Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 05:23 AM

37,962 posts, read 17,940,911 times

Advertisements

Government needs to get out of the student loan business. All these kids getting degrees yet Americas education, compared to the rest of the world, has gone down hill.

Delinquency rates for student loans are now higher than those for credit cards, auto loans, home equity loans and mortgages.
Student debt is 1.4 trillion and 7% of GDP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 05:28 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.bustle.com/p/got-student...fy-you-3211132

Glad, that our President and Congress wants to eliminate the student loan deduction.

The student loan deduction is in many ways a deduction for luxury foreign vacations for study purposes, deduction for living in luxurious apartments with resort amenities, deductions for several hundred a month latte, pastry and komboucha habits.

Can't wait until the garnishments start coming to these university graduates and they can't discharge the loans in bankruptcy. Hopefully, they won't be able deduct them anymore either!
But million dollar artwork on the wall, ice sculptures, private jets and yachts and much more - this stuff IS deductible by US business....and as a proud Republican you support it.

I think I get the idea. You are a country club Republican. Let them others eat cake....unless they want to buy something from you.

Last edited by craigiri; 11-13-2017 at 05:39 AM..

Old 11-13-2017, 06:02 AM

33,598 posts, read 18,241,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
I don't know any students who are taking luxury foreign vacations and spending hundreds a month on coffee, and neither do you
Oh, how little you know , they do.. and more.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:24 AM

5,843 posts, read 3,261,995 times
The Republican party is struggling to find ways to transfer the burden of this corporate tax cut to the middle and lower classes. I don't see how the OPs suggestion benefits more than five or ten percent of the population at most. If post #10 is true, 0%.

Could the OP be more obvious?

Old 11-13-2017, 06:52 AM

18,525 posts, read 9,213,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
1 out of 1000 took a luxury vacation, so that means that all people with student loans are irresponsible.

Obviously. Only a fool would conclude otherwise.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:21 AM

2,692 posts, read 1,676,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Most can agree that the student loan program is a mess. I found fault with some of Obama's college-related proposals preferring to see a move towards more German-style apprenticeship programs instead of a college-for-all approach.

The key, though, is to question whether eliminating student loan deductions is part of reforming educational funding OR primarily intended to support a tax cut for high-earners? Here, I think we all know the answer.

Why can't Donald from The Apprentice actually propose policy along those lines?
You are the only poster who has made sense in this babble of idiotic posts from the rest.

Some of the 4 year undergrad degrees are utterly useless and not worth the paper the diploma is printed on. Yet those philosophy and sociology degrees cost the same as the STEM degrees. Most of this mess is by government getting into the college loan business. They should get out of it and let the private sector fund the loans. The cost of education will go down, which up till now has far outstripped inflation. Only the appropriate students will be given loan since the lenders will make sure that they loan to students in fields where they can expect to be repaid.

I agree that the government can partner with the private industry and provide aid to students not appropriate for college or willing to go to college and start apprenticeship. Pay a stipend and learn manufacturing skills that can be used to produce high quality goods in this country. Just like the Germans do.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:23 AM

20,229 posts, read 9,141,351 times
I'm tired of poor people bellyaching about being poor.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:26 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,983,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
1 out of 1000 took a luxury vacation, so that means that all people with student loans are irresponsible.

Obviously. Only a fool would conclude otherwise.

Right on the money

Old 11-13-2017, 07:56 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,468,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
wow- very thought provoking post, full of facts and citations as well.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:08 AM

25,677 posts, read 17,430,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
But million dollar artwork on the wall, ice sculptures, private jets and yachts and much more - this stuff IS deductible by US business....and as a proud Republican you support it.

I think I get the idea. You are a country club Republican. Let them others eat cake....unless they want to buy something from you.
You don't know nuthin'.

Read the rules for deducting the cost of yachts. You will find out that it is almost never done. Makes a great rant-point, though.
https://bradfordtaxinstitute.com/Con...our-Yacht.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies