Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 11:31 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree. I used to see this a lot as well in the Atlanta forums for all sorts of ethnic groups.

People choose to be segregated today primarily.

I honestly don't see the social segregation as all that bad of a thing.
Many choose to be around those with common backgrounds, interests and cultural similarities.

As long as the government isn't forcing integration or segregation, I'm fine with people choosing who they want to live around.

I like being in a city with many cultures and ethnicities because I end up with better choices in food, art, architecture and even economic opportunity. I like diversity as long as it's not forced.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:58 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,099 times
Quote:
Segregation is primarily a choice today.
This is madness. Liberal logic is astounding.

If it's by choice it is not segregation at all.

Segregation was a horrible practice in U.S history where people were forcibly excluded from doing anything and going anywhere in their own country. My family tells me harrowing stories about their experience making a road trip from Texas to Oklahoma to visit relatives in the 40s when they were not welcome anywhere and faced nasty diatribe and threats every stop they made.

There are people who died because they were denied emergency services at white-only hospitals. That's what segregation is.

When you use the term "segregation" loosely in the way you are doing, it cheapens what segregation was.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:04 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,921 times
Quote:
You are only looking at it from a government/institution perspective. Note that segregation occurred in the northern and western regions of the USA as well and it was not usually legally forced. Primarily it was only legally forced in the south.

It was "traditional" meaning people chose to segregate themselves based on inter or extra personal reasons in other places across the country.

From Merriam Webster on the definition of "segregation" (which is a synonym for "separation")

See definition 2a that is blue above. It can be enforced or voluntary.

I've shared before I worked in housing many years. Segregation still occurs. It is driven today not by force but by social or economic reasons.

Some would call this de facto segregation.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:06 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Some would call it de facto segregation.
Not even that.

De facto segregation is FORCED exclusion that is practiced by custom.

There is no forced exclusion(segregation) of any kind today.

Today what we have is people choosing to live in ethnic communities or in places that they can afford.

Segregation does not exist.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:35 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
This is madness. Liberal logic is astounding.

If it's by choice it is not segregation at all.

Segregation was a horrible practice in U.S history where people were forcibly excluded from doing anything and going anywhere in their own country. My family tells me harrowing stories about their experience making a road trip from Texas to Oklahoma to visit relatives in the 40s when they were not welcome anywhere and faced nasty diatribe and threats every stop they made.

There are people who died because they were denied emergency services at white-only hospitals. That's what segregation is.

When you use the term "segregation" loosely in the way you are doing, it cheapens what segregation was.
Sigh...I posted a definition of "segregation" for you. As said definition noted, it can be enforced or voluntary.

"Segregation" is a synonym for "separation." They are the same thing.

Also, again, legalized segregation policies do not exist today like you are kind of going nutty over with the italics (and you call me a liberal lol - that's a typical liberal trait).

I also am not a liberal.

People self-segregate.

For instance, I'm black, though I don't mind living around all types of people (who aren't a$$holes) I'd rather live in a majority black neighborhood and during my adult years, I pretty much always have. It is a choice of mine to do so. I may not choose to do so in the future (we are eyeing a neighborhood to move to in the next 5 years because of the amenities/views of that locale), but for right now, I'd rather self segregate.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:39 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,383 times
Quote:
Sigh...I posted a definition of "segregation" for you. As said definition noted, it can be enforced or voluntary.

"Segregation" is a synonym for "separation." They are the same thing.

Also, again, legalized segregation policies do not exist today like you are kind of going nutty over with the italics (and you call me a liberal lol - that's a typical liberal trait).

I also am not a liberal.

People self-segregate.

For instance, I'm black, though I don't mind living around all types of people (who aren't a$$holes) I'd rather live in a majority black neighborhood and during my adult years, I pretty much always have. It is a choice of mine to do so. I may not choose to do so in the future (we are eyeing a neighborhood to move to in the next 5 years because of the amenities/views of that locale), but for right now, I'd rather self segregate.
The vast majority of people associate segregation with government enforcement. And separation is more voluntary. You're arguing semantics here.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Not even that.

De facto segregation is FORCED exclusion that is practiced by custom.

There is no forced exclusion(segregation) of any kind today.

Today what we have is people choosing to live in ethnic communities or in places that they can afford.

Segregation does not exist.
The blue is incorrect. What I described indeed is "de facto segregation." De factor means "by fact" not enforced.

You are getting stuck in the your high school history classes and basing your view on institutional segregation policies. As you noted, they no longer exist. Today we have social/de facto segregation by income and by race/ethnicity.

Check out this national map showing racial populations for our entire country. You can zoom in and see where cities are segregated.

Segregation Map based on 2010 Census Population

Old 11-13-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
The vast majority of people associate segregation with government enforcement. And separation is more voluntary. You're arguing semantics here.
Not arguing semantics. As noted, I worked in housing for many years. As the OP stated it is called "de facto segregation" or social segregation. Not "separation."

I honestly am surprised that many of you are unaware of the fact that segregation is not indicative of any sort of policy today and that it is a synonym of "separation." They can be used interchangeably but from a housing perspective, and I took that this thread is from a housing/residence perspective (and an after effect - school districts) so the term "segregation" in that respect is the right term. But you can call it "separation" if you want. I honestly have never heard anyone speak ill about "separation" except for a divorce lol.

ETA: Will note that Tritone is the one arguing semantics. He/she singled out my post when I just answered the OPs question from my own perspective so I'm clarifying for him/her that segregation is not always about southern style segregation policies from the 20th century.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 11-13-2017 at 02:00 PM..

Old 11-13-2017, 01:46 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Do you believe there is a difference between “segregation” and general separation? Some would argue that cities such as Houston, TX are segregated. NYC would be considered segregated by some due to its many enclaves. Normally when I think “segregation”, I think of separation that is mandated by law. I’m not an advocate for separation generally speaking, but I do not believe that a racially homogeneous community is necessarily racist (given that no one is banned from patronizing).

Would you consider your city to be segregated? Would you rather reside in a racially homogeneous or an integrated community?
I don't care who I live by as long as the area is low crime. For the greater L.A. area that means you have to live in predominately Asian or white majority communities.

Whatever.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:49 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
I don't think there is much of a difference between separation and segregation. Both mean keeping people apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies