Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 09:39 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times

Advertisements

This is one reason people are pushing off having kids later and later, or just opting to not have them at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 09:44 AM

21,144 posts, read 19,722,567 times
I think we’ll see the growth of small and mid-sized cities and the stagnation of large cities. Big factors will include:

-Cost of living
-Aversion to lengthy commutes
-Traffic congestion, noise, pollution, soaring cost of infrastructure
-A lessening need for workers to be physically present at major corporate headquarters, due to technology
-Aversion to congestion and feeling like you are just a number
-Advantages of being a big fish in a small pond vs. a small fish in a big pond
-Being in the lead of a smaller towns resurgence instead of joining the party after it is well under way
-Environmental, psychological and sociological concerns about over-population and sprawl
-etc.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:02 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
The affordable suburbs are getting pushed out farther, 1.5 hrs each way at least. Not to mention that white collar jobs nowadays aren't 8-hr days, more like 10-12. How can a society raise families if both parents are gone from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.?
I knew a trio that worked in the same company that drove alternating. They all lived in the Allentown PA area and worked right across the river from NYC in NJ. 93 miles each way.

When I came a hairs breadth from getting a job in Indy and my local here friends made fun of me I simply showed them online a 2700 SF 4/3 3 car garage house in a great suburb for 235K. They still said blech but the making fun part ended there.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:06 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I think we’ll see the growth of small and mid-sized cities and the stagnation of large cities. Big factors will include:

-Cost of living
-Aversion to lengthy commutes
-Traffic congestion, noise, pollution, soaring cost of infrastructure
-A lessening need for workers to be physically present at major corporate headquarters, due to technology
-Aversion to congestion and feeling like you are just a number
-Advantages of being a big fish in a small pond vs. a small fish in a big pond
-Being in the lead of a smaller towns resurgence instead of joining the party after it is well under way
-Environmental, psychological and sociological concerns about over-population and sprawl
-etc.
The most popular cities for young people already seem to be mid-sized. Places like Austin, Portland, Seattle, Denver, Charlotte, Nashville, etc are all mid-sized.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:16 AM

1,188 posts, read 959,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
I knew a trio that worked in the same company that drove alternating. They all lived in the Allentown PA area and worked right across the river from NYC in NJ. 93 miles each way.
Distance isn't the problem; time is.

93 miles driven from your driveway to a parking space right in front of your office could take 70 minutes if it's on a freeway with no traffic. Not a problem if you only work 8 hrs; you still can get 8 hrs of sleep and have 5 free hours in the day.

93 miles on high-speed rail could take 20 minutes.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:19 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
We have a situation in America where virtually all the jobs that college grads get are located in the same few trendy cities (San Francisco, Boston, Seattle, NYC, Chicago). This wasn't a problem a decade ago because the city limits themselves were affordable and the suburbs were commutable. Now the cities and suburbs have become unlivable due to the population growth. This is fine with the 20-somethings for now since they like living where all the "action" is and don't mind a 380-sqft studio apt. But I wonder what will happen when they get married and want to have kids in their 30s or 40s. I guess it's possible that by that time their companies will push them out to make room for the next generation of 20-somethings who want the urban lifestyle. Another possibility is they just accept a downgraded lifestyle and live in expensive, small condos like families do in Tokyo and Seoul. Yet another possibility is that companies start building offices in non-trendy areas where their workers can have a traditional middle-class lifestyle.

What do you think?
I think I see plenty of young people with children in my son's neighborhood in Chicago. Schools within walking distance.

Those that want to move to the burbs - move to the burbs. There are trains every day to take you into the city if you work there.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:25 AM

1,188 posts, read 959,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I think I see plenty of young people with children in my son's neighborhood in Chicago. Schools within walking distance.

Those that want to move to the burbs - move to the burbs. There are trains every day to take you into the city if you work there.
Chicago might not have been a good example. I hear the geography and infrastructure make it still possible to live in the suburbs.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:21 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
We have a situation in America where virtually all the jobs that college grads get are located in the same few trendy cities (San Francisco, Boston, Seattle, NYC, Chicago).

This is untrue. What source says that "virtually all" jobs for college grads are in the same few trendy cities?

For example, there are a lot of teachers and nurses graduating college each year and those jobs are spread out everywhere. These are just 2 career paths, but there are many other jobs for grads that are spread in many locations outside the few 'trendy cities".

Old 11-13-2017, 11:22 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
I think they should move to a different, smaller, cheaper city.

I moved back to my hometown and make more money than I made in a bigger city and the COL is much less. There are plenty of smaller metros for college graduates to move to where they can afford to live and have a decent job.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:26 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default What ultimately happens to the 20- and 30-somethings who are working in big cities?

Quote:

What do you think?
I don't have to think about it. I have family in NYC, DC and Chicago. They're all now in their mid 30s to 40s with kids now. All college grads and in solid careers.

They're all doing fine. Some way better than fine. All doing better than I did at their age.

Kids today are sharp and prepared to do what it takes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies