard of thing called "free lunch" or a "lunch card".

I can go on and on ..
They wouldn't have to go. It would be up to them, their parents really. You can't tell me there isn't a kid in Troy who wouldn't like to go to Averill Park.

I'm not talking about segregation. White, black, etc., all kids could choose. Troy, for example, has won the state football title two years in a row. Maybe some kid from Lansingburgh might want to get into that program.

The people who like segregation could keep it. They have free lunches at Averill Park, too.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:00 AM

not what I said

they've had things like "bussing"

and they also had things like "magnet" or "vanguard" programs where people from other areas can go to schools not "zoned" to them

just as they have strategically drawn districts in the political realm, they've always "zoned" kids to certain schools to keep them in place

there is a story of a women that got charged because she was trying to send her child to a better school and she used someone else's address and I think they criminally charged her with theft or some shhhht because she was trying to get her kid a better education
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies