Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 08:06 AM

10,534 posts, read 6,169,672 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=1ZAPwfrtAFY
(skip to 5 minutes in)

John Oliver identifies three key techniques Trump (and Fox and Friends) uses to deflect, protect himself from criticism and avoid consequences:

'De-legitimizing the media'
Crying 'fake news'.

'Whataboutism'
The practice of changing the subject to someone else's wrongdoing.
This technique is extensively used on Fox News (skip to 7:18 for examples)

Trolling.
Trump doing things / saying things that have no purpose or benefit other than to upset his perceived enemies. (skip to 10:50 for classic example on Fox News)

I thought the 'whataboutism' technique was illuminating in that I wasn't aware there was an actual name for it. It's a version of deflection that KellyAnne Conway used almost exclusively.
It's also WIDELY used on here all the time.
Trying to excuse one persons actions by deflecting to someone else.

Also used by Sean Hannity (15:54) to deflect from the Roy Moore scandal, and also widely used by Trump supporters on here: check out the Roy Moore threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 08:08 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
This is about as worthless as someone posting a Rush diatribe.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:11 AM

25,576 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
John Oliver summarises Trumps first year and the tactics he employs to avoid consequences.
Yeah. A lot of Lefties get their advice and news from late night British comedians.
Then they complain about Fox News!

Old 11-13-2017, 08:19 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,807,524 times
I thought his segment was spot-on. And yes, I am constantly calling out whataboutism on this board. It's hard to make it to the second post without some trumpee saying what about Hilary? What about obama? when the topic is trump.

I have also heard several of Trump's defenders on tv - just heard that guy Paris on CNN over the weekend- using whataboutism and referring to the Clinton administration, citing Hilary. Hey dumbasses, there is no clinton administration. She lost, remember?

Old 11-13-2017, 02:28 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,231,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I thought his segment was spot-on. And yes, I am constantly calling out whataboutism on this board. It's hard to make it to the second post without some trumpee saying what about Hilary? What about obama? when the topic is trump.

I have also heard several of Trump's defenders on tv - just heard that guy Paris on CNN over the weekend- using whataboutism and referring to the Clinton administration, citing Hilary. Hey dumbasses, there is no clinton administration. She lost, remember?
I couldn't agree more.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:40 PM

26,582 posts, read 14,454,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I have also heard several of Trump's defenders on tv - just heard that guy Paris on CNN over the weekend- using whataboutism .....
kellyanne conway has elevated it into bizarre performance art. as others have noted, she'll grab on to one word in an interview and spin it into full-blown whatabout. it would be nice if in interviews the network would flash in large bold letters "whatabout!" every time she does this but...... i doubt that will happen.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:46 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,901,836 times
I never even saw this guy before. Why should we care?

Old 11-13-2017, 02:52 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,461,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
'Whataboutism'
The practice of changing the subject to someone else's wrongdoing.
This technique is extensively used on Fox News (skip to 7:18 for examples)

I thought the 'whataboutism' technique was illuminating in that I wasn't aware there was an actual name for it. It's a version of deflection that KellyAnne Conway used almost exclusively.
It's also WIDELY used on here all the time.
Trying to excuse one persons actions by deflecting to someone else.

Also used by Sean Hannity (15:54) to deflect from the Roy Moore scandal, and also widely used by Trump supporters on here: check out the Roy Moore threads.
How about it.
B-but-but! ... (your red-herring here)

The president is shifty, his spokespeople are shifty, and some of the posters here are doing the same thing. They can not defend the indefensible.

"Look at that shiny object over there!"

If people have to resort to such tactics continually they can not be trusted (and that goes for president Flim-Flam bigly). They are up to no good.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:52 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,989,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
kellyanne conway has elevated it into bizarre performance art. as others have noted, she'll grab on to one word in an interview and spin it into full-blown whatabout. it would be nice if in interviews the network would flash in large bold letters "whatabout!" every time she does this but...... i doubt that will happen.
What they should do is just stop interviewing her, as she has nothing rational to say.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:55 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
So, Trump uses the same techniques that every other politician does? Hold the presses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies