Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2017, 05:13 PM

42,777 posts, read 26,067,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The point is that schools aren’t that important- the parents are. Again, we are talking about graduating from high school.
If the schools are bad, why don’t they home school? Why don’t them school themselves?
Schools are important and you don't learn to teach on youtube. I'm so done with this argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 05:22 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,516,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Schools are important and you don't learn to teach on youtube. I'm so done with this argument.
? You let Youtube teach your children so that they don’t need to go to the bad schools.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:27 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,540,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Trust me, social justice warriors annoy the hell out of a lot of us liberals just as much as conservatives. You really want to support nonsense like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsgc0k594Js

Again, I've been a liberal all my adult life. Democrat voter here. The republican party scares the hell out of me.

That said, just like how the nutcases have taken over the conservative narrative, the nutcases on the left have also taken over the liberal narrative.

Look at it this way. It's obviously not a good thing for poor people to breed like rabbits. It's not fair for the children. It's not fair for the rest of us to have to pump resources into taking care of the kids. It's just a very unfortunate situation. And yet, the very loud liberal nutcases, aka social justice warriors, would **** and moan and yell people like me down whenever one of us dare to break rank and suggest that poor people shouldn't be breeding like rabbits when they can't even feed themselves without public assistance.

Frankly, I'm sick of the political correctness culture that claims to be "liberal". There's nothing liberal about shouting down opinions that are different than your own. Safe spaces? Are we really going to keep tolerating all this nonsense that claim to be progressive but are in fact regressive?

Fact of the matter is the world doesn't owe anyone anything. If you are dirt poor and can't afford to send your kids to better school, the world doesn't owe it to you to send your kids to better school, particularly when you keep breeding out kids you can't afford. It's not liberal or conservative. It's just common sense.
The more I see some of these college weirdos, the more I question how liberal I am. I'm starting to think I'm becoming conservative, just because if they are the definition of "liberal", then I certainly can no longer be liberal.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:27 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,535,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Did you not claim liberal leanings. But you want to kill off all the SJWs? Your right wingedness is showing.

Nothing prevents advising the poor to stop breeding. In fact the right wingers could get with the program by making contraception and abortion free and easily available. Try that on your right wing friends. ,

You're still pretending contraception and abortion would be used if free and easy, and had no answer when I asked why the poor in Chicago and other large cities aren't using it. It's free and easy to get and has been for decades. So what's the excuse now?

Old 11-15-2017, 05:50 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,279,344 times
Quote:
Ever heard of Youtube?

Are you not qualified to tell your children: watch the video and do the homework?
Few are actually qualified. Most of those who I have encountered home schooling have done so for religious reasons. Some of are good at it. Some not so good. The prevalence however is so low as to have no significant impact on education in general.

I would also point out that the qualifications to successfully carry the task out are large. First off you have to be available. Then you need the necessary education and organizational skills. You need to be able to select the protocol you will follow and the you tube channels you will use. And you need to be able to instruct the child when they hit the concept they do not get.

All in all an interesting side channel of no real significance.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:57 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,516,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Few are actually qualified. Most of those who I have encountered home schooling have done so for religious reasons. Some of are good at it. Some not so good. The prevalence however is so low as to have no significant impact on education in general.

I would also point out that the qualifications to successfully carry the task out are large. First off you have to be available. Then you need the necessary education and organizational skills. You need to be able to select the protocol you will follow and the you tube channels you will use. And you need to be able to instruct the child when they hit the concept they do not get.

All in all an interesting side channel of no real significance.
If they aren’t qualified to tell their children to watch the video and do the homework, they don’t qualify to be parents.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:12 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,199,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Trust me, social justice warriors annoy the hell out of a lot of us liberals just as much as conservatives. You really want to support nonsense like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsgc0k594Js

Again, I've been a liberal all my adult life. Democrat voter here. The republican party scares the hell out of me.

That said, just like how the nutcases have taken over the conservative narrative, the nutcases on the left have also taken over the liberal narrative.

Look at it this way. It's obviously not a good thing for poor people to breed like rabbits. It's not fair for the children. It's not fair for the rest of us to have to pump resources into taking care of the kids. It's just a very unfortunate situation. And yet, the very loud liberal nutcases, aka social justice warriors, would **** and moan and yell people like me down whenever one of us dare to break rank and suggest that poor people shouldn't be breeding like rabbits when they can't even feed themselves without public assistance.

Frankly, I'm sick of the political correctness culture that claims to be "liberal". There's nothing liberal about shouting down opinions that are different than your own. Safe spaces? Are we really going to keep tolerating all this nonsense that claim to be progressive but are in fact regressive?

Fact of the matter is the world doesn't owe anyone anything. If you are dirt poor and can't afford to send your kids to better school, the world doesn't owe it to you to send your kids to better school, particularly when you keep breeding out kids you can't afford. It's not liberal or conservative. It's just common sense.
We as a nation need to be very big on education to help our own country. This breeding like rabbits shows a bad attitude towards the poor. Are you considering the poor couple that work their butts off with only 1 child? NO YOU ARE NOT! This couple came from poor schools but work long hours for low pay are devoutly religious and are surrounded by crime and you think their child doesn't deserve a good school. SHAME ON THE WHOLE LOT OF YOU.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:21 PM

6,389 posts, read 4,096,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
We as a nation need to be very big on education to help our own country. This breeding like rabbits shows a bad attitude towards the poor. Are you considering the poor couple that work their butts off with only 1 child? NO YOU ARE NOT! This couple came from poor schools but work long hours for low pay are devoutly religious and are surrounded by crime and you think their child doesn't deserve a good school. SHAME ON THE WHOLE LOT OF YOU.
I agree that we need to be big on education. But again, the school system only takes care of half of what is needed to educate the kids. The other half requires the parents to teach their kids respect authority and value education.

I'm from east Asia. So, permit me to use an idiom from there. Education is like a pair of chopsticks. One chopstick is useless. You need both. You can't hope to have a good education system if you won't even admit that the problem stems from the lack of proper parenting.

I grew up going to one of those gang filled schools. I was constantly bullied by kids who had no interest in education. They were always very disruptive. And yet I managed to learn quite a bit and went to the university of Chicago afterward. So, obviously it can be done. So, stop thinking you can solve everything by throwing money at it.

We need to get to the root cause of the problem, which is people who don't deserve to be parents breed like rabbits.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:23 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,279,344 times
Quote:
If they aren’t qualified to tell their children to watch the video and do the homework, they don’t qualify to be parents.
Nonsense. Which video? When? In what order? And when the little bugger does not understand? Tell the kid to watch the video again until he gets it?

I am in the upper end of the upper 1%. I don't know I have ever come across a concept I could not master but I have needed expert help on occasion. I also have had concepts I could not communicate. Had one where I basically communicated to a very senior logic designer who partially implemented it in hardware which we both were then able to communicate to a strong tech writer who was able to translate it into technical English. That was a version of hard teaching.

Few untrained people will be able to do that.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:25 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,209,767 times
Quote:
Why should anybody work under unworkable conditions like afraid of being stabbed? If the children don’t want to learn - ironic as someone said children are naturally willing to learn, why should the teachers do more while being paid the same?
Many people work in difficult conditions: prison guards, underwater welders, oil rig roustabouts, missionaries, not to mention military personnel, etc. If you don't want to teach kids in the inner city, you shouldn't work there. But if you do work there, you should actually do the work for which you are being paid. I don't expect anyone to go above and beyond the call of duty. That is a personal choice that I have made. Just because I do home visits doesn't mean that everyone should.

I will say that I was alarmed when I saw the news about raiding the bedroom of a student whose home I had visited. He had a cache of weapons that he and his partners in crime used in their carjacking spree. I don't know if his mother was aware. She seemed to have too much to handle as it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies