Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 05:08 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I do the same only with silver. Traditionally, gold has been the currency of bankers while silver is the money of the people.
Try getting change for a 1 oz. gold coin when you pay for a weeks worth of groceries.
If we ever get a real societal collapse only food and bullets will be valuable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 05:15 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
So will silver and gold. All societies who collaborate need a monetary system to value and convert their bullets and food.

You give me a weeks worth of groceries and all you'll accept is bullets? I think not. Better to have an arbitrary system of exchange where you give me food, I pay in precious metals and you use the precious metals to buy bullets.

Besides, if bullets are the overriding currency, then I'll be a very rich man.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:19 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
So will silver and gold. All societies who collaborate need a monetary system to value and convert their bullets and food.

You give me a weeks worth of groceries and all you'll accept is bullets? I think not. Better to have an arbitrary system of exchange where you give me food, I pay in precious metals and you use the precious metals to buy bullets.

Besides, if bullets are the overriding currency, then I'll be a very rich man.
You can't eat gold it will be worthless

Old 11-12-2017, 06:22 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
I bought one at about $1,000 - watched it go up, spent some...then took the original purchase price and a little profit back in cash to my bank account.

I now own probably .7 bitcoins and I am letting them ride. I wish I would have bought more.....it was because of Trump that I bought...it was gonna be Gold, but I decided to try bitcoin first.

I guess I'll still have to buy that gold.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:24 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
You heard of debit cards backed by gold?

https://www.goldmoney.com
Someone else is holding "your" gold.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
OH NO not property taxes
If the government calculated your net worth each year and made you pay on it every year, would you have the same attitude?

Old 11-12-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Machetes do a better job for the $ spent.

This will never happen in the USA except maybe regional food shortage (weather, etc.)...at least not in our lifetime.

Bullets? I can mine lead from behind my house (called lead mine road) and pour all of them I like....but without a lot of brass they will just be musket balls or weak civil war types.

My crossbows will do just fine.

But according to all modern science, only a very small percentage of humans would fire on other humans. It's nice to pretend with video games and movies and all, but it wouldn't come down in the way you think unless that 5% of psycho's somehow banded together....

When put into such situations most people starve together. Maybe we eat each other, etc.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
You can't eat gold it will be worthless
So, you're retirement savings are all food and bullets?

Old 11-12-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Machetes do a better job for the $ spent.

This will never happen in the USA except maybe regional food shortage (weather, etc.)...at least not in our lifetime.

Bullets? I can mine lead from behind my house (called lead mine road) and pour all of them I like....but without a lot of brass they will just be musket balls or weak civil war types.

My crossbows will do just fine.

But according to all modern science, only a very small percentage of humans would fire on other humans. It's nice to pretend with video games and movies and all, but it wouldn't come down in the way you think unless that 5% of psycho's somehow banded together....

When put into such situations most people starve together. Maybe we eat each other, etc.
While war lords take take as much as they can by force.

Yes, in places like Somalia and Ethiopia, people starve together while war lords take anything they like.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:32 AM

My bro, who was a conspiracy nut before it was popular (1970 and since) has been telling me about what is gonna happen for 45 years. Guess what? NONE of it happened. He's poor and I'm well off (if Vanguard and Fidelity come through).

It's fun to talk about these silly things. But remember your Bible or whatever...

"When I was child I engaged in childish things. Now that I have grown I have cast those aside and act as a adult".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies