Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2017, 11:53 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If that is true, we should pass compulsory sterilization right now.

Just imagine how many children’s lives we could have saved.

Except that is not true. Poverty is not the reason for committing crimes, especially in a country where poverty doesn’t even exist. Virtually nobody is poor in America if we use the world standard. People choose to stay that way or don’t know a better way.
IDK who started the crap about crime being a by product of poverty. As I have said before, during the depression many did not have work or a pot --- or anything else. Numerous men knocked on granny's door looking to trade work for a meal. She never once was afraid while they weeded the garden or sat at her kitchen table.. And nobody locked their doors.

Telling people their criminal instincts are the result of being poor gives them an excuse to be a criminal.

I would favor going back to the olden days and just supporting one to two kids. I have no problem with voluntary sterilization. The dr. who delivered me sterilized my mom without her permission. Mom was told later her labor was so hard, it was the prudent thing to do.

My daughter taught in a couple low income schools. Many of the high school girls wanted a baby so they would have "somebody who loved them". Some were so out of touch with realty they thought they could be doctors.
Bet with a good set up, they could have been..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 11:56 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Exactly! And if we don't ensure that they are exposed to the fact that THERE IS ANOTHER WAY, if we don't strive to ensure that all children will grow up WANTING a better way, then we will ensure that there is yet another generation that does not know that THERE IS ANOTHER WAY!

If I am able to get a gang member to try to finish high school, I can help that person's family to try another way. If I am able to convince a young woman to take charge of her fertility, I will be able to help her and her planned offspring to have a better life. If I am able to convince a struggling student that it is better to go to a community college and train for a job at the hospital rather than working in the laundry there, then I have the prospect of helping another family. When you multiply these small changes over a decades-long career, then progress can be made, even while other families falter and fail. No one is counting the young people who get off public aid, but they exist because I know them.

Clearly if you escaped a life of playing in the dirt outside your mud hut, you value education for yourself. Why are you so opposed to every American citizen receiving a quality public education, poor or not?
You are talking about reaching out and spending the effort to help others. This is something that we cannot force people to do. It ought to be strictly voluntary.

I have a couple homeless young guys sleeping on my couches right now. I just helped one find a full time job and loaned him some money to buy a car to get to work. Everyone around me tells me I'm crazy for even taking anyone in, let alone loaning them money to help get their lives back together. But I'm doing it because I genuinely believe I can make a difference in their lives. It's also a personal decision that I don't expect anyone else to do

Are you seriously going to start forcing people to be charitable? Do you really want to go down this path?

The world does not owe you or anyone else anything. Stop thinking like you or anyone else is entitled to anything.

The fact remains that there are people out there who know nothing but live in poverty, stay in poverty, and breed like rabbits kids who are destined to repeat the cycle of poverty. I know it's the politically correct thing for me to say those kids are a gift from god. But does anyone honestly believe that?

It aches my heart to see so many kids being born into a world with next to zero chance of breaking the cycle of poverty. And it's people like you who keep encouraging them to keep breeding out kids they can't afford. Stop it!

Old 11-25-2017, 12:00 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
You are talking about reaching out and spending the effort to help others. This is something that we cannot force people to do. It ought to be strictly voluntary.

I have a couple homeless young guys sleeping on my couches right now. I just helped one find a full time job and loaned him some money to buy a car to get to work. Everyone around me tells me I'm crazy for even taking anyone in, let alone loaning them money to help get their lives back together. But I'm doing it because I genuinely believe I can make a difference in their lives. It's also a personal decision that I don't expect anyone else to do

Are you seriously going to start forcing people to be charitable? Do you really want to go down this path?

The world does not owe you or anyone else anything. Stop thinking like you or anyone else is entitled to anything.

The fact remains that there are people out there who know nothing but live in poverty, stay in poverty, and breed like rabbits kids who are destined to repeat the cycle of poverty. I know it's the politically correct thing for me to say those kids are a gift from god. But does anyone honestly believe that?

It aches my heart to see so many kids being born into a world with next to zero chance of breaking the cycle of poverty. And it's people like you who keep encouraging them to keep breeding out kids they can't afford. Stop it!
Why not? The government can compel you to murder your own children, it can’t compel you to reach out to a gangster?

Most people arguing against us have no problem with murdering a few million people to “force them to be charitable.” None at all.

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
I prefer to spend money on education, also. The question is will the money be well spent or not, especially on kids that don't value education?

You guys keep making it out like throwing money at the poor will somehow make their lives better.

No, I'm not a rightwing nutjob. I will happily pay up to 50% of my salary in taxes if I think it will work to lift people out of poverty. But again, throwing money at the problem doesn't solve anything. Remember those signs that say don't feed the bears? There's a reason why we don't just feed the bears.
You've used the expression "throwing money" several times. Can you please clarify what you mean by that? Can you sort out what is a useful purpose for money as opposed to what is useless? I can tell that you are giving the topic a lot of thought, which clearly separates you from the rightwing nutjobs who just mindlessly parrot the same catchphrases.

One of my favorite targets in the school funding fiasco is the surplus of top-level administrators, consultants, and hangers-on who seem to want to slake their thirst for public school dollars at the well of the taxpayers' pockets. Another are the profit-motivated privatizers who want to divert "their students' share" of the well to their private fountains, diminishing the infrastructure from which they want to drink. I would love to cut out all the money going to these drains and repair the buildings and infrastructure for the students enrolled in the public schools.

It would also be nice to be able to offer salaries that would attract as teachers people who want a solidly middle class lifestyle rather than the lower middle class salary that is less than the taxes a better-paid person pays. There are many people who would love to teach, but who want to earn enough money to be comfortable in their career and their retirement. Many states have dismantled retirement plans for teachers, so that is another factor keeping good people out of the classroom.

What are the targets that you see as having money uselessly thrown at them?

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:

Oh yea all those damn entitled homeless people they should just buy houses they make our great country look bad.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Oh yea all those damn entitled homeless people they should just buy houses they make our great country look bad.
How much would you personally pay for them? Please give a dollar amount or percentage of your income.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:07 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How much would you personally pay for them? Please give a dollar amount or percentage of your income.
All foreclosed on houses should be given to homeless free of charge.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I was asking you, not the bank.

How much would you personally personally personally personally pay?

Old 11-25-2017, 12:13 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:

You haven't been there when I'm telling the students the best way they can ensure that they and their children will not live in poverty is to 1)finish high school, 2) get a good job, and 3) get married BEFORE having their first child. I get mostly blank looks, but a few listen, and then they hear that message all year long, along with "you are responsible for yourself and any children you bring into this world". So I'm not the one who is neglecting to tell the the truth.

I for one don't think you're crazy for trying to help the guys out at your place. Just be careful, because it is easy to get burned. (I know you don't need me to say this, but I'm a teacher and I can't help myself.) It is admirable that you are trying, just as it is admirable for me to spend my life trying to create taxpayers. That was the mission of the principal who brought me to the inner city, the one who told me about the different gardens that a teacher may find himself tending over his career. He told me kindly that I had what it takes to tend the garden where there were too many stones and not enough resources for strong and healthy growth. I thought of him earlier when you were talking about the gardens upthread. I also thought of him when Informed Consent confirmed that he thought that culling people was the way to go. In a civilized society, we may be able to get by with some sterilization by sleight of hand, but culling actual people is even out of fashion in China these days.

Unfortunately, the courts have apparently ruled against offering incentives for sterilization or forced contraception, and some states (like mine) make it illegal to discuss contraception in schools. That is a ridiculous policy that makes me question the motives of those who would essentially ensure that there is another generation of babies born into welfare families.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
This is absolutely crazy and ridiculous. Why? The bank did no wrong. It was the owner of the house refuses to pay back the money he borrowed from the bank.

If someone borrow your car and he refuses to return, we should give the car to the car less people????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies