Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 02:19 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why I am a proud Republican: Republicans eliminating student loan deductions
Translation: I prefer that people not go to college because I fear they'll get smart and increase their odds of voting for democrats (since well-educated people tend to be more liberal), so I'm glad that Republicans are proposing something that stands a good chance of reducing the number of people who go to college.

It's not hard to figure out that motivation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 02:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
His premise is illogical.

People who can afford luxury foreign vacations and hundreds of dollars on coffee don't need to take out student loans

Man, these people don't think
For tax reasons, not needing a student loan, doesnt mean one want take them out..

The same thing with people who have money in the bank to pay cash for a house, but will still take out a mortgage..

Old 11-12-2017, 02:28 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times
Quote:
I don't know any students who are taking luxury foreign vacations and spending hundreds a month on coffee, and neither do you
Well, you are half right. I do not personally know any college students that take luxury foreign vacations all the time either. However, I do know several who spend anywhere from two to three hundred dollars a month on coffee. Two of which are my nephews. Both are doing their prerequisites at the community college right now. And both of those kids are addicted to Starbucks. Their mother(my sister) is just as bad as they are. We are talking 20-30 dollars a day between the two of them, since they usually stop at least twice a day. My sister was talking to me about it over lunch a little while back, saying how she was going to have to reduce her son's coffee allowance!

Old 11-12-2017, 02:51 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Most can agree that the student loan program is a mess. I found fault with some of Obama's college-related proposals preferring to see a move towards more German-style apprenticeship programs instead of a college-for-all approach.

The key, though, is to question whether eliminating student loan deductions is part of reforming educational funding OR primarily intended to support a tax cut for high-earners? Here, I think we all know the answer.

Why can't Donald from The Apprentice actually propose policy along those lines?

Old 11-12-2017, 03:31 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Translation: I prefer that people not go to college because I fear they'll get smart and increase their odds of voting for democrats (since well-educated people tend to be more liberal), so I'm glad that Republicans are proposing something that stands a good chance of reducing the number of people who go to college.

It's not hard to figure out that motivation.
It's like when ivy league educated Rick Santorum called Obama a snob for wanting more people to get a college education when he was last running for president....

Old 11-12-2017, 04:35 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://transparentcalifornia.com/sa...of-california/

So many professors and people working for the university system being compensated a million dollars or more per year.

Why should university students be able to deduct expenses from millionaire professors indoctrinating them with a leftist agenda.

Plus there are countless professors that teach a class or two a semester and they do research for academic papers that likely very few people read and of little impact to society as a whole.

The list of million dollar a year people working for the university system in California just keeps going on and on.

Maybe if these university students should question why these university employees are getting paid a million dollars plus a year!
Since you're so knowledgeable on the subject, please provide the list of "million dollar a year" professors and people working for the university system in California. I wonder how many of them are Phds and have contributed significant works to society, or if any of them are not, perhaps, "leftists"?

Old 11-12-2017, 04:52 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
I just sorted that list by salary and there is precisely one person on the UC payroll who makes a million bucks a year (two if you include "other pay"). And that's the CEO of the UC Medical Center. I'm sure CEO's of private medical centers probably make similar money.

Old 11-12-2017, 04:54 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
Quote:
I don't know any students who are taking luxury foreign vacations and spending hundreds a month on coffee, and neither do you
Thank you.

This is another fake news thread. There is no shame for some City-Data supporters, they'll lie about anything and make stuff up.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:02 PM

319 posts, read 199,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Why do Republicans hate education so much?
Because one who is educated would never buy the 'Trump cares about American jobs' crap or the 'If we cut taxes for the wealthy, it will trickle down to the common folk' crap.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:08 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,701,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
They can use Stafford loans for living expenses which in many cases includes luxury apartments.

https://www.credible.com/blog/studen...ving-expenses/
So, your proof is a blog that is offering helpful advice on how to use a student loan responsibly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies