Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 08:35 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
This shooter had access to mental health care in the Air Force. His parents were millionaires, so they had good health insurance too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
2) mental health needs to be dealt with more proactively
Those are random quotes from the Devin Patrick Kelley thread. The failure of the mental health system is a common thread through these killings.

James Holmes, the Colorado theater killer, is perhaps the best example. He tried to contact his psychiatrist while his tenure in a graduate program was falling apart. Other examples are less clear-cut since we know less about their psychological care and treatment. Jared Lochner, who killed a bunch of people, had been expelled from Pima Community College. Adam Lanza's schooling in an affluent Newtown, Connecticut should have exposed him to mental health professionals.

In an incident strikingly similar to the Texas massacre, Esteban Santiago killed six people at Fort Lauderdale International Airport in January 2017. His downward spiral is detailed here, Fort Lauderdale shooter Esteban Santiago saw life falling apart. The article details how "a tape of a January 2016 domestic violence court hearing after his arrest for fighting with his girlfriend, a prosecutor lays out the case, explaining he broke down the bathroom door at Peterson’s home, then hit her in the head."

Kelley, the murderer in Texas, had similar domestic violence problems. They both had troubled military service.

De-institutionalization was a well-intentioned program. It was supposed to convert inhumane and, for the patient ineffective confinement into treatment in the community. This April 2, 1972 article, which I remembered reading,
The Patients Can Walk Out At Any Time at Bronx State Mental Hospital (link) made the case for de-institutionalization. Unfortunately few were as motivated as Israel Zwerling, and most looked at the process as a way of saving money.

The mental health system is not doing a good job of keeping these people under control. While the status quo ante before mass de-institutionalization was inhumane to the patients, it did keep the country safe from the lunatics. Perhaps the balance needs to be tipped more in favor of the public than the lunatics.

We can work at improving the humanity, and where appropriate the therapeutic nature of these centers. But we were safer with these people locked up than out loose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 08:56 PM

691 posts, read 419,993 times
people could benefit from not being self centered, and not minding everyone elses business, and faults.

the whole " im not so bad, look at those people epsofacto i am a good person" mentality is popular and harmful to society, because it gets also acted on, people push down those " who deserve it"

what can be expected of a selfish everyone sucks but me culture?

choas

Old 11-11-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstelm View Post
people could benefit from not being self centered, and not minding everyone elses business, and faults.

the whole " im not so bad, look at those people epsofacto i am a good person" mentality is popular and harmful to society, because it gets also acted on, people push down those " who deserve it"

what can be expected of a selfish everyone sucks but me culture?

choas
I don't understand your post or what it has to do with mental health or crime.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:37 PM

I get it. I was speaking to a mentality.

Honestly I believe theres no " discussion about government lead mental-state programs" that's going to stop violence

Family, public can. I know real people with mental health issues, and I see people using it as an excuse. I'm a Iraqi infantry vet, and been thru other things that are lightly called misfortunes. I did not peruse ptsd ... I did not hide my thoughts and feelings to the docs, I told them the truth, I did not get diagnosed with it.

It's been years and I work in public accommodations, I've seen countless people with various back stories and triggers from all generations proud that they got the diagnosis.

Like it's a green light to do... whatever

Wtf?

This thread going to help that? Or is it a "Maury/Wilkos-esk audience" distraction?

Old 11-11-2017, 10:54 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
we have to be careful though when dealing with mental health issues. while i agree that we do need to be more pro active, we cannot go down a path of going overboard and throwing people that are a bit eccentric into a mental hospital just because they are not "normal".

Old 11-12-2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
we have to be careful though when dealing with mental health issues. while i agree that we do need to be more pro active, we cannot go down a path of going overboard and throwing people that are a bit eccentric into a mental hospital just because they are not "normal".
I think someone who buys Siberian Huskies for target practice is far outside "normal."

Old 11-12-2017, 12:13 AM

Reference. There was individual -per husky receipt, that ended in a marksmanship death?

Old 11-12-2017, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstelm View Post
Reference. There was individual -per husky receipt, that ended in a marksmanship death?
He may have bought other dogs for target practice. I think he just punched the husky four times.

Class act.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:49 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Hindsight is 20/20. People cannot legally be held involuntarily in a mental health facility unless a physician or judge rules they are an immediate threat to harm themselves or others. Otherwise those with mental illnesses live in society and receive help on an outpatient basis. The main problem is no adult can be forced to take medication or receive therapy if they don't feel they need it. It's easy to say these killers should've been dealt with proactively, but it's not always that simple.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Hindsight is 20/20. People cannot legally be held involuntarily in a mental health facility unless a physician or judge rules they are an immediate threat to harm themselves or others. Otherwise those with mental illnesses live in society and receive help on an outpatient basis. The main problem is no adult can be forced to take medication or receive therapy if they don't feel they need it. It's easy to say these killers should've been dealt with proactively, but it's not always that simple.
I think we need to go back to more involuntary commitment. We can commit and then have hearings. At least fewer would die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies