Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 09:10 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,109,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Universities right now are teaching students to hate America, hate capitalism and blame straight white men for everything.
This false equivalence is just about the most comical thing i've read all night.

Who do you think designs all of the precision-munitions and weapons that our military depends on? The infrastructure over which we're communicating at this very moment? The means of transportation for our capitalist economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 09:36 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,281,993 times
Quote:
Universities right now are teaching students to hate America, hate capitalism and blame straight white men for everything.
Someone had been hanging out on Breitbart or T_D too long.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:41 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,187,467 times
Quote:
So they major in Humanities or Fine Arts, then have to take out a huge amount of loans, graduate in four years with huge debt, and are out of work or stuck at a greasy fast food joint.
I'm fine with not having tax deductions for student loans that fund degrees in useless majors like liberal arts.

I'd have loved to major in creative writing, but that is not a useful major. So I chose a STEM major instead - and I'm glad I did.

If you're wealthy enough to major in things purely for enjoyment, then you don't need the tax deduction anyway.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:55 PM

8,531 posts, read 3,390,179 times
Quote:
So they major in Humanities or Fine Arts, then have to take out a huge amount of loans, graduate in four years with huge debt, and are out of work or stuck at a greasy fast food joint.
So they major in Education, then have to take out a huge amount of loans, graduate in four years with huge debt, and end up working for no more than what a 4-years Liberal Arts major working in their field can get. So ... what about teaching degrees? Same cost - reward profile. Out?

*Some* STEM degrees (say, engineering in 4-years or 5-years) end up with more return-on-investment for college dollar spent than a 4-year Liberal Arts degree. Sure. To make the Liberal Arts degree start to "pay" commensurately more "investment" is required in the form of additional graduate education. Same may well be said for "unpractical" pure mathematics. Graduate school or bust. What about biology? Medical school or bust.

Moreover, like it or not, a 4-year degree now is considered the basic degree of education for about ANY responsible job. Maybe even to MANAGE that greasy fast food joint. What's a worker to do?

Old 11-12-2017, 09:58 PM

42,832 posts, read 26,588,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.bustle.com/p/got-student...fy-you-3211132

Glad, that our President and Congress wants to eliminate the student loan deduction.

The student loan deduction is in many ways a deduction for luxury foreign vacations for study purposes, deduction for living in luxurious apartments with resort amenities, deductions for several hundred a month latte, pastry and komboucha habits.

This isn't the 1990s anymore where university lived humble lifestyles. Now, many take out loans to live designer lifestyles to compete with very wealthy Chinese and Arab students.

Pell grants are more than enough to take care of the first two years of college. There is no reason why university students to have more than $5,000 in student loans anyway since the first two years can be pell grants at community college and the last two is basically 60 credits at $15,000 and pell grants max out at $11,500 for 2 years.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b01ec0dede412e

Oh well, looks like many of them don't even intend on paying it back anyway.

Can't wait until the garnishments start coming to these university graduates and they can't discharge the loans in bankruptcy. Hopefully, they won't be able deduct them anymore either!
Let me guess..you didn't go to college so you now hate everyone who has.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:58 PM

8,503 posts, read 4,617,051 times
The Republican war on education continues.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I know plenty of people who have non stem degrees who are doing just fine, it's amazing that you would claim the only job they can get is in a fast food joint.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:00 PM

18,982 posts, read 9,135,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Let me guess..you didn't go to college so you now hate everyone who has.
Yeah, in reading his posts over the last few months I'd say that was obvious.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm fine with not having tax deductions for student loans that fund degrees in useless majors like liberal arts.
I'd have loved to major in creative writing, but that is not a useful major. So I chose a STEM major instead - and I'm glad I did.
If you're wealthy enough to major in things purely for enjoyment, then you don't need the tax deduction anyway.
Yep everyone in the US needs a STEM degree, that way jobs for engineers and programmers can drop by 50% due to the glut of STEM graduates- simply brilliant idea

Old 11-12-2017, 10:01 PM

32,321 posts, read 15,272,293 times
This is an attack on the middle class which won't pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies