Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2017, 10:17 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
No, it's reality.

Allow there to be a means of reliable birth control and abortion, or deal with the influx of poor families.

Choose one. There is no magic "make everyone perfectly abstinent until married to the perfect partner" wand that can be waved.
There are plenty of means of reliable birth control.

The actual reliability OF is up to the user.

Mirena "fell out", but had unprotected sex?

Forgot to get the Depo shot, but had unprotected sex?

Condom broke, but didn't stop/break out a new one?

Forgot to take the pill for a few days, but had unprotected sex?

If you are too stupid to figure out how NOT to get pregnant in the past few decades, your spawn has zero hope & please abort it ASAP.

No need for more stupid in this world.

Last edited by Informed Info; 11-26-2017 at 10:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 10:19 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The only way you can address it is to ensure access to contraceptives and abortion and offer girls other opportunities; decent jobs, trade school, college. If a girl can envision a future for herself that will allow her to escape poverty she is more likely to make good reproductive choices. I'm not sure what else you can do, you can't force people to get married, or punish them because they don't..
No, I don't want to force people to get married. I also don't want them to breed like rabbits either.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:23 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
You're right that it's a big country and isn't the same everywhere. Where I've lived teacher salaries are generally lower than comparable non-STEM professions but the total compensation is higher. As a result (in conjunction with the intrinsic appeal of the work), getting a position in all but the worst districts is tremendously competitive: you get in either via nepotism/connections or via putting in years in the worst schools and then getting lucky. An excess of qualified people are already duking it out over the positions. Of course, that might be very different in parts of the country where the total compensation is far lower than equivalent work excluding high-school level STEM (I don't know of any, but since salaries and benefits are locally set and it's a big country this probably exists). The difficulty in attracting any qualified professionals in any field to the Mississippi Delta (where you'd never want to live if you weren't born there, and many people born there want out) is its own unique issue that goes beyond teaching.

The entire point of privatization is you allow experimentation and expand what works and shut down what fails. There are models which have shown an ability to generate superior results, but yeah there have also been failures too. It's accepting some short term disruption for long term improvement.

Combat pay/teacher salaries (for inner-city public schools) in my state start right around where some, in other states, end up after decades of teaching.

COL, I guess.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:27 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
School choice will even this out - at least in theory. The way it is now, people shop for homes by comparing school districts. With school choice, they will shop for schools irrespective of where they live. But don't expect your chosen school to come get your kids.
School choice? What do you mean the DeVos version of school choice, allowing for profit charters to pop up wherever they want with no oversight? Or do you mean vouchers? But seriously, no one who can do otherwise will buy in a poor neighborhood, school choice or no school choice. Think about it? Oh let's buy this house, sure the schools are really crappy but there's a shiny new charter school here so we will send Junior there! Then the charter closes and their kids are put in the worst school in town.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
The vast majority of poor people do not behave like this.
Yes, the vast majority of poor people actually act like that. It's called learned helplessness. They are so comfortable being helpless that they will do stupid things to sabotage whatever opportunity that comes up.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Yes, the vast majority of poor people actually act like that. It's called learned helplessness. They are so comfortable being helpless that they will do stupid things to sabotage whatever opportunity that comes up.
You are mistaken about that.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
No, I don't want to force people to get married. I also don't want them to breed like rabbits either.
Well why don't you go shout it from the rooftops? I'm sure that once you do no unmarried women will ever have another baby. I offered suggestions and you don't even respond, you just repeat the same nasty 'breed like rabbits' remark over and over.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
There are plenty of means of reliable birth control.
The actual reliability OF is up to the user.
Mirena "fell out", but had unprotected sex?
Forgot to get the Depo shot, but had unprotected sex?
Condom broke, but didn't stop/break out a new one?
Forgot to take the pill for a few days, but had unprotected sex?
If you are too stupid to figure out how NOT to get pregnant in the past few decades, your spawn has zero hope & please abort it ASAP.
No need for more stupid in this world.
In states without expanded medicaid, poor women without children have to pay for healthcare and for prescriptions. Many of those same states have eliminated most if not all planned parenthood clinics.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
In states without expanded medicaid, poor women without children have to pay for healthcare and for prescriptions. Many of those same states have eliminated most if not all planned parenthood clinics.
You know what life is never fair. I hate the conservatives for making PP public enemy number 1.

But again, the world doesn't owe anyone anything. We all have to deal with schitty cards at some point. We deal with it.

I hate seeing people on my side making excuses for poor decisions. Yes, I'm a liberal. I'm just not a regressive liberal.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Well why don't you go shout it from the rooftops? I'm sure that once you do no unmarried women will ever have another baby. I offered suggestions and you don't even respond, you just repeat the same nasty 'breed like rabbits' remark over and over.
Your suggestions are nothing but tossing money at the problem without dealing with the rabbit breeding habits. Are you afraid to hurt their feelings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies