Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 10:06 PM

21,468 posts, read 10,572,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The UK has the right idea. Some people do own guns there but it's hard to qualify to own one--and that's the way it should be in any civilized society. We are not living in the 1700s anymore. We are a country with a strong military, so Paul Revere wouldn't have to go riding through every village and town calling, "To arms! To arms!" No one needs to own a gun because we have adequate military defense and we have police officers. In the UK someone MIGHT have a gun for hunting or target shooting but mostly they have better things to do than obsess with guns.

I do agree with the US system of life in prison for murder. Once someone snaps and actually kills another person, I think (not that I have proof) but I THINK it wouldn't be that hard for them to snap again. No letting them out to kill anyone else. Ever.

I agree that the founding fathers would be appalled if they saw us shooting and killing each other. That's not what they were talking about when they said we have gun rights. They never thought we would have such a great military and police forces--who would have known back then?
I think the founding fathers would actually be surprised at how much more peaceful and civilized we are compared to their own very violent times.

As for our great police, they’re good at investigating murders after the fact, but generally not around when the murders are taking place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 10:08 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Who called this "the solution?" It's brilliant capitalism, but I doubt even the makers consider it "the solution". There isn't any "the solution" in the first place. And if there were, Americans probably wouldn't agree on it. That's why gun threads are so common, after all, because we don't agree on "the solution."
You know one way to ensure we won't have a shooter show up to a school and kill kids? ....not have guns everywhere.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:10 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Hate to tell you, but we don't have a "gun" problem. We have a society problem. There are many reasons for that society problem, but guns aren't one of them. Guns are merely a tool. You can be mad at the tool if you want to, but no amount of anti-gun legislation is going to stop the idiots who want to commit violence on innocent people. Until the anti-gun crowd wraps their head around that fact and starts addressing the issues in our society that have led us to this point, everything is noise.

You won't stop violence by banning guns or restricting magazines. You won't stop violence by making it harder for law-abiding citizens to obtain firearms. You won't stop violence by restricting anything, actually. If you magically made all guns disappear tomorrow, you would still see people committing atrocities - it would just be with different weapons.

What can we do to stop it? I don't have a magic answer, but I have some ideas. Stop teaching children that participation=success. It sets an unreasonable expectation. Stop demonizing police officers and soldiers for doing their jobs. Stop raising children in front of television screens because social media is more important than raising responsible, sane members of society. Stop medicating children in order to make them "fit in". Stop promoting public figures who believe that they are above the law due to their celebrity status. Start teaching the next generation that life is valuable and that video games aren't an accurate representation of real life. Start encouraging children to be a little bit different, and to embrace their differences.
This is an interesting post.

First, yes, of course, it's not the tool that commits the crime. But, what is a tool? A tool is something that makes a job easier or more efficient. If you want to do a job more easily, get the right tool. So, it stands to reason that if you want to make a job more difficult for someone, you could take the tool away.

Guns are a tool that makes killing easier than with bows and arrows or knives or blunt instruments...

Venn diagram: people who don't want to see any increased (or who want decreased) gun control and who say things like "guns don't kill people, people kill people" and people would think it was ludicrous to allow anyone to allow Walmart to sell hand grenades and other explosives.

As for how to stop it? Your ideas started out terribly, but got pretty good by the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
You know one way to ensure we won't have a shooter show up to a school and kill kids? ....not have guns everywhere.
Actually, no, that wouldn't work.
It only takes one gun for a shooter to shoot up a school - no need for them to be everywhere.
It would never be possible to completely rid the country of guns.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
That would work if it were possible, but it’s not possible.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That would work if it were possible, but it’s not possible.
Yeah its not, except for all of the places where it is. You know, like all other first world nations.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
This is an interesting post.

First, yes, of course, it's not the tool that commits the crime. But, what is a tool? A tool is something that makes a job easier or more efficient. If you want to do a job more easily, get the right tool. So, it stands to reason that if you want to make a job more difficult for someone, you could take the tool away.

Guns are a tool that makes killing easier than with bows and arrows or knives or blunt instruments...

Venn diagram: people who don't want to see any increased (or who want decreased) gun control and who say things like "guns don't kill people, people kill people" and people would think it was ludicrous to allow anyone to allow Walmart to sell hand grenades and other explosives.

As for how to stop it? Your ideas started out terribly, but got pretty good by the end.

Actually, no, that wouldn't work.
It only takes one gun for a shooter to shoot up a school - no need for them to be everywhere.
It would never be possible to completely rid the country of guns.
Our worst mass shooting killed 58 people, which is still 26 less than the Nice truck attack. It’s hard to argue that people this crazy won’t find a way. And if the end goal is to die then what would prevent them from breaking other laws to get black market guns that you know would be plentiful if by some miracle they “got rid of guns”? Mexico has very strict gun laws, but last I checked they have a very high gun death rate.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Yeah its not, except for all of the places where it is. You know, like all other first world nations.
Do they have as many guns as people there, and a gun culture that assures confiscation or buy back programs wouldn’t work? Do they share a border with Mexico? The only border Australia shares is with New Zealand. Otherwise, they are very remote so a buy back program works. In European countries I believe that the average citizen never really had many guns in the first place. Switzerland is the exception, where they require people to own guns but have one of the lowest murder rates in the world. I’d say culture matters, and ours is closer to Mexico than it is to Switzerland.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:28 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
If I had some more time and money I was seriously thinking about creating a line of bullet-resistant clothing that could be light and fashionable. You just never know these days.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Do they have as many guns as people there, and a gun culture that assures confiscation or buy back programs wouldn’t work? Do they share a border with Mexico? The only border Australia shares is with New Zealand. Otherwise, they are very remote so a buy back program works. In European countries I believe that the average citizen never really had many guns in the first place. Switzerland is the exception, where they require people to own guns but have one of the lowest murder rates in the world. I’d say culture matters, and ours is closer to Mexico than it is to Switzerland.
You don't need to take the guns away, just ban the sale of bullets to civilians.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
You don't need to take the guns away, just ban the sale of bullets to civilians.
Because banning the sale of drugs has worked so well, I’m sure ammo bans would work too.

You’d just have the mafia, local gangs, and drug cartels rushing to fill the gap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies